Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 04:45 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Potatoes, celery, onion, parsley, tarragon, dressed with olive oil and white wine vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I add a cap full of rice wine vinegar to give it some zing. The same goes for macaroni salad.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:58 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I use a splash of rice vinegar with Kraft mayonnaise. For some reason, this combo is very good. You can add your own touches of Dijon, Beau Monde, Lawries, dill or whatever floats your boat, but the basic rice vinegar/Kraft mayo is what potato salad should taste like, for us.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
My mother never put eggs in her potato salad. It was potatoes boiled with the skins on, skinned after boiling, finely chopped celery, mayo, salt and pepper.

She also sometimes made what she called "German Potato Salad" which was boiled potatoes (again boiled with the skins on, skinned after), a bit of oil I think, and vinegar, salt and pepper.

Both were the best ever, in my memory. Since I moved south, I now add boiled eggs and mash them with the boiled potatoes and mayo/yellow mustard.

It's all good.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Red potato salad is killer. I really like the waxy potatoes juxtaposition with the dressing what ever it might be cold or hot.

Cajun or Creole red potato salads are FANTASTIC!

Lots of good recipes out there. Get busy making potato salad or get busy dying the choice is yours.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0202 View Post
I use the small b size potatoes and usually just do the basic, potatoes, eggs, onion, celery, mayo, salt and pepper.
Why mess with a good thing? You're already doing it right.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
What?...Nobody mentioned paprika???

That is always good to add to it too. Or, how about some diced red onions?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I've always made the potato salad recipe my husband preferred, which is potatoes, mustard, mayo and bacon, but it's not my favorite.

One of the best potato salads I ever had was made by cooking the potatoes in their skins, peeling them when cooked and "flaking" them with a fork. Pour French dressing over the hot cooked potatoes and let the hot potatoes absorb the dressing, then add mayo, chopped eggs and onion. No other seasoning needed. Really delicious!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I live in a town that has some German restaurants but the best German potato salad I've ever tasted is a Betty Crocker recipe.

My mom always made hers with onion, egg, paprika, celery and a little mustard and sugar in the dressing and it was good. I've noticed that slicing the potatoes rather small allows them to absorb the flavor of the dressing better.

The local grocery sells a mean country-style potato salad that I can duplicate.

Peel your red potatoes while they are still very warm and add sweet, diced onion then pickle relish to your taste. You can use sweet or dill. Salt and pepper. Potatoes can take a lot of both seasonings.

Then stir in your mayonnaise or salad dressing stirred with a generous squirt of honey mustard. For company garnish the top with paprika and parsley.

Sometimes I substitute sliced pimiento olives for the relish.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
I grilled 5lbs marinated red potatoes last night to go with some Salmon steaks and scallops.

The remaining 4lbs are getting tossed into a salad for dinner tonight.

What we did:
Quarter standard red potatoes, marinate for several hours in Costco organic EVOO, pressed garlic whole head, thyme, basil, fresh ground pepper and fresh rosemary. Left at room temp for 5 hours.

Got grill blazing hot, oiled grates, turn to low and tossed potatos with sea salt then placed on grill. Turned once. Pulled when biggest piece got to 195-200.

Also grilled oiled, salted, peppered, crushed garlc onion halves.

Oh yeah the salmon and scallops were good also.

Tossed remaining taters in fridge overnight. Will combine with some traditional ingredients for tonight. havent decided if I will go mayo or vinaigrette based dressing yet.

I do have some left over homemade pesto sauce in the fridge.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes