Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,207,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That's what slow-cookers are for. They'll tenderize the meat quite nicely, as well as infuse it with any flavors you add.
my grandmother taught me that many years ago...I was born at night...but not last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,204,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do know how tempting it is to go out to eat when there is nothing much in the house to prepare. But, surely you have had to decide to just make something, even though the somethings you have to work with are pretty scanty. We decided to eat in a couple of nights ago, even though we haven’t shopped in over a week.

I made biscuits and topped them with creamed canned salmon. It was actually good! But I consider that a desperation meal. What do you fix when you need to eat in, but the pantry is pretty bare? Do you have a strategy you care to share? Do you have foods you always have on hand for whatever presents itself?

I keep canned beans, tomatoes, canned fish and eggs around. And of course, I always have coffee.

All you good cooks, share your tactics.
When I was single and didn’t have money I bought this book. A man a can a plan.
I also shopped at 99 cent store

Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,207,411 times
Quote:
Another idea for a desperation dinner is to rip off prison recipes, easily found online. They're made with cheap (by that, I mean found at Dollar Tree), shelf-stable ingredients. Except that you can use an actual stove, rather than MacGyvering an immersion heater out of a stripped power cord and paper clips. Or just microwaving it.

For example,: spread, brownies, burritos, cookies, etc. Just google the word "prison" followed by what you wish to make.
Speaking of Prison recipes, Alcatraz prison was known for it's more than adequate and tasty prison fare.
There were even some restaurants in Cali that emulated the prison's menu.

Here is a menu from Alcatraz circa 1946.. looks to be pretty damn good eatin' to me.
https://www.eonline.com/news/448198/...or-prison-food

Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,822,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
When I was single and didn’t have money I bought this book. A man a can a plan.
I also shopped at 99 cent store
I've read that book at Barnes & Noble. I didn't like it. It tries too hard to be "real" and down-to-earth. As a result, the pages are cardboard like in a children's book, the tone is patronizing, and the recipes are written at a 2nd-grade reading level. Most ingredient are canned (hence the name) or processed, which doesn't make them very healthy. I've read in Amazon reviews that some mental hospitals use it to teach cooking to patients. That's not a bad use of it, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Speaking of Prison recipes, Alcatraz prison was known for it's more than adequate and tasty prison fare.
There were even some restaurants in Cali that emulated the prison's menu.

Here is a menu from Alcatraz circa 1946.. looks to be pretty damn good eatin' to me.
https://www.eonline.com/news/448198/...or-prison-food
Wardens had a different mindset back then, and the intent wasn't humane treatment. Food and everything else used to be cheap. So the prisons could afford it all. But the real reason was to fatten the inmates. Overweight inmates are more likely to be sluggish, and therefore less violent. So the large amounts of decent-quality food was meant to have a sedative effect. Sure, the costs added up; but they were made up in reduced man-hours needed to rein in the hungry, violent inmates. After all, when you're so full that you can't move much, and also overweight from insufficient exercise, you're less likely to try to attack someone for looking at you wrong.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:41 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:
Wardens had a different mindset back then, and the intent wasn't humane treatment. Food and everything else used to be cheap. So the prisons could afford it all. But the real reason was to fatten the inmates. Overweight inmates are more likely to be sluggish, and therefore less violent. So the large amounts of decent-quality food was meant to have a sedative effect. Sure, the costs added up; but they were made up in reduced man-hours needed to rein in the hungry, violent inmates. After all, when you're so full that you can't move much, and also overweight from insufficient exercise, you're less likely to try to attack someone for looking at you wrong.

The food at FEDERAL prisons has always been top of the line and continues to be. They have dietitians on staff developing nutritious menus and the like. And they spend 2-3x more than many state prisons do. This is one of the reasons that many federal penal institutions for NONVIOLENT prisoners is referred to as "Club Fed."

Old 05-18-2018, 01:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,253,590 times
Quote:
I've read that book at Barnes & Noble. I didn't like it. It tries too hard to be "real" and down-to-earth. As a result, the pages are cardboard like in a children's book, the tone is patronizing, and the recipes are written at a 2nd-grade reading level. Most ingredient are canned (hence the name) or processed, which doesn't make them very healthy.
The pages are cardboard because it holds up (also why early childhood books are board books) and laminate for easy wipeability if ingredients get on the pages. It's for better functionality.

Paper-paged cookbooks and recipes get gross, and I personally hate swiping a screen when handling food. So these types of pages are very functional.

This particular cookbook, though, isn't intended to be especially healthy. It's intended to be quick and inexpensive meals for people with limited cooking expertise, limited cooking accoutrements, and little desire to do anything but a fast meal with convenient ingredients in hand.

It's got a niche.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,553,081 times
I don't eat pasta anymore but any kind of pasta with grated cheese and black pepper always did the trick.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I used to have 6 laying hens, 3 Leghorns and 3 Rhode Island Reds..so we always had eggs.

after they stopped laying, we had Chicken .

Old chickens are tough, but they still taste like chicken.
Aren’t old chickens stewing hens? They make good chicken and dumplings.

Your post is amusing. I wish I had access to fresh eggs anytime I wanted.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
Quote:
Another idea for a desperation dinner is to rip off prison recipes, easily found online. They're made with cheap (by that, I mean found at Dollar Tree), shelf-stable ingredients. Except that you can use an actual stove, rather than MacGyvering an immersion heater out of a stripped power cord and paper clips. Or just microwaving it.

For example,: spread, brownies, burritos, cookies, etc. Just google the word "prison" followed by what you wish to make.
Resourceful!

Old 05-18-2018, 02:22 PM

110 posts, read 87,909 times
Desperation dinner for me is peanut butter on crackers and buttered popcorn for dessert...I will put off going to the store for as long as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes