Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 AM

921 posts, read 520,943 times

Advertisements

I tried a very popular recipe for the "whole sha-bang" from the boiling crab.
I've never eaten there so I have no comparison, but I wasn't real impressed.

has anyone made their own? Is it more like cajun bbq shrimp recipe?

I'd like to change it up, looking for suggestions.

How to you like the whole shabang compared to cajun bbq shrimp?

Any and all recipes much appreciated.

Looking to make this as a "dip" or cook crabs(king, snow, blues) in.

Thanks all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,332,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I tried a very popular recipe for the "whole sha-bang" from the boiling crab.
I've never eaten there so I have no comparison, but I wasn't real impressed.

has anyone made their own? Is it more like cajun bbq shrimp recipe?

I'd like to change it up, looking for suggestions.

How to you like the whole shabang compared to cajun bbq shrimp?

Any and all recipes much appreciated.

Looking to make this as a "dip" or cook crabs(king, snow, blues) in.

Thanks all!
Moving this to Recipes forum for you.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,124,884 times
I'm not sure what a "shebang" is but what in particular didn't you like?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM

19,360 posts, read 27,567,150 times
Here's a nice writeup on the shrimp shebang. https://www.culturalchromatics.com/recipe-shrimp-boil/

There us a restaurant called "The boiling crab" that makes this dish. I'm guessing that's what the OP is referring to. It has no crab.

Comparing the shebang recioe9to a cajun shrimp recipe, one glaring difference pops out: the shebang shrimp are boiled while cajun shrimp are sautéed.

One other thing pops out to me: both look too darn messy to eat!

Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 AM

986 posts, read 1,658,120 times
I've used this recipe, and it was pretty spot on. Aside from adding my own seafood (king or snow crab legs, lobster tails, etc.), sometimes I make a few minor changes, such as using andouille sausage instead of chorizo, or sometimes adding red skin potatoes to the boil first before the seafood. I boil everything first (I usually add a little beer and drink the rest ), then at the end when I'm ready to serve it, I toss everything in the Reynolds Wrap oven bags and serve it with extra sauce and lemons on the side. It's delicious. I can't say it's like cajun BBQ shrimp, but if you've ever had a crab/shrimp boil this is an AWESOME recipe. It's not healthy though!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 AM

921 posts, read 520,943 times
My apologies. Yes, the boiling crab recipe. I've never eaten there, but there was a plenty of hype about the whole sha bang sauce/spice.

It is very messy, might be best as a dip for seafood.

From what I'd seen, I just figured it was a "big deal" for everyone to try. Just wanted opinions.

For me, so much butter that it gave me heart burn. Or maybe my heart just got clogged up with the butter. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes