Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Long story short - have an international potluck coming up for an early morning class. It is hotter than you know who's you know what over here right now, so not really jazzed to bake. It should be easy to transport and I'd like to avoid things requiring utensils. It should be of European origin. I'm tempted to do the opt-out of picking up a dozen donuts instead.

My brain doesn't work right when it's over 85 degrees, so I'm hoping someone who's in a colder climate (or isn't dealing with what I refer to as 'senior moments') can chime in.

Thanks in advance, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:45 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Do you cook? Want to wow? Do a strudel. It's not hard and can be made with all easy prepared food.

One box of phyllo will make two huge strudels. Thaw the phyllo, unfold, cover with a damp towel.

I butter two sheets at a time and that works well. Lay 2 sheets of phyllo (stacked) on your baking sheet, brush on melted butter, add two more sheets, brush with butter. Use half the package. I can't remember if that is 6 sheets or 8 sheets.

Longways, spread canned cherry pie filling on the middle third. Fold the other thirds, (the wings) over on top, cut steam holes, bake 350 degrees until phyllo is pale gold.

Cool, cut in slices, and serve.

I don't like canned apple pie filling, but you can used canned apple slices and add cinnamon and sugar.

I've made lemon strudel with lemon curd and that was excellent.

I make the cherry strudel with cream cheese pastry filling. The brand is called Dawn Exceptional and the filling comes in a long floppy tube from the restaurant supply house. Half a tube will make 2 strudels. I also buy their lemon curd filling.

I haven't made one yet, but you could fill a strudel with pineapple upside down cake topping: pineapple chunks, brown sugar, and butter. Maybe a few marascino cherries.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 07-25-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
wake up early and make your own donuts and put cinnamon sugar on them . Get a can of biscuits pop a hole in each biscuit , fry them in peanut oil and lay them on a cookie rack and take powdered sugar with a lil milk and wallah glaze at hand and then transport . I have done this several times for potluck at coffee hour at church . I would get up at 5 am and start them it only takes about an hour . Good luck with whatever you decide to do .so you can do half and half . half cinnamon sugar and the other half glazed . You will be a big hit .

Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Long story short - have an international potluck coming up for an early morning class. It is hotter than you know who's you know what over here right now, so not really jazzed to bake. It should be easy to transport and I'd like to avoid things requiring utensils. It should be of European origin. I'm tempted to do the opt-out of picking up a dozen donuts instead.

My brain doesn't work right when it's over 85 degrees, so I'm hoping someone who's in a colder climate (or isn't dealing with what I refer to as 'senior moments') can chime in.

Thanks in advance, folks.
Pick up some cannoli—as easy as doughnuts. All you need is an Italian bakery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannoli

Old 07-25-2018, 04:26 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Pick up some cannoli—as easy as doughnuts. All you need is an Italian bakery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannoli

Could not agree more

Option 2 call in sick

Old 07-25-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Do you cook? Want to wow? Do a strudel. It's not hard and can be made with all easy prepared food.

One box of phyllo will make two huge strudels. Thaw the phyllo, unfold, cover with a damp towel.

I butter two sheets at a time and that works well. Lay 2 sheets of phyllo (stacked) on your baking sheet, brush on melted butter, add two more sheets, brush with butter. Use half the package. I can't remember if that is 6 sheets or 8 sheets.

Longways, spread canned cherry pie filling on the middle third. Fold the other thirds, (the wings) over on top, cut steam holes, bake 350 degrees until phyllo is pale gold.

Cool, cut in slices, and serve.

I don't like canned apple pie filling, but you can used canned apple slices and add cinnamon and sugar.

I've made lemon strudel with lemon curd and that was excellent.

I make the cherry strudel with cream cheese pastry filling. The brand is called Dawn Exceptional and the filling comes in a long floppy tube from the restaurant supply house. Half a tube will make 2 strudels. I also buy their lemon curd filling.

I haven't made one yet, but you could fill a strudel with pineapple upside down cake topping: pineapple chunks, brown sugar, and butter. Maybe a few marascino cherries.
This all sounds delicious, but I can't bake in this heat. I have two boxes of phyllo dough in the freezer, and I have ingredients for a variety of fillings. It will have to wait until cooler days come. Tried to rep you but I have to spread some first.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Could not agree more

Option 2 call in sick
Cannolis are $3/ea at my local Italian delicatessen. For 25 students, I'd rather get a couple dozen donuts for $10. The deli isn't even open until after class is over - 10:00 am.

What I really planned originally was homemade crêpes filled with bananas and Nutella.

Any savory ideas? I was thinking along the lines of tortilla wraps, but that's not really European style.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:11 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I like the crepe idea, or maybe breakfast latkes or how about a no cook idea?https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14009/muesli/

Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Buy some mini croissants, cut them in half, slather with nutella and sliced strawberries.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:35 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I'm surprised no one suggested a pasta salad yet! Or some homemade pickled veggies?
Stop by the Russian grocery and pick up some sliced meats or pastry. There are also plenty German recipes on CD! This is one of my favorite posters: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...an-baking.html

It sounds like a great change!

Last edited by Heidi60; 07-25-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes