Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:41 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times

Advertisements

Whiting is a salt water species. Chubs and whitefish are fresh water and quite different from whiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Thanks everyone! I'm having a hard time finding the kind of smoked fish I'm referring to here in the South. I'd be happy to find some smoked trout; I know it wouldn't be the same, but I think it would work. I'm going to do more, well, hunting today. I may end up having to improvise something with snapper.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm having a hard time finding the kind of smoked fish I'm referring to here in the South. I'd be happy to find some smoked trout; I know it wouldn't be the same, but I think it would work. I'm going to do more, well, hunting today. I may end up having to improvise something with snapper.
I know we sold salmon spread also so I would think any of the stronger tasting fish that are smoked would make a great spread. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I know we sold salmon spread also so I would think any of the stronger tasting fish that are smoked would make a great spread. Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Thanks and you too! I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow in a metro with a Whole Foods, and they have smoked trout. They're holding one package back for me, so, although it's not smoked whiting, the smoked trout should work. I'm looking forward to making what I remember from NJ.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
This looks like a decent recipe. You will need smoked whitefish, however, nothing else. Trout is completely different and won't work. You live where food is a religion. Someone carries smoked whitefish and probably spread. Call some Jewish delis.

March Recipe...Smoked Whitefish Spread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:52 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
My people (da Jews ) love this stuff. If BoSox is talking about South Florida (specifically Boca Raton), it's the same stuff.
Yes, South Florida. So I'm assuming that this is more of a NY/SoFl (Jewish?) thing. I don't live there any longer but I seem to recall it was on just about every menu as an appetizer, and of course at every Jewish deli.

It was new to me when I moved there but I do love how simple yet delicious it was!

Old 12-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
My people (da Jews ) love this stuff. If BoSox is talking about South Florida (specifically Boca Raton), it's the same stuff.

A company called Adar makes a really good one and it's pretty much like BoSox said -- smoked whitefish and mayo.

You're not going to find the Adar stuff, in all likelihood, and you want to make your own anyway. I've never made it myself but if I'd trust anyone's recipe, it's Deb's (she's one of my people ):

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/s...h-horseradish/

I think I'd leave out the horseradish, though. But that's just me...

ETA: NEVER MIND!! I just saw that AnnaGWS posted Ina Garten's recipe and THAT sounds much more authentic. I'd go with Bagels with Smoked Salmon and Whitefish Salad Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network for sure! (Ina is also one of my people. Ha!)
I'm doing the Ina Garten recipe, and, I know it won't be exactly the same, but that's OK. When in Rome . . .

Old 12-21-2017, 07:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yes, South Florida. So I'm assuming that this is more of a NY/SoFl (Jewish?) thing. I don't live there any longer but I seem to recall it was on just about every menu as an appetizer, and of course at every Jewish deli.

It was new to me when I moved there but I do love how simple yet delicious it was!
I don't know if it's so much of a NY/SoFl thing as it is a Jewish thing... and there are lots of us Jews in both of those places. So 2 + 2 = 4.

Yup, you can't go into a Jewish deli and NOT find whitefish. If you can't find it there, it's because Mr. Cohen and Mr. Schwartz got there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I'm doing the Ina Garten recipe, and, I know it won't be exactly the same, but that's OK. When in Rome . . .
I think that you chose the right recipe. (Points for AnnaGWS on that find!) Ina would DEFINITELY know how to do this right. Please come back to report how it turned out. Fingers crossed for you! ENJOY!!!

Old 12-22-2017, 05:35 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Sounds like what you would find in a Jewish/Kosher appetizing store or appetizing section of a store. I used to know the guy who made it for the appetizing department at Waldbaum's (defunct NY supermarket chain) and it was delicious. I watched him make it and debone the fish, but I never wrote the recipe down, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes