Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 02:15 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times

Advertisements

Why not go back to buying the quicker cooking brand problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 02:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I’ve cooked brown rice in the microwave many times. I found a link for you:

https://steamykitchen.com/30301-how-...microwave.html

This method should give you nicely cooked brown rice a little faster. I use a round, lidded casserole dish, when I do it that way.

My rice cooker takes a long time to cook rice. It is convenient, but not speedy. Baking the brown rice is not speedy either. Micro cooking is the easiest way, next to pressure cooking it.

But, just today, I found in the freezer section at Whole Foods a package of precooked brown rice. The preferred method of preparing it is in the micro. I can’t wait to try it.

If you only have one small appliance, next to a toaster or toaster oven, you should own an Instant Pot, which makes excellent long grain brown rice. You could buy the smaller 4 qt size for yourself. Make rice once a week, and warm up leftovers during the following week.

The IP can do much, much more than cook rice.

I suspect that you previously found partially cooked brown rice, kind of like white Minute Rice in the store. Brown rice does require a longer cook time. It is my preferred rice. The IP does a beautiful basmati brown rice.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM

149 posts, read 104,180 times
I agree with happygrrrl; that is, I think you are using different types of rice (i.e., medium grain versus long grain). We mix medium grain brown rice with medium grain white rice, and cook it in the rice cooker. It is all cooked when the rice cooker goes off. Some rice cookers come with an insert to steam vegetables as another use.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
What other ways are there to use a rice cooker? I have a minimum of kitchen gadgets, that is more my daughter’s thing. I’m trying to keep it simple and acquire less. But I do like brown rice, just am baffled that what I bought before cooked so quickly. BTW, it was Walmart’s Great Value brand.
I use mine as a steamer as well!

Old 10-08-2018, 03:47 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
In an attempt to make my Instapot do other things, found this method works well to cook brown rice. I used the Aldi quick cook brown rice but I'm sure any one will be fine. 2 cups rice (I do not wash it), 2 1/2 cups water. Cook for 15 minutes at high pressure and let it release naturally i.e do not vent it. When the button drops signifying that the pot is safe to open, open the vent as a precaution and open. Perfect rice every time!

Old 10-08-2018, 04:46 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I actually prefer Jasmine rice. But if I eat brown rice I get it from my local Chinese take out, it's really good and fluffy.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:49 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
You might try sprouted brown rice. Cooks as fast as white rice with the nutrition of brown rice.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I had the same problem with almost all of the budget store brand brown rice brands. I started buying a higher grade brown rice, and WOW, sooo worth it! Tender, full of flavor, and delish!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Thanks Silibran, I’m going to try the microwave method.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions/ideas.

I’ve concluded from what others have said that maybe Walmart’s Great Value brand of brown rice was somewhat pre-cooked, that was why it cooked so quickly. I no longer do my grocery shopping at Walmart, so I guess I’ll adapt, or maybe buy a rice cooker, as much as I don’t want to. I do love brown rice!

Old 10-09-2018, 05:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
What other ways are there to use a rice cooker? I have a minimum of kitchen gadgets, that is more my daughter’s thing. I’m trying to keep it simple and acquire less. But I do like brown rice, just am baffled that what I bought before cooked so quickly. BTW, it was Walmart’s Great Value brand.
It's possible that it was "semi-refined" in that part of the husk was removed - it still looked brown but cooked a bit faster than the typical brown rice.

I usually add a little more than twice the water - maybe 2.5 times and it does take around 40 minutes after I turn it to a low simmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes