Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:15 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times

Advertisements

When home-making bread, why do many make little separate holes in the flour to add yeast, salt and sugar? ---First, why not just sprinkle them? Second, why separate the holes of each ingredient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Salt will kill yeast. They should be separated until the yeast is mixed in with the other ingredients. The sugar will feed the yeast and those can be placed in together.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Thanks, didn't know salt kills yeast. But then, why not sprinkle yeast, then sprinkle other ingredients, and salt, which makes it easier to mix? why holes?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thanks, didn't know salt kills yeast. But then, why not sprinkle yeast, then sprinkle other ingredients, and salt, which makes it easier to mix? why holes?
Well, holes really aren't needed. Just mix appropriately.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Instead of holes, when my mom made her bread she would measure out a quantity of warm water, the yeast, and sugar into a measuring cup and had the yeast activate and bubble up to the top before pouring the liquid into the bowl of salted flour. It was then that she poured it into the hole in the flour because it was easiest to work the flour in gradually, and all that mixing and kneading worked the gluten for a delicious chewiness and crispy crust that commercial bread products just can compare.

I use a bread maker myself when making bread, and it requires sprinkling the yeast on top of the flour, which sits on top of the water. The paddle on the bottom of the pan acts like the baker's hand, inverted, that stirs and kneads the water into the flour. Comes out perfect every time, and the best part is I don't have to do any of the real work!

Old 07-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Ha, I just found the holes are cute .
It seems to me hand-making bread is fun in itself, and seems quite simple.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I used to meticulously keep my yeast and salt separate. I used to make a sponge, I used to proof, and so on.

Now I just throw all the dry in and mix. Then I add the water and mix. Boom. Let it rise. No knead.

I have been making dough about four times a week this summer with no rising problems with my slapdash methods.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Instead of holes, when my mom made her bread she would measure out a quantity of warm water, the yeast, and sugar into a measuring cup and had the yeast activate and bubble up to the top before pouring the liquid into the bowl of salted flour. It was then that she poured it into the hole in the flour because it was easiest to work the flour in gradually, and all that mixing and kneading worked the gluten for a delicious chewiness and crispy crust that commercial bread products just can compare.
The only yeast-risen thing I make is pizza dough, and I always add my warm water to my yeast and sugar in a small bowl, stir till dissolved, and let it go to work for ten minutes. Then it gets dumped into a bigger bowl with my dry ingredients and olive oil and immediately mixed, then kneaded.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The only yeast-risen thing I make is pizza dough, and I always add my warm water to my yeast and sugar in a small bowl, stir till dissolved, and let it go to work for ten minutes. Then it gets dumped into a bigger bowl with my dry ingredients and olive oil and immediately mixed, then kneaded.
Yes, I'm old school too. I still proof my yeast before using it to make sure it's active. However, with the newer instant, fast active brands of yeast, that step is not needed anymore. The yeast can be added to the flour and other ingredients straight away. But...I still proof anyway.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Because that's what Grandma used to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes