Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:02 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times

Advertisements

Since you like Italian sausage keep an eye out for Italian cheese & parsley sausage. It comes in a spiral ring with skewers holding it together. Delicious. If you have an Italian pork store or butcher in your area you should be able to find it. Great on the grill or seared in a cast iron pan and then finished on low/medium heat.

https://www.brooklynporkstore.com/sh...-sausage-ring/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
sausage & peppers.

Brown the sausages in a little oil and let them cook through. Take out the sausages.
Cut onion and bell pepper into strips and cook them in the same pan until they're soft add some minced garlic if you like it, a little salt and any other seasonings you like. Put the sausages back in the pan with the vegetables. Let it cook maybe 10 more minutes. Makes a nice sandwich on a long crusty roll, some people like to add a little marinara to the sandwich.

Forget this. Didn't see you couldn't eat peppers.
hehehehehe!! Thanks!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:14 PM

OH YUM!!! I did use it in spaghetti last night - I'm more adventurous than my mom was in the kitchen - though I'll never be able to make her biscuits or pie crusts... I split the casing and browned it then added to a small batch of my sauce - was afraid I wouldn't like it and didn't want to "ruin" the whole pan. Not that it would have! I'll definitely be buying more and freezing. keep those ideas coming!!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:11 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Take the meat from the casing and brown in a pan while breaking it up into small pieces, use those pieces in a risotto with dried porcini mushrooms and green peas.

Sliced cooked sausage also makes a great pizza topping.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I make a sausage and potato dish. You can either fry or bake the sausage whole and then put aside to cool. I use my mandolin, but if you don't have one slice potatoes about a quarter inch thick and then put in a frying pan with a little olive oil (That is all I use) cover and let them brown up, turning frequently with a spatula. You can slice some onion in. I usually will slice the onion into thin strips and then toss in once the potatoes look like they are soft.

While the potatoes are cooking, I slice the now cooled sausage into around half inch pieces and once the potatoes are cooked, I toss them into the pan and uncover. Cook long enough to have the sausage heat up again, at this point I mix thoroughly and then serve.

I spice to our taste. I use hot sausage because we like it, but I have made it for guests with sweet.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
When I make homemade sauce I add them to it and cook all day. You can make sausage, escarole and beans.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 AM

603 posts, read 445,015 times
I remove the casing and add it to chili.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
My DH loves sweet Italian sausage and peppers but you said no peppers.

You can make it with onions instead.

I love it on a sub roll with sauteed peppers and onions.

Slice it up and use for a breakfast meat. It can be used in an omelette or along side pancakes or french toast. It goes well with the syrup.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 AM

you guys are great!! I want to make sure I'm doing it right - you always have to remove the casing right? It's plastic? Not natural - edible?

thanks!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
The casing is edible. You can just slice the sausage (casing and all) into smaller 1"-2" pieces, and stir fry it with chopped onions, garlic, and tomatoes (I sometimes add mushrooms too).

If you want it dry, the meal is done as soon as the sausage is cooked. If you want a bit of gravy, cover the pan and let it simmer on low heat until the tomato pieces turn into mush and its juices thicken (about 5 mins or so). Sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley on top and serve over pasta or rice. This is one of my go-to meals when I'm too lazy to cook anything else complicated.

I do the same with Chorizo (spanish sausage) and the result is usually a bit spicier due to different spices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes