Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,911,869 times

Advertisements

Ah, thanks for the clarifications about the Thai basil! The recipe didn't specific "fresh" but clearly that's what it meant. Most of the recipes I use specify "fresh" and then give the equivalent in dried in case you don't have fresh -- and of course they are NEVER the same amount since dried is much more concentrated. Alas, I typically use dried spices since they last longer than fresh (and are cheaper). Two cups of dried basil would be WAY overpowering, I think!

And DG, Sayulita, Dawn, and Sea of Grass, I am going to try that recipe (will have to buy a few ingredients first)! Will have to report back!

Incidentally, OP, I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs today for my very early dinner -- just cut off as much fat as I could, then basted them with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and baked them for 30 minutes, turning once and basting again. Had them with stir-fried onions and corn. Everything was delicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:13 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,327,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ah, thanks for the clarifications about the Thai basil! The recipe didn't specific "fresh" but clearly that's what it meant. Most of the recipes I use specify "fresh" and then give the equivalent in dried in case you don't have fresh -- and of course they are NEVER the same amount since dried is much more concentrated. Alas, I typically use dried spices since they last longer than fresh (and are cheaper). Two cups of dried basil would be WAY overpowering, I think!

And DG, Sayulita, Dawn, and Sea of Grass, I am going to try that recipe (will have to buy a few ingredients first)! Will have to report back!

Incidentally, OP, I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs today for my very early dinner -- just cut off as much fat as I could, then basted them with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and baked them for 30 minutes, turning once and basting again. Had them with stir-fried onions and corn. Everything was delicious!
Go for it! Also wanted to mention that if you can't find Thai basil (sometimes it's hard to), don't panic. Just get regular fresh basil. Both are delicious and it won't significantly change the flavor of the dish.

Please do report back! I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,908,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I actually make a 40 Clove Chicken. I got the recipe from a Gilroy Garlic Festival cookbook, so that sorta explains it.
That’s a classic recipe! I’ve made it for at least 25 years!

I just now put 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs in the Instant Pot. I first sautéed a package of pepper/onion blend & 1 lb fresh mushrooms in ghee. Then I threw in a bunch of garlic and a block of cream cheese, and about a cup of grated cotija (my super cheap sub for Parm). Added the chicken, and manually set IP for 10 minutes, NPR. When it’s done, I’ll toss in some fresh Swiss chard, then stir it around until that’s done.

Very easy, and only one pot to clean!

We rarely, maybe once or twice a year, use chicken breasts. We love chicken thighs, boneless or bone-in.

The boneless thighs are a great time saver when making Asian dishes. Authentic Chinese dishes rarely use white meat chicken, and it’s so much more convenient having boneless thighs readily available now.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,676,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I make boneless chicken thighs by using these ingredient.

1 tin drained crushed pineapple
1 tin drained crushed apricot
1 Russian Kraft dressing
1 Knorr or Lipton dry onion soup mix
Mix above 4 ingredients together

12 to 16 chicken thighs washed,dried and put in a casserole dish.Add all 4 mixed ingredients over the chicken and marinate overnight covered in fridge.Next day bake in oven at 350 F uncovered for about 1 hour til tender.Serve with rice.

Delicious!

Wait, one WHAT Russian Kraft dressing? One bottle? One ounce? One cup?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM

126,105 posts, read 18,854,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wait, one WHAT Russian Kraft dressing? One bottle? One ounce? One cup?
The whole bottle.

Sorry I forgot to mention it .

Old 02-14-2018, 03:13 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,356,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Sure!
chop an onion, put in crockpot. Dump in either one can of diced tomatoes with chilis and one can of plain diced tomatoes or 2 cans with chilis, depending on how hot you like it. Don't drain them. (I'm a wimp and use one of each.)
One can of beans with chili sauce, again, mild or hot. Undrained.
One can of black beans, drained and rinsed.
One can of mexi-corn.
One 8 oz can of tomato sauce. This week when I made it, I only had the big cans of tomato sauce, but I did have some leftover enchilada sauce, so I used approximately 8 oz of that.
Stir this up, then lay a large chicken breast, or 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs on the top of the mix. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Take out the chicken, shred it and put it into the stew and stir it back up. You can do this right at the end, or earlier.
I serve this with shredded cheddar, crushed tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream on top.
As a lot of crock pot recipes are, this one is very forgiving. If you drained the tomatoes, it could be a filler for burritos, it's pretty thick already. You could also add some more spices if you like it hot.
I make something VERY similar -- got it from a California neighbor. Her recipe used 1 jar of SALSA (any type you like) in place of the tomatoes, 1 can of drained black beans, 1 can of drained mexi-corn, layer the chicken THIGHS on top and sprinkle one entire package of TACO seasoning on it. cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours. Shred and serve any way you like but it is surprisingly delicious. We just put it inside soft corn tortillas with chopped lettuce and sour cream. YUMMY.

Warning -- the taco seasoning from Trader Joe's is VERY spicy and made it too hot. I would use one labeled MILD.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:44 PM

49,965 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Quote:

1 Russian Kraft dressing

12 to 16 chicken thighs washed,dried and put in a casserole dish.Add all 4 mixed ingredients over the chicken and marinate overnight covered in fridge.Next day bake in oven at 350 F uncovered for about 1 hour til tender.Serve with rice.

Delicious!
I am slow to catch this, Alm, but I’ve never heard of crushed apricots. I suppose I can put canned apricots in a mini chopper instead?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 PM

126,105 posts, read 18,854,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am slow to catch this, Alm, but I’ve never heard of crushed apricots. I suppose I can put canned apricots in a mini chopper instead?
The apricots are in halves and I crush them.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:05 PM

49,965 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Quote:
The apricots are in halves and I crush them.
Ok, I get it. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:39 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,327,686 times
Quote:

1 Russian Kraft dressing

Delicious!
If I made this, it would be using only 4-6 thighs. So a little clarification please. For your recipe for 12-16 thighs, are you using the 6-7 oz. tins of pineapple and apricots, or a bigger can? I'd like to try it but want to use the right proportions.

Could you please "translate" the recipe for 4-6 thighs using standard cup sizes? Should I go with half a bottle of the Russian dressing and a half package of onion soup mix?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes