Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 AM

4,484 posts, read 9,265,369 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of making an ice cream cake - emphasis on ice cream, not cake. What about this?

Start with a layer of brownie. Bake, then freeze.
Put small scoops/pieces/slabs of different kinds of ice cream on top, using softened vanilla (or chocolate?) ice cream to hold it together.
Freeze.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 AM

37,016 posts, read 41,066,329 times
Make the brownie. While it's warm, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Make the brownie. While it's warm, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Well, that's good, too, but I'm thinking of making this for a birthday. Your suggestion would take a lot less freezer space, though.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 AM

37,016 posts, read 41,066,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Well, that's good, too, but I'm thinking of making this for a birthday. Your suggestion would take a lot less freezer space, though.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:54 AM

26,648 posts, read 26,607,950 times
I often make ice cream pies for birthdays; they're easier to make, freeze and serve. They go from very simple (you can use the pre-made graham cracker crusts) to the more elaborate.

Here's a more labor intenstive recipe, using crushed cookies as the crust. https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/co...9-e77ad2ca9495

Old 03-12-2018, 06:15 AM

13,041 posts, read 17,995,713 times
I go to a local dairy and buy 2 quarts of ice cream. Leave them out to soften slightly. I take a corning ware dish the height tall enough to accommodate the size cake I want. I use a round one. I line the corning ware with saran wrap. In my case, I use two sheets, half and half across the dish and enough to cover the sides. I put the ice-cream in the dish fold the saran wrap over the top of the ice-cream and freeze it. The saran wrap helps to pull the cake out of the dish looking like a cake.

I use real whipping cream and once whipped, I pull the dish out and give it a minute to thaw and pull the saran wrap off. I then "frost" it and decorate it a little before serving. You can frost and put back into the freezer but if you write on it the cold will make the writing blurry.

This is an all ice-cream cake.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 AM

32,549 posts, read 47,695,221 times
That would work quite well as long as you don't plan on frosting the cake. You could pipe on some rosettes, but generally, you aren't getting frosting to spread on either hard frozen or soft ice cream.

It will be a delicious cake, though.

If you use several different ice creams inside is it going to cause an issue with the guests trying to pick out what flavor they get?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 AM

13,041 posts, read 17,995,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That would work quite well as long as you don't plan on frosting the cake. You could pipe on some rosettes, but generally, you aren't getting frosting to spread on either hard frozen or soft ice cream.

We don't like icing or frosting so it works well with whipped cream. I guess maybe Cool Whip too.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If you use several different ice creams inside is it going to cause an issue with the guests trying to pick out what flavor they get?
They will be adults, so hopefully they won't fight. That actually was my reasoning: some prefer lots of chocolate; others like fruit-flavored ice cream.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,084,500 times
If you have a square or rectangular pan you could layer ice cream and chocolate graham crackers, then when you take it out of the freezer cover with whipped cream.

If you like the crunchy layers in an ice cream cake you could crush the graham crackers for the layers. Then you could use any shape pan.

I like the Nabisco famous wafers because they have a stronger chocolate flavor but they're up to $5 for a one sleeve box.They're very good for use with ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes