Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Once in awhile I get a craving for one of "Mom's" 1950s casseroles. But they all rely on the ubiquitous canned cream-of-mushroom soup, or similar.

We don't live in a major city, so some of these Americana convenience foods don't make it down here.

Any ideas for substitutes in a recipe? Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Google is your friend :

https://www.thekitchn.com/good-questions-16-100356

Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Easy. Homemade mushroom soup can be used. That particular mushroom flavor in cream of mushroom soup comes from using dried mushrooms instead of fresh ones.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Easy. Homemade mushroom soup can be used. That particular mushroom flavor in cream of mushroom soup comes from using dried mushrooms instead of fresh ones.
Homemade cream of mushroom soup is one of the easiest soups to make, and you can really give it an umami punch by adding some dried porcini mushrooms.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
I hardly ever use those canned soups to thicken my casseroles, make gravy, or whatever. I make a roux much like the second poster said:

How to Make a Roux for Creamy, Delicious Sauces | Allrecipes

and you can flavor it any way you want, add milk or water instead, use beef cubes if you're using with something beefy, chicken cubes if it's a chickeny thing, or plain milk or water if it's a tuna casserole or something you don't want to have that flavor. It's easy, and you always have butter, flour, and water on hand (sometimes I don't use butter even, I use oil). Very forgiving recipe.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Here's a basic recipe for Cream of (any) Vegetable soup. Not exactly the same as Campbell's but quick and easy. Would also work if you wanted something like Cream of Shrimp.

CREAM of (Any) Vegetable SOUP

1 T. Butter
2 T. Flour
3 T chopped onion
2/1/2 c. milk
2 small (14-16 oz.) or 1 large (about 30 oz. give or take) can tomatoes, asparagus, peas, mushrooms (fresh or dried as suggested above) or spinach, drained.

Melt butter. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add flour and cook over medium heat until flour is incorporated. Add milk a half cup at a time and cook until soup is slightly thickened. Add vegetables of choice and cook until heated through. Blend with immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Careful! The hot soup will tend to spray up in the blender. Do it in batches and keep the lid on.

Jazz it up any number of ways with curry or herbs you like. Make it with buttermilk or ½ and ½ instead of milk. You can also use fresh veggies. They will just need to be precooked or cooked longer in the milk mixture. But be careful with that as the milk may burn or cook down too much.

For richer soup, add more butter.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I hardly ever use those canned soups to thicken my casseroles, make gravy, or whatever. I make a roux much like the second poster said:...
You just can't beat roux as a flavorful thickener. I use equal parts fat and flour, and for gumbo, I cook my roux to a chocolate brown. A chocolate brown roux has very little thickening ability, so I make sure to add a decent amount of okra. Some cooks will thicken their gumbo with filé powder.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Just make homemade white sauce and add mushrooms.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I never did see the point of adding a can of souo to a meal, they cost a dollar, so that is a budget breaker, I normally use a simple, home made, white sauce.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You just can't beat roux as a flavorful thickener. I use equal parts fat and flour, and for gumbo, I cook my roux to a chocolate brown. A chocolate brown roux has very little thickening ability, so I make sure to add a decent amount of okra. Some cooks will thicken their gumbo with filé powder.
You are definitely a person after my own heart! I always prefer a dark brown roux for my gumbo and it must have okra or it "ain't" real gumbo! I usually have bacon grease on hand for the fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes