Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For me, Etoufe.
What kind of etouffee did you make? I really like Prudhomme's recipe for crawfish etouffee, even though it has quite a list of ingredients in the spice mix. We are lucky that our local Restaurant Depot carries 30 to 35# sacks of live crawfish during the season. I just did a boil weekend before last. We ended up with about 1-1/2 pounds of tail meat after everyone was through eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:01 AM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Shepherds pie, braised lamb shanks or rack of lamb.

But the complicated part was raising the lamb.
Wow because I was going to say that lamb was a staple around here- but you raise your own?! Yeah that's time investing.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That would probably be the time I made tamales from scratch about 5 years ago. I even used real corn husks. That was a lot of work. Delicious, but haven’t done it since.
Tamales are a community food. What I mean by this is that they are traditionally made assembly line-style by several people in huge amounts to be distributed, or in the age of refrigeration, frozen and stored.

One person making tamales for a single dinner for 4 people is simply not done.

Rather, about a half dozen or more women (traditionally women) make a few hundred tamales for a few dozen people in one mega session.

In New Mexico, making a huge batch of tamales is a Christmas tradition and families often make more than they have freezer space for. As a result, I have had people gift me tamales to the point where I had a half dozen or more, each of 3 or 4 different productions. It is nice to have a freezer full of tamales.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:16 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Not one thing, but a German menu. It took ages to source some things (I forget), and prepare other things. I was supposed to be able to buy canned dark cherries in their own juice--not pie filling. It took some time and work to come up with the desired product. I bought a cherry pitter.

This was in the 1970s. I had to go to the library and do a lot of guessing.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

In New Mexico, making a huge batch of tamales is a Christmas tradition and families often make more than they have freezer space for. As a result, I have had people gift me tamales to the point where I had a half dozen or more, each of 3 or 4 different productions. It is nice to have a freezer full of tamales.
I'm so jealous!

I will say at Christmas and Three Kings we get bottled Coquito (coconut eggnog) from different families who make Coquito in large batches. It is delicious!

Old 05-09-2018, 10:54 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Wow because I was going to say that lamb was a staple around here- but you raise your own?! Yeah that's time investing.
We used to raise Suffolk and Southdown sheep. Huge PITA. Lambing season, bottle lambs, sheep breaking down fences, shearing. I don’t miss it.
I do miss our lamb though. Best ever.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:27 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Pumpkin pie using a fresh pumpkin. Don’t ask me why and never again. A can of Libby’s pumpkin for me from here on out.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
a lemon chiffon wedding cake and I will never do it again . It took me almost 6 hours until done right . No thank you I can find a lot to do in 6 hours besides making a wedding cake .

Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Fruitcake.
Maybe more time consuming than complicated, especially this step "Once a week, brush the cakes with more liquor"
https://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/fruitcakesec.htm

Old 05-10-2018, 02:12 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
I once made an omelet exactly the way Julia Child told me to. It was very very good, but after that I always streamlined the process. I did learn the fundamentals, which are worth knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes