U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 12:10 PM

851 posts, read 825,257 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So I've been getting into pickling vegetables at home lately (Just refrigerator-style, not shelf stable stuff). I made a successful batch of escabeche (Hot pickled jalapenos and carrots, taqueria/taco truck style), but tried a dill pickle cucumber recipe that turned out pretty bad. Way too sour, and way too salty.

I used a 1:1 ratio of water to vinegar, and less salt than the recipe called for in the brine (I think it was 2 tablespoons for about 2 quarts of pickles). I did not add any sugar, but now I'm being told you should to avoid excessive sourness.

Anyone have a good recipe to share that might work for me? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 04:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 1,959,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

So I've been getting into pickling vegetables at home lately (Just refrigerator-style, not shelf stable stuff). I made a successful batch of escabeche (Hot pickled jalapenos and carrots, taqueria/taco truck style), but tried a dill pickle cucumber recipe that turned out pretty bad. Way too sour, and way too salty.

I used a 1:1 ratio of water to vinegar, and less salt than the recipe called for in the brine (I think it was 2 tablespoons for about 2 quarts of pickles). I did not add any sugar, but now I'm being told you should to avoid excessive sourness.

Anyone have a good recipe to share that might work for me? Thanks in advance!
https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/e...-dill-pickles/

Her recipes are usually quite good.

If you're really worried about salt, I've had some luck using Kombu, a dried seaweed, instead of salt.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:30 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,681,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/e...-dill-pickles/

Her recipes are usually quite good.
Agreed! I've never made pickles but I'd always trust Deb.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM

11,708 posts, read 18,577,290 times
My understanding is that cucumber pickles must be absolutely fresh, as in bought at the farmer's market that day.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:14 AM

76,966 posts, read 89,797,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My understanding is that cucumber pickles must be absolutely fresh, as in bought at the farmer's market that day.
We make dill pickles every year and not the refrigerator type but the processed kind. Regardless, yes the idea is to get the cukes as fresh as possible. You can get good results from ones that were picked a day or two prior to processing, but absolutely no more. We will normally buy them fresh from the farmers market and i will start the process that night. We will can them the following morning. There is nothing more disappointing than to spend all that time over a hot stove just to end up with a mushy jar of so called pickles and remember you have to use pickling cucumbers. No other kind will work.

BTW: I learned just last year the importance of using only pickling cukes. We have a wonderful veggie and honey farm not too far from us. We venture out there a couple of times to buy stuff from the owner. Last year we waited and waited for the pickling cukes to come in. Well they didn't so I went ahead and purchased freshly picked small cukes from him. I now promise my daughter who cans with me, I won't do it again. The last 2 jars went bye bye yesterday and no, not into our tummies but into the trash. I didn't even feed them to the garbage disposal. I was afraid it would spit them back at me.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 PM

28,397 posts, read 27,181,037 times
I like this recipe a bit more.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/easy-re...ickles-recipe/

I'd definitely use more vinegar, less garlic, and a little sugar.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:42 AM

76,966 posts, read 89,797,150 times
We usually do not use a recipe anymore, but I do have one that I used for years and have pretty much memorized it, although we usually tweek it. Because we are spice lovers and like a kick in our pickles we add hot peppers and a lot of garlic. Other than that it is mainly just the cukes, the canning salt, vinegar and water. We do not use sugar if we are making basic dills, but the more dill the better and we do add onions sometimes. Before we start the canning itself we either use lime and water to soak the cukes or we use ice water and a lot of salt, then drain and rinse them well. Only 2 more weeks and we will at it for this year. Yep, we start our summer canning on the 20th. Actually I will probably start today, I am going to make a few jars of jalapeno watermelon jelly.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:17 AM

7,186 posts, read 8,822,586 times
I've successfully used a few of the recipes, and definitely read through this, found here:

https://foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/p...Pickles_08.pdf

Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 AM

4,620 posts, read 3,139,643 times
Here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQgYj6y0IBg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes