Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:08 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

I can justify buying canned salmon as I don't spend mega money on tech gadgets. The salad I just made when looking at the can (whole foods) 12g protein in the can. Since I don't use breads, my gluten free crackers are great.

Or just eating spoons for a protein lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Thoroughly mix-in olive-oil to canned salmon.......not quite creamy, but it makes a nice spread.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:45 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Wow, great thread. I love canned fish. I usually make a poor man's knockoff of nova lox with cream cheese.

Fish is supposedly a good breakfast before a road trip. It's brain food, so it helps you focus whiled driving. (Wash it down with tea, to remove the fish breath and keep thirst in check.)
I often eat (canned) fish for breakfast. There are so many ways to transform it to something different and delicious. Too bad that here, in America we have such extremely limited variety of canned fish...

Most Americans are grossed out by the smell, let alone the idea, of canned fish. The fear is as irrational as arachnophobia. It resists logic, but I still can’t resist trying to make sense of it.
Canned salmon doesn't just mean sandwiches — with the right ingredients, you can transform this convenient canned food into a tasty dish that's both nutritious and affordable.
Examples: salmon cakes, salmon "meatballs", salmon mixed with macaroni or rice, salmon dip with hummus, use as a topping for green salad, mix with kimchi etc...etc...

I think recipes should be posted in Recipe Forum.

Last edited by elnina; 03-11-2018 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I often eat (canned) fish for breakfast. There are so many ways to transform it to something different and delicious. Too bad that here, in America we have such extremely limited variety of canned fish...
Hit up Polish supermarkets. Canned fish is very popular in Eastern Europe. Which means their selection of canned fish is huge. Most, although not all, are sardines, herring, and other similar fish. They come with different sauces: mustard, broth, oil, tomato, paprika, etc. But there are also salmon and other more "glamorous" fish.

Speaking of recipes, I found one online for soup, made out of canned salmon and vegetables. It's Russian in origin, but the website is hosted in Canada. Wow, what an interesting concept. Sadly, most Americans won't stand for it.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
...Canned fish is very popular in Eastern Europe...
But Spain is known for the best canned seafood.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
But Spain is known for the best canned seafood.
That's true. But there's a noticeable price difference. Canned fish and seafood from Spain costs around $3 a can. I bought it and tried it; it was very good, but I'm not sure I'd pay $3 for it again. I've seen smoked herring in oil or herring pate (spread) from Latvia costing as little as $1 a can. I usually eat it on a toast, with a splash of hot sauce. Just make sure you use a bakery bread (it's sturdier), rather than the bagged kind; otherwise, the oil will soak through.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-12-2018 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I dislike canned seafood other than albacore tuna. It’s not a phobia, it doesn’t taste or smell good. No need to cast cultural aspersions or consider it sad.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I dislike canned seafood other than albacore tuna. It’s not a phobia, it doesn’t taste or smell good. No need to cast cultural aspersions or consider it sad.
But it's indeed cultural. It's not "sad", but it's true: canned fish (other than tuna) isn't a part of America's food culture, except among fans like myself and foodies in general. A lot of people don't like the smell, I get it. (Then again, what else would fish smell like? ) But if you ask a Scandinavian person, they might not find it so disagreeable, and they eat herring in pickled form , with onions to boot. Hey, look at it this way: as recently as 1990's, most Americans were put off by raw fish in sushi.

Here's a factoid: in American prisons, pouches of mackerel are used as fiat currency between inmates, after cigarettes were banned in 2004. Why? Nobody wants to eat it, and it costs $1 in the commissary. Which puts it at an easy price point. Such use became so widespread, that mackerel fishermen rely on prison sales as a sizable part of their income.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-12-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
But it's indeed cultural. It's not "sad", but it's true: canned fish (other than tuna) isn't a part of America's food culture, except among fans like myself and foodies in general. A lot of people don't like the smell, I get it. (Then again, what else would fish smell like? ) But if you ask a Scandinavian person, they might not find it so disagreeable, and they eat herring in pickled form , with onions to boot. Hey, look at it this way: as recently as 1990's, most Americans were put off by raw fish in sushi.

Here's a factoid: in American prisons, pouches of mackerel are used as fiat currency between inmates, after cigarettes were banned in 2004. Why? Nobody wants to eat it, and it costs $1 in the commissary. Which puts it at an easy price point. Such use became so widespread, that mackerel fishermen rely on prison sales as a sizable part of their income.
It is not a fiat currency, because it has intrinsic value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money

Old 03-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It is not a fiat currency, because it has intrinsic value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money
It might have intrinsic value inside the prison walls, and only between inmates; that's it. Once an inmate gets released, it's just fish. Which will be a problem when the release gets close. Mackerel can be eaten it in a pinch during the Greyhound ride home (if they choose to eat it), but it'll be almost worthless otherwise.

But let's not get too off-topic. We're talking about canned fish, not prison currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes