Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 PM

820 posts, read 972,420 times

Advertisements

I just got a new Weber Charcoal grill for my home, and I have twice tried to grill steaks on there. I like my steak medium rare and my cousin even told me the time to cook it on each side for mid-rare, and that's what I did. Both times, I seasoned the steaks (NY Strip) before putting them on, preheated the grill on high heat, then turned the heat down once I put the steaks on and cooked for 5 minutes on each side (with a timer). However, both times the outside of the steak looked promising, but on the inside there was not a trace of pink. I just barely was able to eat it without ketchup. I don't exactly understand what I am doing wrong here. Should I be cooking the steaks for less time on each side? Is there a heating technique that I am getting wrong? I also had left the steaks out for around an hour before cooking and let them rest for about 5 mins. This is exactly what my cousin, a grilling expert, does, and he gets it medium rare every time without fail. I've ruined two good cuts of steak by cooking them until they're gray, and I really am hoping to get it right next time. These steaks were thin, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Maybe you are cooking them too long or at too high a temperature. As I understand it you need to include ‘resting’ time as part of the actual cooking time, but what do I know.

“Cooked meat should be allowed to “rest” after cooking and before cutting. This permits the juices to be reabsorbed into the fibers of the meat. If you skip resting, you will lose more flavorful juices when the meat is cut. The internal temperature of the meat will always continue to rise a little during the resting period, so you should remove your meat from the oven or grill prior to reaching its target doneness temperature. Otherwise, it will be overcooked. Knowing the amount of heat rise during resting takes some experience. Generally, the larger the mass of the meat, the more the temperature at the core will rise during resting. This carryover cooking is due to the latent heat that is already traveling through the meat toward the cooler center.”

Info from:

https://blog.thermoworks.com/2010/11...r-meat-a-rest/

Old 07-08-2018, 04:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
well.....time depends on thickness....and also depends how hot the grill is..

I cook steak 3-4 times per week and sear the outside (whether im grilling or frying) then take off direct heat --it will still cook for a while...id rather under-cook that over cook I can always throw back on.

if you are doing this consistently then back off the time..

Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
OP, do yourself a favor, buy an instant-read thermometer. Time is a variable that depends on Other factors (as said above, temp and thickness), but medium-rare is ALWAYS the same finish temperature. So, skip the variables, go with the constant and measure the temp.

I absolutely HATE eating when my dad tries to grill. Everything comes off raw. Everything. It's because he also tries to use "time", which, oddly, doesn't seem to work when he's grilling in sub-zero temps in during a Montana winter (when I tend to visit). Don't do that to other people. No reason to do that to yourself either...

Old 07-08-2018, 06:20 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I found timings and thermometers not so reliable. For me the best is a finger touch method. Poking meat with thermometer cause juices to escape.

Google: FINGER TEST TO CHECK THE DONENESS OF MEAT and you will find detailed explanation with pictures, even YouTube videos.

Note: it works on steaks, but for whole roast you do need a meat thermometer.
Timings are useless to me.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:59 PM

820 posts, read 972,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
OP, do yourself a favor, buy an instant-read thermometer. Time is a variable that depends on Other factors (as said above, temp and thickness), but medium-rare is ALWAYS the same finish temperature. So, skip the variables, go with the constant and measure the temp.

I absolutely HATE eating when my dad tries to grill. Everything comes off raw. Everything. It's because he also tries to use "time", which, oddly, doesn't seem to work when he's grilling in sub-zero temps in during a Montana winter (when I tend to visit). Don't do that to other people. No reason to do that to yourself either...
I know. I don't have a meat thermometer, but I really do need to get one. They also say things like poking the meat is dangerous, etc, but I'm truthfully not too worried about that. I feel like I'm cooking these steaks for as little time as possible, yet when I cut into it it's dried out and gray. The finger test is also another approach I could take, according to another poster.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Juices escape during the Rest period too... and not all are reabsorbed (even when not poked). But, how juicy are over-cooked steaks? Think they might be more juicy if poked a dozen times but NOT over-cooked? Yeah, me too.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Wait - FIVE MINUTES ON EACH SIDE?!!? Probably twice as long as necessary unless those steaks are two inches thick.

In re-reading your post, I think you've said these steaks were thin? That makes it hard to cook medium rare, and I'll bet your cousin is using steaks 1-1.5 inches. DH the ex butcher gets very annoyed with me when I bring home steaks that are only 1 inch thick.

It's easier to just buy the whole damn roast and let him pretend he's back in his butcher shop. And they will be 1.25-1.5 inches thick. These days, we split one of those big boys.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote: " turned the heat down once I put the steaks on"

Don't do this! You cannot sear the 2nd side with turned down heat.

Better to try cooking your steak for much less time on each side, let it rest a minute or so, and then try a slice of it.

If it's too underdone for your taste, an additional minute or so per side will likely finish cooking it without overdoing it.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
OP, do you set up a two zone fire? If I grill on my Weber, I use the "reverse sear" method I also use on the BGE. You will need an instant read thermometer. Cook your steak on the cool side until the internal temp (taken from the side) is within 10F of your desired finished temp, then sear it on the hot side. You still need to let it rest before cutting into it. I wouldn't go any thicker than 1-1/2" nor less than 1" on the Weber, but I always get a 3" thick rib-eye for the Egg (have to get the butcher to cut it for me).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes