Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
And I mean old recipes - a hundred years old or more.

Yes. Do you want some really old recipes? Mrs. Beeton's book was published in the 1800's and many of the Victorian Age recipes from her book have now been published online on this website.

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management: www.mrsbeeton.com – Cookery, Recipies & Household Management

The book itself has much more information plus illustrations in it but the website has a good selection of recipes to choose from. Keep in mind that a lot of the medical care information and some of the safe food handling instructions are out of date by today's advanced standards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I make my Grandmothers stuffing/dressing recipe, she was born back in the 1880s. It tastes good but stovetop is easier.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Quote:
well we loved the series Rome and I remember a favorite snack being honey roasted newborn mice (eyes closed) but yeah
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I've made some of the recipes from The Little House Cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-House-.../dp/0064460908

I liked the Apples 'n Onions fried together with bacon (or salt pork).

Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I had a thread where I posted my grandmother’s handwritten recipe book. For the most part, the recipes used very simple ingredients, and the quantities were small....a cake was 8x8, a cookie batch was about a dozen.
I have tons of old cookbooks, although not 100 years old. I have them from the 1960s. I love them because they were written before convenience foods, so they are all solid scratch standbys that are always good.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Sure. With varying success. Things like 'corn cakes' or chicken stewed in cream and vegetables, and meat croquettes. But it's always fun and interesting, and I collect old cookbooks (a lot of these are now available as free ebooks).

Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
The closest I can come to a vintage recipe is my gingerbread. I got it from an old cookbook published in the 1960s. But the author says she has had it so long she could not remember where she got it. It is a family favorite.

The only other recipe that I have that has to be old is Wilted Lettuce Salad, which I have eaten as a child and have made for my family many times. It is a country recipe that is probably at least 100 years old. Spring green onions and fresh new radishes make it great. I’ve never written the recipe down

Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I collect vintage and antique cook books so yes, I've made some really old recipes. I would bet that some of the recipes in my 1920s books are 100 years old or older.

One of the funniest ones I ever made is called "eggs in prison." That's right - so you see of course that I HAD to try that out. Actually it's pretty good. All it is is something similar to shirred eggs. The funny thing is that in these oldest cookbooks of mine, they often just say "meat" instead of a particular kind of meat (chicken, pork, beef, etc). So the recipe, from what I can recall, is something like this:

Meat
Lard
Eggs
Bread crumbs or bread cut in circles
Salt and pepper to taste

Grease muffin tins with lard. Line with meat, leaving an indention in the middle. Break egg into indention. Cover with either bread crumbs or piece of bread cut in a circle. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake in oven (no temperature given) till eggs are set, about 20 minutes.

This was actually pretty darn good. I used sausage as the meat.
The comment “no temperature given” made me smile. My grandma had an old Majestic wood range, everything had to be turned 1/4 turn about every 10-15 minutes. She burned lots of ple, biscuits, cookies.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I find really old recipes hard to fix because they assume you know what they mean by a statement like "make one recipe finest paste" or mystery amounts like "1 measure of salt." Even MFK Fisher messes with you sometimes, saying "put it in a slow oven." If the amounts are understandable and the directions aren't written in riddles, hey, some of the recipes are great.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I make a really tasty loaf cake from an old recipe. I do not know where I first came upon this recipe, years ago, but my recollection from the source is that it is "President William Henry Harrison's favorite cake." He was president in 1841, died after a month in office, so it is plenty old enough. ;-)

President Harrison's Molasses Cake

1/4 t salt
1/2 t ground cloves
1 t baking soda
1/2 C butter
1/2 C sugar
1 C molasses
2 eggs
2 and 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 C sour cream

Blend first 4 ingredients until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, mixing well. Mix in molasses and 1/2 C flour. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add remaining flour and sour cream alternately, beating well after each addition. Finally, beat entire mixture well for about 1 more minute.

Bake at 325 (slow oven) for 60-75 minutes in a well greased 9x5x3 loaf pan. Cool in pan 20 minutes.

The "improvements" that I make are- In addition to cloves, I add 2 t ground ginger. (and 1/2 t allspice and 1 t cinnamon, if I'm feeling very spicy) Instead of 1/2 C butter, I use 1/4 C butter and 1/4 C neutral oil. Instead of 1/2 C sugar, I use a scant 1/4 C brown sugar. (the molasses makes it pretty sweet enough) Instead of 2 1/2 C all purpose flour, I use 2 C whole wheat flour and a scant 1/2 C of either wheat germ, ground flax seed, ground oatmeal or a combination of these three. Instead of sour cream I use plain fat free Greek yogurt. But with these changes, then I guess it is no longer a very old recipe. ;-)
I will be trying this one soon. I have Amish market molasses just begging to be used!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes