Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Often on "Chef shows" I hear the host chef say to a guest cook who is prepping a meal, "that is a horrible combination - it won't work", then taste the finished meal and immediately retract their earlier opinion. Have you tried anything off beat that worked out well, or really badly?

For Example:
I had a plan this morning of cooking up some French Toast, unfortunately I don't have any white bread in the house. Then I thought "I have some Tandoori Naan in the freezer." But I quickly dismissed that idea idea because it is probably too savory to work with the sweet and it turns out I have already used up all I have in the house anyway.

Then I decided next time I buy some Naan I will give it a try... what can it hurt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I tried to make some simple burgers last night to use a lb of GB I found in the freezer. BURNED most of it. Grrrrr.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Often on "Chef shows" I hear the host chef say to a guest cook who is prepping a meal, "that is a horrible combination - it won't work", then taste the finished meal and immediately retract their earlier opinion. Have you tried anything off beat that worked out well, or really badly?

For Example:
I had a plan this morning of cooking up some French Toast, unfortunately I don't have any white bread in the house. Then I thought "I have some Tandoori Naan in the freezer." But I quickly dismissed that idea idea because it is probably too savory to work with the sweet and it turns out I have already used up all I have in the house anyway.

Then I decided next time I buy some Naan I will give it a try... what can it hurt!
Don't people usually eat French toast with butter and syrup (or fruit), like they do with pancakes and waffles? I cannot imagine butter and syrup with naan (and I LOVE naan!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I tried to make some simple burgers last night to use a lb of GB I found in the freezer. BURNED most of it. Grrrrr.
How did you burn the burgers? Were you just not watching them as they cooked? (I usually do mine on the stovetop so it's easy to see if they are done or not.)

I can't remember any culinary disasters ... just sometimes things didn't taste as great as I expected them to.

I almost tried avocado in scrambled eggs ... I LOVE avocado and was trying to come up with different add-on's for the scrambled eggs (or egg whites) I often have for breakfast (started a thread about this a couple of years ago, got lots of GREAT suggestions). Luckily I came to my senses before adding the avocado.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Don't people usually eat French toast with butter and syrup (or fruit), like they do with pancakes and waffles? I cannot imagine butter and syrup with naan (and I LOVE naan!).

How did you burn the burgers? Were you just not watching them as they cooked? (I usually do mine on the stovetop so it's easy to see if they are done or not.)

I can't remember any culinary disasters ... just sometimes things didn't taste as great as I expected them to.

I almost tried avocado in scrambled eggs ... I LOVE avocado and was trying to come up with different add-on's for the scrambled eggs (or egg whites) I often have for breakfast (started a thread about this a couple of years ago, got lots of GREAT suggestions). Luckily I came to my senses before adding the avocado.
Ha! I love avocado and I love egg but together ....no don't think so. I've cooked all kinds of stuff but nothing too far fetched. Oh, I made divinity for the first time a while back and it came out perfect first time.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 AM

50 posts, read 35,257 times
I got this kind of an epic fail experience in baking the chocolate chip cookies for the 1st time. I misread the 1 tsp salt and added 1 tbsp of salt. The result was kind of salty of course but still edible. The next time I tried to make a new pastry or cookie, I really make it sure that I was able to read the instructions precisely to avoid the same mistake again.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Ha! I love avocado and I love egg but together ....no don't think so. I've cooked all kinds of stuff but nothing too far fetched. Oh, I made divinity for the first time a while back and it came out perfect first time.
There was a time, a couple of years ago, that the egg and avocado combo was the new "thing." I saw it everywhere online.

https://www.google.com/search?q=avoc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Well, I love avocado. I love eggs. What could go wrong? Answer: EVERYTHING!

For me, at least, the reason that it could go wrong is the same reason of why I like tuna sandwiches but tuna melts and (the idea of) tuna casserole makes me shiver. That reason: WARM TUNA. No. I just can't do that.

And what could go wrong -- and *did* go wrong -- with the egg in the avocado was the same story: WARM AVOCADO. No, no, no. I took two bites and -- I kid you not -- I gagged.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
They always say on TV that seafood and cheese don't go together, but I disagree. I've had grilled oysters with buttery Parmesan topping and the scallop dish I make has a Parmesan crumb topping too.

Maybe no cheese, except Parmesan. I can't think of a gooey cheese fish dish that sounds good.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They always say on TV that seafood and cheese don't go together, but I disagree. I've had grilled oysters with buttery Parmesan topping and the scallop dish I make has a Parmesan crumb topping too.

Maybe no cheese, except Parmesan. I can't think of a gooey cheese fish dish that sounds good.
Whenever someone says "no cheese with seafood," I respond with "Coquilles St. Jacques." Which either shuts them up or has them nodding and saying "yeah."

The first time I made this dish may be one of my "wildest culinary experiments." I bought scallops, I bought Swiss cheese, and I knew I had the wine at home. But as I was getting started cooking, I realized I only had red wine. I wasn't going to not make dinner—I had guests—so I used the red wine in place of the white wine the recipe calls for. I think it's what Julia would have done; it was her recipe.

It turned out a sludgey gray-purple, mostly hidden at first sight by the grated cheese topping, but it was no less delicious for its unattractiveness. No one objected, or even noticed, at least not out loud.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:03 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Actually, cheese and seafood aren't unheard of in Mexican food. One of the best shrimp dishes I've ever tasted was shrimp stuffed with cheese then wrapped in bacon.

Also -
Lobster thermador

Shrimp Alfredo

Lox and cream cheese

Interesting article Why are Cheese and Seafood Supposedly a Bad Combo? It's Delicious! | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

Old 08-07-2017, 05:10 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
I love avocado and mix it in with my eggs. Delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes