Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 02:51 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times

Advertisements

I do make a good sausage based stuffing, I just do what I watched my Grandmother do for many years.

Thing is, it pretty much has no real eye appeal. It looks like slop in a bowl. I always make extra so there is a Pyrex bowl of "dressing" and then the stuffing in the bird.

I buy Pepperidge Farm seasoned cubes, a sage based sausage tube, onions and celery and poultry seasoning. I also add 2 eggs, like Grandma did.. Salt& pepper of course..

Sautee the onion and celery, transfer to a big bowl. Add the bread cubes and raw sausage, veggie or chicken stock and pretty much mash the heck out of it with gloved hands.. Am I just over mixing?

I see these awesome photo's of stuffing online, the bread cubes look like, well.. Cubes of bread.
Not this mash stuff I make.

People like my stuffing, in fact they say it's some of the best they have had..
I'm not sure I'd change on Holidays but I'd like to experiment on my Mother (Poor Mom, but hey I was forced to drink milk out of her boobs) a picture perfect stuffing when I roast a chicken and have her over for dinner..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:51 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It sounds like you are making meat loaf. If you want stuffing with cubes of bread you can't goosh the stuffing when you make it.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:55 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I would also cut back on the broth, maybe add half of your usual amount, but the liquid will turn the bread into mush. I also agree with OWS, that you goosh it too much.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:19 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
My mom uses Arnold bread stuffing cubes. She adds butter, saute'd onions, celery, mushrooms and Jimmy dean breakfast sausage (out of the casing) Poultry seasoning and chicken broth. We never add eggs. she also mixes it but just to incorporate everything. She doesn't pack it tightly in the turkey either. We don't like gloppy, pasty stuffing.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
We make a stuffing in my family very much like yours but we don't use cubes. We tear up whatever bread or rolls that are around, cook onion, celery, sausage meat & drain them of fat. Chop an apple or two, and some roast chestnut meats or mushrooms and it all add to the torn up bread plus salt, pepper & a lot of bells seasoning and gently fold all the stuff into the bread.

We don't use egg, we don't mush it up, just moisten it with a little chicken or turkey broth while foldiing it together. Tastes great, looks like stuffing.

If you cook your stuffing in the bird it will turn out more mushed up but the extra cooked in the pan will show the bread pieces like the photos of the golden cubes of stuffing only maybe a little bit darker in color due to the extra ingredients.
'
The stuffing photos you see where the cubes really stand out don't usually have the sausage & stuff. They usually just have the packaged cubes, onion, celery and seasonings.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:30 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I always use Pepperidge Farm stuffing. Not the cubes, but the regular. I don’t precook the celery and onion and I don’t make the stuffing too wet that goes into the turkey. It gets a lot of moisture from the turkey. All I know is it’s what everyone wants so i don’t deviate.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:49 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I do make a good sausage based stuffing, I just do what I watched my Grandmother do for many years.

Thing is, it pretty much has no real eye appeal. It looks like slop in a bowl. I always make extra so there is a Pyrex bowl of "dressing" and then the stuffing in the bird.

I buy Pepperidge Farm seasoned cubes, a sage based sausage tube, onions and celery and poultry seasoning. I also add 2 eggs, like Grandma did.. Salt& pepper of course..

Sautee the onion and celery, transfer to a big bowl. Add the bread cubes and raw sausage, veggie or chicken stock and pretty much mash the heck out of it with gloved hands.. Am I just over mixing?

I see these awesome photo's of stuffing online, the bread cubes look like, well.. Cubes of bread.
Not this mash stuff I make.

People like my stuffing, in fact they say it's some of the best they have had..
I'm not sure I'd change on Holidays but I'd like to experiment on my Mother (Poor Mom, but hey I was forced to drink milk out of her boobs) a picture perfect stuffing when I roast a chicken and have her over for dinner..
Good discussion in this thread, esp the difference between stuffing and dressing. I have never ate stuffing, but I love dressing with giblet gravy.

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...oes-yours.html

Old 11-25-2017, 05:55 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
LOL at "pretty much mash the heck out of it with gloved hands". This, my friend, is definitely why it is ending up like slop. Mashing is a big no-no when making dressing. You should basically just lightly fold everything together so each ingredient is still all in one piece, and identifiable. Easiest way is to just use a very large bowl, like twice the size of all of the ingredients, and once you have all or your ingredients added to the bowl, then pour over just enough stock to lightly cover/coat everything but not swimming in it. (always best to add a little stock first and then add more if needed) Then just fold all ingredients together until everything is lightly moistened with the stock. Do not mush, mash, blend, beat, puree nor stomp any of it LOL. Then put it in a casserole dish and bake.

Oh, I would also highly recommend adding the sausage in with the onions and celery when you saute them to make sure the sausage is actually cooked prior to adding it to the dressing. If it is added raw inside the dressing it is unlikely that it will cook through properly by the time the rest of the dressing is browned. And you surely don't want people eating raw sausage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes