Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM

712 posts, read 555,104 times

Advertisements

When my pantry is bare it is even more challenging for me because I have eaten a keto way of eating for over 14 years. So the simple spaghetti or such isn't even in my pantry.

When this happens we usually just order to go from to our local BBQ restaurant as they gave me a 20% off card that never expires and their 1/2 pound meals feeds both my husband and I very well.

So for 1/2 pound shredded roast pork, and 2 sides for $10.99 or Their shredded chicken and 2 sides is $9.99 and their beef brisket is $10.99 then subtract the 20%. I cannot buy and cook these for this amount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
We don't have desperation dinner issues. Panty, freezers and fridges are never empty.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
quesadillas - always have tortillas and some kind of cheese and if lucky a leftover bit of chicken or something. If not, a little chili powder and salsa.
spaghetti with garlic and oil - always have those three items in house and to add protein, usually have parmesan cheese. Frankly, I love this and eat it when not desperate.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:12 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Baking potatoes. Then cream some veggies or leftover meat and create your loaded baked potato. Something as simple as canned corn and cheese is tasty and filling.

Or use cheese sauce. Make it yourself from milk, flour, butter and long-keeping Velveeta cheese that you keep on hand. Top them with parsley or bacon bits to dress them up a bit.

I keep pasta and corn tortillas on hand for last minute casseroles or enchiladas (topped with salsa) made out of left-overs.

Tuna melts under the broiler. Mix tuna, a little mayo, chopped onion, pickle relish and cubed cheese. Spread on toast and broil. Or top toast with bacon and Velveeta and broil.

I keep roasted red peppers, sliced water chestnuts, slivered almonds and a variety of pickles on hand. These things will quickly elevate a hot dish to something a little more company worthy.

Chicken Divan: Frozen broccoli cuts topped with leftover frozen chicken. Sprinkle water chestnuts. Top with can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with sour cream. Layer cheese on top.

And there's always the old brunch fall back of pannekoeken. Spectacular in their presentation but cheap and simple in their prep. Fresh fruit is best but I keep a couple of different cans of pie filling handy to pour into the bottom of the cast iron skillet. Top with beaten eggs, milk and flour and pop into a hot oven for a short time. Watch it rise and like magic you have a small miracle to bring to the table.

'tatoes and eggs. Fry eggs with chopped onions and pour some beaten eggs over the top. Stir. Serve with ketchup. Who doesn't like fried potatoes and ketchup?

Frozen waffles and Jimmy Dean sausage patties when they are on sale. Top with your stash of real maple syrup and garnish plate with orange slices.

Just a word about presentation. If you have a special dish, serving spoon, a doily for the serving plate, pretty paper napkins, toothpicks with cellophane decoration on the top, even paper drink umbrellas (LOL) you can elevate a slap-dash meal at least to humorous, if not charming.

It's summer - go pick something edible to put on the plate. Pansies, nasturtiums, violets. I grow them just for this purpose.

My story about nothing to eat:

I know about that. The first year my husband was drafted into the Army we lived paycheck to paycheck and they only came once a month. Lean times.

But after we had children I always made sure there was something healthy around even if it was cheap. And when they were little I tried to be there when they got home from school to give them something good. But one day I can't remember what drew me away from home just before sixth grade son got home.

Later my mother told me he had called her, sixty miles away, to complain, "My mom is gone and there's nothing in the house to eat."

When I got home that night I made shrimp fettuccini for supper. He said, "How'd you do that?" Mom's have their secrets. When you have sixth grade boys you have to be creative about storing food, right?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I always have spaghetti and jars of sauce.

Always.

Progresso tomato soup, cheese and crackers
Chopped vegetables into stir fry
Defrost single chicken breast for BBQ sauce/ chicken
Defrost Boars Head deli turkey, use with hot mustard in tortilla
Beans, tortilla, cheese, salsa

I keep Taco Bell bean burritos frozen when possible....
they freeze beautifully and take just minutes to defrost

DiGiorno frozen mini cheese pizzas....cook in 3 min in microwave

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
I stock neither canned 'meat' nor canned 'cheese'.
But I always have macaroni, granulated garlic, olive oil and grated cheese.
Voilà, Pasta Aglia Olio!

Old 05-17-2018, 12:24 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Always have a bag of Trader Joes 21-30 ct. shrimp raw, unpeeled with tails in the freezer.
Frozen small packages of ground Beef/ pork/ Veal/lamb./chicken

Cans of San Marzano whole tomatoes, or home canned Roma tomatoes in quarts and pints. (running out of those..been a long cold Winter :~})

Always have rice, pasta,all kinds of beans, dried and canned.

Tinned Tuna, (in oil of course ) Sardines too... canned and dried fruits and veggies.

My wife loves eggs, so they are always in the fridge..

So many things you can whip up in a hurry, a quick pasta dish, Shrimp Chowder, mac and cheese, Chili, soups..list is infinite.

Always have bread in the freezer too.

After the last cupla Hurricanes hit, I bought a few boxes of MREs too.

I forgot to mention all the Asian sauces, dried noodles and tins of bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, peanut oil, to make a quick stir fry, egg foo yung, lo mein etc.

Spring/summer/ fall there is always fresh veggies and herbs avaiiable in the Magoo Manor Garden.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-17-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
Quote:
I do know how tempting it is to go out to eat when there is nothing much in the house to prepare.

What do you fix when you need to eat in, but the pantry is pretty bare? Do you have a strategy you care to share? Do you have foods you always have on hand for whatever presents itself?

I just swallow my pride and go out. That's what takeaway is for. Problem solved.

Mc10:35 * 2, pancakes and Sprite, the ultimate "desperation dinner".

Old 05-17-2018, 12:43 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I just swallow my pride and go out. That's what takeaway is for. Problem solved.

Mc10:35 * 2, pancakes and Sprite, the ultimate "desperation dinner".
My ultimate desperation dinner was a Jam Sandwich.*

* two slices of Wonder Bread...Jammed together.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:17 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
My ultimate desperation dinner was a Jam Sandwich.*

* two slices of Wonder Bread...Jammed together.
We used to call that a 'Wish Sandwich'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes