Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:31 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

I was at Walmart today & bought a giant bag of frozen flounder because it was 1/2-price. I don't think I've ever eaten flounder before. Each piece is individually wrapped & very, very thin. The problem is I don't know how to cook fish this thin & all the recipes I find contain dairy (mostly parmesan cheese), which I'm allergic to... so I'm at a loss.

Also, I'm in SoFla & don't want to turn on my oven to bake 1 piece of fish, when it's almost 90-degrees, so would like to ask if anyone has a recipe for cooking in a cast iron pan on the stove, sans dairy/cheese?

I'm unused to cooking fish, so forgive my naivete... but, because of severe allergies, need a recipe sans any dairy. My best guess was poaching in white wine? But, I'm unsure... all recipes I can find are for baking in parmesan.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
"Flounder" is just "sole". You cook it QUICKLY. Just toss it in flour and sauté ( I use peanut oil) . Tine depends on thickness of filets.. Sounds like you have plenty, so just experiment. Don't forget the tartar sauce!

Old 10-10-2017, 12:42 PM

130,279 posts, read 12,099,804 times
If it is a thin filet, it will cook quickly, your idea of poaching in white wine is good & add some capers & maybe a bay leaf too. Or a quick pan fry in oil is always good.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
I don't cook fish much, but when I do, I just test for doneness by seeing if it flakes when I check with a fork. If it does, it is.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Season it as you would any white fish you like, saute it in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, turn once, and that's all you have to do. Good with a lemon wedge.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Great responses, thank you. I made some for lunch today & followed what was said above, with some modification... thawed for just 10-min in water (it's all individually vacuum sealed), then quickly fried in a hot pan in olive oil. I didn't have any wine on hand, so will get some tomorrow for the next round to poach with bay leaf & capers, like suggested.

I don't know what sole is, but I'm not as familiar with white fish... I'm used to salmon, swordfish, bluefish (the latter being my fave, but it's hard to find) & sushi with raw tuna or cooked shrimp. Oh & I can't do tartar sauce... allergic to dairy & honestly, I don't like it anyway. I like to taste the fish, so a touch of salt, pepper & maybe garlic/onion pwd are enough.

I like it enough that I'll return to the store for another batch, since the price was so good. I was just surprised at how thinly sliced it is... it's great for cooking fast, but 2 slices barely filled me.

Thank you again, everyone!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Fish sandwiches?

While I have your attention, may I ask which types of fish would be best for fish sandwiches? And, do I want thick cuts?

My mum will be visiting soon & she'd love those. I'll even make her some homemade tartar sauce, Eureka1!

Thank you, again!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I can't do tartar sauce... allergic to dairy & honestly, I don't like it anyway.
There are no dairy products in tartar sauce. It's mayonnaise-based. I don't like it, either, fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
While I have your attention, may I ask which types of fish would be best for fish sandwiches? And, do I want thick cuts?
In Pittsburgh, PA, people's reverence for the fish sandwich borders on sacramental during Lent. They mostly use cod. And it's thick.

http://www.wpxi.com/station/pittsbur...ners/201443683

Last edited by jay5835; 10-11-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Flounders are flat fish if you look up a picture of them, so being thin makes sense. I love them, but some people think they taste "fishy" (??), so I'm glad you liked it. They're good for stuffing because if they're thin you can roll them around some filling. I know you can find a stuffed flounder recipe easily and other than butter, which you can substitute with oil, I can't think of anything dairy in the recipe. It's usually baked, but no reason you couldn't cook each side and finish with a lid on on top of the stove.

For fish sandwiches, I'd get something thicker and more even in size, like cod or halibut. You could probably use salmon if your mom likes the taste and you're more used to cooking it.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Tyler Florence has a good recipe for tartar sauce.[url="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/homemade-tartar-sauce-recipe-1947389"] Sorry about the llnk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes