Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 05:36 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,655,108 times

Advertisements

On Christmas Eve, mrdiva and I typically have appetizers like cheeses and some antipasto vegetables, cured salmon, and oyster stew. This year I'm thinking of making East Coast-style whitefish spread instead of oyster stew for a change. I've looked at some recipes online which look good, but was wondering if anyone has any experience making this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 05:44 PM

68,287 posts, read 54,108,627 times
I don't know about whitefish spread but you might like Brandade, a French spread based on salt cod and potatoes.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:04 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,152,026 times
Not trying to be funny but what is "east coast style whitefish spread"?

I've lived on the east coast all my life and never had that. Had something similar in Florida (and that may be what you're referencing), it was like a smoked whitefish and mayo (very simple). Served with jalapeno slices and saltines. Good stuff!

I've never made it so I can't offer help there, but I did look up recipes and they seem to be all gunked up with vegetables and I'm not sure if that would be overkill or not.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:08 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,383,582 times
Smoked whitefish is a Great Lakes product not East Coast. I suppose it ends up as dip often.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:30 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,111,109 times
Smoked whitefish salad is an East Coast thing.

Smoked whitefish salad with finely sliced onion on a bagel is one of my favorite brunches.

Here's a recipe:

Bagels with Smoked Salmon and Whitefish Salad Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network

Acme of Brooklyn makes a great smoked whitefish salad. You may be able to order some online.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,910,356 times
My people (da Jews ) love this stuff. If BoSox is talking about South Florida (specifically Boca Raton), it's the same stuff.

A company called Adar makes a really good one and it's pretty much like BoSox said -- smoked whitefish and mayo.

You're not going to find the Adar stuff, in all likelihood, and you want to make your own anyway. I've never made it myself but if I'd trust anyone's recipe, it's Deb's (she's one of my people ):

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/s...h-horseradish/

I think I'd leave out the horseradish, though. But that's just me...

ETA: NEVER MIND!! I just saw that AnnaGWS posted Ina Garten's recipe and THAT sounds much more authentic. I'd go with http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...recipe-1946475 for sure! (Ina is also one of my people. Ha!)

Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,033,492 times
It's a Kosher deli thing. I used to work in a Shop-Rite deli in a Jewish neighborhood and we sold the Acme brand and it was very popular. As far as I know it's similar to a smooth tuna salad recipe but with smoked whitefish. It is delicious but I'll take the whole fish all day long and twice on Saturday night!

Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM

68,287 posts, read 54,108,627 times
When people refer to 'smoked whitefish' is that a generic term for any white fleshed flaky fish or a specific species?

I used to love catching a good amount of whiting in NJ, there were smokehouses on the way home that would give you a smoked one for every two or three fresh ones you turned in. Delicious with a cold beer.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:55 PM

6,058 posts, read 4,414,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
It's a Kosher deli thing. I used to work in a Shop-Rite deli in a Jewish neighborhood and we sold the Acme brand and it was very popular. As far as I know it's similar to a smooth tuna salad recipe but with smoked whitefish. It is delicious but I'll take the whole fish all day long and twice on Saturday night!
Amen, brother! I love those things and wouldn't adulterate the flavor with anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When people refer to 'smoked whitefish' is that a generic term for any white fleshed flaky fish or a specific species?

I used to love catching a good amount of whiting in NJ, there were smokehouses on the way home that would give you a smoked one for every two or three fresh ones you turned in. Delicious with a cold beer.
There are two kinds of fish (whitefish and chubs) that both come from the Great Lakes that are used. Anything else is usually called by its own name, so far as I know. So if you smoked some whiting, you'd have smoked whiting. I think the others are fattier.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,383,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

the fishermen can't even tell them apart. You'd need dna to species them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes