Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:28 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I LOVE head cheese, and the brand I buy is made from parts of the pig's head suspended in gelatin. It's great sprayed with a mist of vinegar.
I suspect I would like the taste of head cheese--rich pork, what's not to love? But the name has always repulsed me.

I thought of another favorite childhood meal; chuck roast coated in dry onion soup mix. So tender and flavorful!

OP, you have to try lamb. Chops and leg of lamb are my faves. Tender, delicate, rich. yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I'm really obsessed with that time period and I love watching recipe vids on youtube where they show you how women shopped and cooked in the 1950s. Stuff like casseroles, meatloafs, and desserts. Some of the recipes have weird ingredients or others are very simple. I also like watching those videos because a lot of times they include some history in there as well or talk about how much things cost back then, which is nuts because everything was so cheap compared to now!

Anyone here have any 50's recipes they could share? I'm making a list that I could try eventually.
I was born in the late 1950s and my first food memories began in the early 60s.
There is always decade hangover - which seems to last through the first five or so years of the next decade.

Here are some foods that I remember -

Tuna Noodle Casserole with crumbled potato chips on top.

Salisbury Steak

Shrimp Newberg

Green Bean Casserole with French Fried onion rings on top.

Lime cream cheese jello mold with mini-marhmellows and fruit.

Impossible Coconut Cream Pie made with Bisquick.

Pineapple upside down cake.

All of these recipes are online.

Enjoy!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Anyone here have any 50's recipes they could share? I'm making a list that I could try eventually.
I have an old tattered copy of the 1953 edition of the Joy of Cooking. I found it in a junk store several years ago. Most of the recipes from that editon do not appear in the current edition of Joy. Food has changed too much over the past 60 years.

Ironically, I was thumbing through this cookbook a few days ago. It even has a very graphic series of drawing that show you how to skin a squirrel and turn it in to "fricassee of squirrel."

Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Me and my siblings find it disgusting but both our parents love it.

HEAD CHEESE....... Yuk. It's neither cheese nor made with any part of a head, maybe it used to be. They probably smoked the head of a pig and took all the bits and pieces of meat and made this with it... Nothing wasted on the farm.

My cousin makes and a gifts a bunch of it to my parents every so often. Oscar Meyer used to make it and sell it in packages like bologna. I haven't seen it in decades.

It's made with plain gelatin and vinegar with bits of ham suspended in the gelatinous mix.

https://goo.gl/images/niuTHi
Head cheese is most definitely made from a pig's head. My favorite Junior League Cookbook, Charleston Receipts has a distant relative's recipe. My grandmother made it and it would stink up the entire house.

https://www.jlcharleston.org/products-2/

These Weight Watchers recipe cards from the 1970s are absolutely hysterical. The diet recipes are distgusting but funny.

Weight Watchers recipe cards, circa 1974

Old 12-12-2017, 08:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My mom used to make this for dad who was in the Marines and they served it often there. Creamed chipped beef on toast.... Don't know how to make it..

One thing that kind of reminds me of that, mom used to "make". Cream of mushroom (Campbell's) soup spooned of white bread thats been well toasted. Still eat on occasion, kind of a comfort food thing.

Creamed corn, don't see that much anymore.

Anything home canned/pickled, except store bought.
Izzie - it's about as simple as it gets (creamed chipped beef). Let me know if you want a ",recipe"

Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Like Nita said, there were a lot of Jello salads, which I personally could not stand...hate the texture. Jello poured into molds to make a fancy shape were very popular. Just about everything was put into jello...walnuts, canned fruit, mini-marshmallows, shredded coconut. For awhile I remember that there was jello in vegetable flavors!

I remember a lot of “comfort food” like meatloaf, salmon loaf (made with canned salmon), tuna noodle casserole, chicken a la King. Most vegetables were in a can, due to “convenience” (still have nightmares about canned spinach).

There were also comfort food desserts like rice pudding, bread pudding, tapioca pudding.

I remember some strange salads like Waldorf Salad...chopped-up red delicious apples with chopped celery & mayo...it was supposed to have been created at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC...but, why? I also remember a salad made with grated raw carrots, raisins & mayo. It seemed like iceberg was the only lettuce available.

Fried bologna & fried Spam were popular as the meat course for dinner. Instant mashed potatoes were very popular...to me, they tasted like glue, & I never understood what was so hard about peeling, boiling & mashing real potatoes. When my daughter was growing up, she asked for instant potatoes. I had always made mashed potatoes fresh & from scratch, even though I was a working mother, so I asked her why...she said they had them at her friend’s house, so she wanted to try them “for the experience”

I’m sure I can think of more, but I’m remembering why I was such a skinny kid.
hahaha, that's just how it was. The food wasn't very good but the desserts were great.

The big molded jello salad on Thanksgiving and Christmas, lol. It had canned pears and walnuts as well as those bright red maraschino cherries. Our food was mainly meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and two vegetables, or mac and cheese made with orange Kraft cheese or shepherd's pie with two vegetables, a plain hamburg with home made French fries and two vegetables, or beef stew or pot roast that had cooked for hours. Rinse, repeat. (Sundays there would be roast beef or roast chicken and the leftovers would be beef hash or chicken a la king over rice.)

Desserts were wonderful though. Tapioca pudding with milk. Sometimes you got a dollop of strawberry jam on the top. Custard was made on the stove but it took a lot of stirring. Sometimes there was baked custard. Custard was creamy and good and it was given to you when you were sick too, made being sick not so bad at all. We had rice pudding a lot, warm from the oven, loaded with raisins and sprinkled with nutmeg.

Now that I think of it, food was more about the desserts than the meal. If you could gag the meal down, you got dessert. And besides the above, we had homemade apple pie or blueberry pie--pies were made with nourishing fruit and pie did not include ice cream like today. Or we'd get apple crisp hot from the oven. We'd have this delicious heavy chocolate cake with heavy chocolate frosting--I never did get her recipe but that cake was a sheet cake and it was always on hand at family gatherings. There was something called fudge batter pudding--wow--dollops of chocolate batter dumped into a fudge sauce and baked, then served hot with real whipped cream. Rice pudding was served with milk and so was tapioca pudding. We had raspberry tarts made from the leftover pie crust folded over with jam inside.

That was in winter and with the oven going most of the time, it helped to warm the house too. What did we eat in summer? Did we eat in summer? I guess it was vegetables from the garden--corn on the cob, fresh peas, fresh beans, fresh carrots, everything. We didn't have salads. It was always a hot meal even on a hot day. I guess summer desserts were sliced cantaloupe, popsicles--maybe we didn't have dessert in summer...it was more like, "Go outside and play!"

Old 12-12-2017, 09:09 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Like Nita said, there were a lot of Jello salads, which I personally could not stand...hate the texture. Jello poured into molds to make a fancy shape were very popular. Just about everything was put into jello...walnuts, canned fruit, mini-marshmallows, shredded coconut. For awhile I remember that there was jello in vegetable flavors!

I remember a lot of “comfort food” like meatloaf, salmon loaf (made with canned salmon), tuna noodle casserole, chicken a la King. Most vegetables were in a can, due to “convenience” (still have nightmares about canned spinach).

There were also comfort food desserts like rice pudding, bread pudding, tapioca pudding.

I remember some strange salads like Waldorf Salad...chopped-up red delicious apples with chopped celery & mayo...it was supposed to have been created at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC...but, why? I also remember a salad made with grated raw carrots, raisins & mayo. It seemed like iceberg was the only lettuce available.

Fried bologna & fried Spam were popular as the meat course for dinner. Instant mashed potatoes were very popular...to me, they tasted like glue, & I never understood what was so hard about peeling, boiling & mashing real potatoes. When my daughter was growing up, she asked for instant potatoes. I had always made mashed potatoes fresh & from scratch, even though I was a working mother, so I asked her why...she said they had them at her friend’s house, so she wanted to try them “for the experience”

I’m sure I can think of more, but I’m remembering why I was such a skinny kid.
They still serve Waldorf Salad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_salad
Never considered it weird.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Shrimp Cocktail and a whisky sour?

Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM

I didn't each much American food as a kid, but I do remember lots of ketchup, butterscotch pudding (MyTFine), and pot cheese.

Also diners would serve their signature "diet dish," hamburger topped with cottage cheese.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:24 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Ambrosia! The best kid-centric salad ever, filled with mini marshmallows and pineapple and coconut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes