Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,769,290 times

Advertisements

Love falafel...these days, eating TaDah, a frozen falafel wrapped in tortilla. Company is Eat Good, Do Good...

Very tasty but do make own sauces. Convenient too.

Don't care for boxed falafel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,401,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I have heard that.

I remember being on the phone with a person in the Midwest once and she gave me a name of someone named Don something to call. I asked how Don spelled his last name, and she said "Don is a 'she'." I realized she was saying "Dawn".

We pronounce the "w" here. We even like to put it in words like "tawk" and "cawfee".

Language is almost as much fun as food!
Yep! Rust Belt/Great Lakes/"Da Bearss"/Chicago-style "SOOPerfan" type vowels. We tend to gloss over the /aw/ and make it more of an /ah/. I had a pastor, growing up, who was from Milwaukee. Which literally has a "au". But when asked where he was from, he'd always say, "Mil-WAAAAH-kee."

Buffalo, NY, kinda has it, too. It wraps its way around the Great Lakes.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 3,389,971 times
Falafel is one of my favorite things to make for a party or pot luck. I use the following recipe for the falafel and usually double the recipe and make them a small appetizer size. Also, I just pan fry them in enough oil to coat the pan and then flip, no deep frying.

Sean's Falafel and Cucumber Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 02-23-2018, 04:57 PM

29,691 posts, read 34,228,913 times
I'm sitting here muttering to myself trying to make "falafel" and "awful" not rhyme.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:46 PM

88,282 posts, read 84,257,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
And you *still* haven't called me.
I flew into Ottawa last September. If I'd known you were there I woulda!

I mostly drive to Ontario, but one time I flew. It's only 57 minutes flying time from Newark. From Ottawa I rented a car to get where I was going, and ever since, I get daily traffic reports for Ottawa.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 PM

88,282 posts, read 84,257,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm sitting here muttering to myself trying to make "falafel" and "awful" not rhyme.
Hahaha. Fa-LA-ful and Awwww-ful (NOT "Ah-ful). You have to make the "w" sound with your lips. the "LA" is with the mouth open. But mutter away.

There is a chocolate-covered strawberry company called "Shari's Berries", and I thought it sounded awkward, as if it was supposed to rhyme but it doesn't...then I realized that for some people, it DOES rhyme.

Then there's the Mary/Merry/Marry thing (all three words are said differently to me).

Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 PM

23,951 posts, read 32,277,525 times
Quote:
Just a question for the OP:

Do "falafel" and "awful" rhyme to you?

They don't to me. Just wondering.

MQ, I was thinking the very same thing! They sound NOTHING alike to me, with the East Coast accent that I will forever have. (no, not a stereotypical Brooklyn or Queens accent, but that's for another thread)

The only thing similar to me about the two words "Falafel" and "awful" is the last syllable "fel/ful" which sound identical to me.

"Felafel" is said "Fuh-Lah-ful" where as "awful" is said "AWE-ful" - after all, there is a "W" in the word, so I do not pronounce it "offle".

However it is said, I love the stuff, and I eat it once or twice a month.

Interestingly, growing up in the suburbs of NYC, in the 60s and 70s, I never had falafel.
It was not until I attended college at the culinary Mecca (no pun nor disparagement against the Middle East or Central Massachusetts intended) that is Worcester MA, that I even tried it.

Now it's common place, and I am glad about that. I often shop at a Lebanese market here in OH, for Middle Eastern specialtie
Honestly, I have made it my self, and I have used imported mixes, and I taste no difference. So, usually, I just by a mix recommended at the deli. "Near East" is probably the most accessible, and to me, it's fine. The foriegn mixes are more flavorful and definitely spicier.

My suspicion is that many restaurants use mixes. Good ones, but mixes none the less. I am sure that someone's middle eastern great grandma does it better - but then that is true of any regional or ethnic food.

A good felafel sandwich or wrap, depends so much upon the vegetables, seasoning, and bread in which it is served.

Felafel does not pretend to be a hamburger or a meatball.

It is what it is - a fried, well seasoned croquette made with chickpeas and seasoning. You don't need to deep fry it. And it's pretty healthy and as American, and easy to find as pizza or hot dogs.

Neither was "invented" in North America.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,032,601 times
You reminded me that I haven’t made falafel in a long while. I would love some with tzatziki sauce.

I have made falafel pattes and eggs for a veggie lunch. Very good, IMO. I need to buy a box of the mix.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,938,661 times
Quote:
I flew into Ottawa last September. If I'd known you were there I woulda!

I mostly drive to Ontario, but one time I flew. It's only 57 minutes flying time from Newark. From Ottawa I rented a car to get where I was going, and ever since, I get daily traffic reports for Ottawa.
Well, if you ever fly into Ottawa again and plan to stick around a bit, let me know. I'll buy you a falafel lunch!

Quote:
Hahaha. Fa-LA-ful and Awwww-ful (NOT "Ah-ful). You have to make the "w" sound with your lips. the "LA" is with the mouth open. But mutter away.

There is a chocolate-covered strawberry company called "Shari's Berries", and I thought it sounded awkward, as if it was supposed to rhyme but it doesn't...then I realized that for some people, it DOES rhyme.

Then there's the Mary/Merry/Marry thing (all three words are said differently to me).
Falafel and awful do rhyme, the way I say it.

Funny thing about Shari's Berries and Mary/Merry/Marry. (The first two sound identical to me.) My oldest friend's name is Charlotte. We call her Char. (Sounds like shaar.) Her sister is Cheryl. We call her Cher. (Sounds like sherr.) Their sister-in-law's name is Shari. We call her Shar. (Sounds like sharr.) When the three of them are all at the same event: Char, Cher, Shar. It's quite hilarious.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,811,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A Cockney accent makes those two words sound VERY different. No, I don't have a Cockney accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes