Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
This is great information. Especially the part about a roux can be made with bacon grease! I just thought that a roux was always butter and flour.
A roux is fat and flour. It's your choice of fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:07 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Some good ideas added here. I'll add another.

Here's an even simpler way to thicken a soup that my dad taught me: Add a few shakings of instant mashed potatoes to your pot and stir to the desired thickness. This is especially handy if you don't have time to cool down the soup enough to add flour. Instant mashed potatoes in that small amount don't change the flavor and are very forgiving to rushed cooks.

If you're missing that delicious roux flavor, or if you're ruing the lack of roux, just add a dollop of butter for flavor.

This works especially well with thickening ham and bean soup.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:45 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
This is great information. Especially the part about a roux can be made with bacon grease! I just thought that a roux was always butter and flour.
A Cajun roux is equal parts fat and flour. Different dishes call for different colored roux. The darker the roux the less of a thickening agent it becomes. Peanut butter, red brown, dark red brown and black roux are used in Cajun cooking.

Saturday I made a new to us recipe that called for 1-1/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup corn starch in a fried chicken coating. Worked very well.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Saturday I made a new to us recipe that called for 1-1/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup corn starch in a fried chicken coating. Worked very well.
Did you think it made the chicken more crisp?

Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,702 times
I use flour for dark gravy, (except white/country gravy) and corn starch for poultry gravy..

Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Did you think it made the chicken more crisp?
That and the way the coating was applied. It is probably one of the crunchiest coatings I've had.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
That and the way the coating was applied. It is probably one of the crunchiest coatings I've had.
Ah. That's what I was thinking. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Probably the only recipe I've ever made from that show.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes...-fried-chicken

Old 10-02-2018, 03:12 PM

29 posts, read 26,572 times
My Mom would make enough roux to keep in the refrigerator so when I got married in the 1960's, I did the same. We, my family, make a dark roux, oil and flour, when done its the color of chocolate. My Mom was French Creole and she nor I have ever made a roux with butter, it's burns and you can't get it dark enough. By keeping some in a glass jar in the refrigerator you will always have a tablespoon or such at your disposal. In fact years ago there was a cookbook called, First You Make a Roux.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 AM

923 posts, read 526,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Queen View Post
My Mom would make enough roux to keep in the refrigerator so when I got married in the 1960's, I did the same. We, my family, make a dark roux, oil and flour, when done its the color of chocolate. My Mom was French Creole and she nor I have ever made a roux with butter, it's burns and you can't get it dark enough. By keeping some in a glass jar in the refrigerator you will always have a tablespoon or such at your disposal. In fact years ago there was a cookbook called, First You Make a Roux.
I've noticed that also, unless I don't go all the way to dark roux. I'm not from LA, never been there, never had a "true" gumbo. Go by what I've learned on youtube and my own experiences. I like a thicker roux so I'll go dark, then add a TBS or 2 and cook it out a bit then add trinity. Makes for a thicker "soup/sauce".

Another way to thicken soup is to use corn or potatoes. They are both starch. I'll take frozen corn and grind in a blender/food processor and add to the soup. Potatoes I'll let cook down and it gives off starch.

Also someone said that noodles thicken a chicken soup, thats great advise. A nice thick noodle helps thicken great, not those flimsy thin ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes