Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 AM

820 posts, read 971,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
OP, do you set up a two zone fire? If I grill on my Weber, I use the "reverse sear" method I also use on the BGE. You will need an instant read thermometer. Cook your steak on the cool side until the internal temp (taken from the side) is within 10F of your desired finished temp, then sear it on the hot side. You still need to let it rest before cutting into it. I wouldn't go any thicker than 1-1/2" nor less than 1" on the Weber, but I always get a 3" thick rib-eye for the Egg (have to get the butcher to cut it for me).

I’m still fairly new to grilling, but I do set a fire on both sides of the grill if that’s what you meant (sorry, still new to the terminology).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:12 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I’m still fairly new to grilling, but I do set a fire on both sides of the grill if that’s what you meant (sorry, still new to the terminology).
You bank the coals to one side of the Weber, which sets up a hot zone and a cooler zone. If you do the reverse sear, you start out on the cooler side and finish on the hot side. When you cooked your steaks did you use the lid? I'm also assuming you are using good steaks, rib-eye, porterhouse, NY strip, filet and they are at least 1" thick?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
I just got a new Weber Charcoal grill for my home, and I have twice tried to grill steaks on there. I like my steak medium rare <snip>I also had left the steaks out for around an hour before cooking and let them rest for about 5 mins. This is exactly what my cousin, a grilling expert, does, and he gets it medium rare every time without fail. I've ruined two good cuts of steak by cooking them until they're gray, and I really am hoping to get it right next time. These steaks were thin, by the way.
I had the same problem when I started grilling steaks. First, unless you really like thin steaks, buy a normal or thicker steak. They're tastier, and easier to cook. Second, get an instant-read thermometer, it will be your best friend.

Get the grill hot. No need to bank coals, or push to side. Once I dump the hot coals in the Weber, I wait about 5-10 minutes.

Steaks can sit out 30 minutes or so before cooking. If you're going to season them, now is the time to do it (I use a light coating of olive oil, then a light shaking of "Great Steak of Texas"). Take the temp before you put them on, it should be in the 50-70 zone. If it's cooler than mid 50's, you need to let them sit longer. Warmer than 70s, sat out too long. Over time, you'll get this part down pat.

Put on the grill, directly over the coals. Cook about 3-5 minutes, until just starting to char/brown. Then flip for the other side. Take the temp when you flip. You are shooting for 135. It's probably 100 or so when you flip.

Take the temp every minute until it hit 135 in several spots. Then pull it off and let it rest 5 minutes or so.

You have a perfectly done medium-rare steak.

I know some people can do this with touch, I'm not that gifted. So I use the thermo, and it never lets me down.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Yes, best way is with a thermometer and the faster it gives you a reading the better. I wouldn't recommend them but they sell some that stay in the meat so that you know exactly when they are ready. I like to cook my steaks over the hottest direct heat possible. This is of course my preference but the idea is to create a crust/sear on the outside before the inside overcooks. When you do this you have to be especially vigilant to not burn the steak. Turn it over before this happens. You don't have to spend a lot on a decent thermometer. Use a glove or mitt when taking the reading.

Here's a good one for $11.50

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP0...8K1SHHA4BJVZ1V

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I found timings and thermometers not so reliable. For me the best is a finger touch method. Poking meat with thermometer cause juices to escape.

Google: FINGER TEST TO CHECK THE DONENESS OF MEAT and you will find detailed explanation with pictures, even YouTube videos.

Note: it works on steaks, but for whole roast you do need a meat thermometer.
Timings are useless to me.

As an Ex-Chef, All I'll say this is the Post of the day

Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 AM

820 posts, read 971,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
You bank the coals to one side of the Weber, which sets up a hot zone and a cooler zone. If you do the reverse sear, you start out on the cooler side and finish on the hot side. When you cooked your steaks did you use the lid? I'm also assuming you are using good steaks, rib-eye, porterhouse, NY strip, filet and they are at least 1" thick?
I do cook them with the lid closed, and I also used 1” thick NY Strips.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
I do cook them with the lid closed, and I also used 1” thick NY Strips.
Then 5 min a side is too much time.

There is some good advice here, and a few interesting techniques that can be debated. But when all is said and done, you are giving too much heat for too long.

Some of this depends on your particular grill, and it sounds as if yours runs hotter than your firiends. Try it again, same size and cut of steak, for three minutes a side.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Get bone-in rib eyes. Have the butcher cut them at least 1 1/4 inch thick. Sear the steaks at high heat - about two minutes - then turn (not flip) about 90 degrees and sear anouther two minutes for a cross-hatch pattern. Flip and repeat on the other side. Remove to a steak platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil and rest for 10 minutes.

I get perfectly medium rare every time. If you want something extra, before taking off the grill, use your tongs to stand the steak on its fatty edge and sear that too - careful for flames - I use a long pair of tongs to do this.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:58 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I found timings and thermometers not so reliable. For me the best is a finger touch method. Poking meat with thermometer cause juices to escape.

Google: FINGER TEST TO CHECK THE DONENESS OF MEAT and you will find detailed explanation with pictures, even YouTube videos.

Note: it works on steaks, but for whole roast you do need a meat thermometer.
Timings are useless to me.
Me too. I also do this. MY DH told me. Now I make medium rare steak always.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 AM

5,318 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Why do my steaks always come out well done even though I time them for medium rare?

First, time does not correlate to doneness. In other words, you could buy 5 steaks, cook one every night on the same grill for the same amount of time and you're going to get 5 different results.

Too many variables - Steak cut, steak thickness, fat (is it dripping and causing flare ups?), even variables with the grill and weather.

Grilling steaks, above any other meat (IMO) is an active process. You need to monitor the progress of the steak. Sure time is helpful as in "check your progress after X minutes" but as that thing starts cooking you need to be on it.

Other things to keep in mind are to not pierce the steak, don't squeeze the steak, don't flip it constantly and importantly let it rest. The steak will continue to cook ever so slightly after removing it from the grill. I know a thermometer was recommended but I don't like to pierce the steak. After a few trials and error you will be able to tell the doneness by simply pressing on the steak with your grilling implements.

Don't be discouraged, it takes time but once you get the hang of it you will have great results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes