Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:06 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
Of course you should defrost it. Take it out for a good 6 hours before you cook. Cook until pink is gone. Id say 20 min
They are not meant to be defrosted prior to cooking nor is there any need to thaw them prior. They are perfectly fine when cooked from the frozen state. That is the convenience of them. (Plus, even if it were thawed, there is no reason to cook any thawed burger patty for 20 mins. You don't even cook these frozen patties for 20 mins.)

OP, any frozen burgers I have ever purchased has detailed instructions on the back of the box/bag on how to fry, grill or broil them. Instructions may vary depending on what size/weight/type the patty is so just follow those instructions and you should be good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 02:05 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I get the frozen angus burgers for costco and put them in the microwave. I HATE microwave meat, but these are really goof.
was this a Freudian slip?

Old 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
was this a Freudian slip?
You think that she meant to write "good." I think that she meant to write "food" but it's spelled backwards and part of the word is upside down.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Probably meant "good", possibly meant "goof proof."

Who knows. I think I had wine when I wrote that!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 PM

454 posts, read 448,594 times
Hey all. Got another question.

When you make a burger, are frozen burgers in general bad? Example i saw a video where a guy says you should never buy frozen burgers... should be fresh ground beef. First off, that is very expensive. Because wouldn't that mean the beef in the hamburger cost at like 3.50 minimum? I saw some grass fed beef patties at supermarket... they cost like 10 dollars for 2 of them. But the ground beef, even if you use that, they cost quite a bit. A beef pattie cost like 1 dollar or so when you buy them in a pack etc.

But ground beef is always better right as the burger? But thats like 3.5x the cost minimum at least. Also if you buy those beef, you basically have to make it like a burger shape size yourself. But when you cook it, do you need any oil? Because last time i made burgers with the frozen burgers on a pan and i put it on each side 3 minutes and i did not put any oil because someone mentioned oil is not needed. So oil not needed or not necessary? I want to make a burger again and curious what i should buy this time.. frozen ones or the regular beef.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 PM

454 posts, read 448,594 times
Also if you buy fresh ground beef... if you were to freeze it. Then later on use it as a burger, then would that mean the quality of it is the same as if you used a frozen burger? Or thats still not the same? I ask this because i seen frozen burgers that are very expensive because they are grass fed. Also they have grass fed beef and they cost more than ground beef.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
freezing the meat changes the taste and texture and not for the better. So yes, ideally, you'd use fresh ground beef. That's not always realistic of course.

But making your own burgers is almost always going to be better than machine formed, frozen slabs that may or may not even be 100% beef, and even if all beef, likely not the same quality of meat that you'd use at home.

Bottom line is whether you want to eat good food or if you want to eat cheaper food? Sometimes you can get the two to overlap, like buying fresh things on sale, but sometimes, there's a reason why some food is cheaper than other food

Old 06-23-2018, 11:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
GRASS FED... ALL BEEF IS GRASS FED !!

even the cattle that gets grain to finish on is GRASS FED most of their lives...they are finished on grain to grade as prime choice select......most grassfinished never gets graded..

as a butcher/meat manager and meat supervisor...…. that has ground up millions of all types of burger (even grass fed and organics) here is my suggestion

make your own patties from burger/ground beef from places where you know they still grind it in-store from steak trimmings (not at Walmart)
otherwise your burger and future burger patties are from a million pound batch a thousand miles away …..and personally I do not like the sour taste of grass finished beef and its too damn expensive..

buy your burger from a meat market or smaller iga store that still has butchers..

and dont buy too lean its dry and flavorless....buy ground chuck or 80-85% lean

ideally buy your own little electric grinder off ebay for 60.00 (2600 watts) and grind your own steaks and roasts that go on sale......that way you know exactly whats in it.....I stock up when chuck steaks and roasts are on sale for 2.99lb ….. and grind them

again no need to buy wayyyyy overpriced so called grass fed or organic burger....
look for the sales from stores that grind it fresh daily

I cook a burger on the grill or fry ...or broil......to me its more important its real burger ..

to thaw....put it in the fridge...

oh yes...one last tip about burger if you buy burger and go to make patties and its dark/brown in the middle it's not spoiled....the outside is exposed to oxygen and is red...and the inside with no oxygen reverts back to its original color......just like if you pricked a purple vein......when it hits the air/oxygen it blooms red

Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
who ever said cook a burger 20 minutes is ridiculous! You might as well eat a boot. If I can't grill outside then I use my cast iron pan. It's browns better than a non-stick pan. Never use oil when making burgers and steaks never! I cook my burgers about 3 minutes a side. a little longer for those who want it cooked more. But most of my family eats them medium rare. I use frozen burgers a lot in the summer and I thaw mine out, I realize I can cook it from frozen but I have always done it this way and they come out fine. If you buy fresh ground chop meat you can make your own burgers and freeze them individually in sandwich sized zippy bags. Someone else asked if you have family that can show you how to cook. You also ask them. Maybe take a cooking class. Are you single? Male or female (not that it matters) I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes