Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,379,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My grandparents came from Yorkshire and I married a man who went to school there. I couldn't make perfect YKS pudding when I met him, but he taught me. I wrote it down...let's see if I can still find it.

Okay. Many people will tell you that there are "secrets" to making a perfect Yorkshire pudding. I tried to compile these secrets over time and then I watched dh make it. These are my carefully complied notes on this most important recipe:

Liquid can be milk, water, rice milk, etc.--but after you mix it with the flour, beat the H*** out of it.
It will be bubbly and thin.

Beat the eggs but make sure you beat the H*** out of them. They will be bubbly.

Combine everything (salt, sugar, whatever) and beat the H*** out of it. (Gradually beat the egg mixture into the flour.) Big bubbles and soupy thin. Beat hard for one minute.

Refrigerate 3/4 hour. (They say "let rest" but in warm, modern kitchens, we refrigerate.)

Beat again and beat the H*** out of it.

Put meat drippings (or butter or other oil?) into the pan and get it "smoking hot."

Quickly pour the batter into the pan.

Batter should be 1/2" deep in the pan.

It gets varied now but many say to set the oven at 400 for 3-4 minutes, then turn it down to 350. 25-30 minutes. In an electric oven, turn it down to 350 right away.

Other notes I have taken say to put it into a 450 degree oven in an 8" x 8" pan. Oven must be "smoking" hot.

The much touted "secrets" seem to involve a "smoking" hot oven, letting it "rest", and beating the H*** out of it so it will rise. You do not want a fallen pud.

That's the best I can do right now--and I LOVE Yorkshire pudding so any other comments and suggestions are more than welcome. It's the ultimate comfort food.
Great post. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 06:06 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
Like a popover. Eggy and hollow inside. Tastey thin crust, and nothing like bread.
I have never had a popover . I guess I am missing out.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:28 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
I haven't read thru the whole thread so maybe somebody has already suggested this.

I'm half British, so Yorkshire pudding is a nearly holy thing to me. When they are bad, they suck. After countless recipes, this is the best ive found - with two tweaks. I only rest the batter for 4-8 hours, not overnight, and I use a bit more salt. COLD Bottled water, not tap (seriously - it makes a difference) I use a regular muffin tin for large muffins but medium muffin will work. And ONLY WHOLE MILK. It's pretty much the only time I buy that stuff.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...er-recipe.html

Old 12-24-2017, 11:35 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Does anyone make the Toad In The Whole, pouring the batter over cooked sausages and then baking them? I have recipes but my DH is vegetarian so I don't make them for myself only.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Does anyone make the Toad In The Whole, pouring the batter over cooked sausages and then baking them? I have recipes but my DH is vegetarian so I don't make them for myself only.
I have, but not in some time. The calorie count is frightening. My Polish husband gets confused and calls it "bubble and squeak." I've given up correcting him.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:57 PM

My Polish Grandma never counted calories when she made her pierogies, so I don't either...and it shows. Cook's Country did a segment on pierogies but it sure wasn't the way she did them. Getting back on topic, my DH doesn't eat eggs or meat and I don't like to cook for just me so I can only imagine what they taste like.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Toad in the Hole (made by hubby as I am clueless.) Looks like he may have used hotdogs, lol. It's Yorkshire pudding with sausauges.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the photo. I'm sure they are wonderful.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Toad in the Hole (made by hubby as I am clueless.) Looks like he may have used hotdogs, lol. It's Yorkshire pudding with sausauges.
I cut my sausages into pieces about 2 inches or lumps of ground, uncased sausage (the latter is my preference). That way, you get sausage in nearly every bite. And the pudding tends to cover a lot of pieces of sausage as it cooks. Ask you husband to try it - it's the way my english grandmother used to make it. (PS I dislike English sausage, so I use pork breakfast sausage or occasionally italian sausage.)

Old 12-26-2017, 01:16 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I cut my sausages into pieces about 2 inches or lumps of ground, uncased sausage (the latter is my preference). That way, you get sausage in nearly every bite. And the pudding tends to cover a lot of pieces of sausage as it cooks. Ask you husband to try it - it's the way my english grandmother used to make it. (PS I dislike English sausage, so I use pork breakfast sausage or occasionally italian sausage.)
You prefer Italian sausage to English sausage! What!! Ya gotta be kidding.

Its well known in scientific journals and in ancient texts that Italian-American sausage is way down the list of good sausage. When I first tasted Italian American sausage I thought what the hell is this. I've grown accustomed to it with sautéed peppers on a roll or perhaps in certain pasta dishes - but that's it.
The scientifically proven order of best sausages is German>Polish>British & Irish>Any merguez>Italian American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes