Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

DH is willing to try a fish taco. However, he doesn't like slaw, anything spicy, onion, tomato, avocado, tartar sauce, or cilantro.

I can think of lettuce/cabbage, maybe cheese (I only have cheddar), and . . . nothing else.

Is there anything else? I'll either bake the fish or cook it in the skillet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,076 times
Will he eat sour cream? (or thick yogurt, guessing not) you could mix in any seasoning or herbs he will eat or even just plain

There’s also something similar to sour cream called Mexican crema that might be available at your grocery store, it doesn’t have any other spices in it but goes well on tacos.

If he’s ok with cabbage but doesn’t like mayo based slaws, maybe one mixed with rice vinegar (Asian style) or Italian salad dressing (or other sort he might like?)

Old 10-20-2018, 02:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Id just serve him a fish taco and let him decide what he wants on it. theres a good chance he wont like it so do have a plan B.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:02 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Nothing spicy? Will it still be considered a taco?

What about black beans. Radishes? I like radishes mine. Also carrots marinated in jalapenos. Of he doesn't like hot stuff maybe grated carrot?

Maybe just make him a peanut butter sandwich and keep the fish tacos to yourself. ��

Old 10-20-2018, 02:03 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Id just serve him a fish taco and let him decide what he wants on it. theres a good chance he wont like it so do have a plan B.
I agree, & I do not pander to picky eaters. let him eat it plain, or let him find a topping he will eat. But kudos to you both for trying.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
This guy sounds exhausting to cook for. I want to wish you luck.

I like the idea of giving him a plain taco and letting him decide how he wants to eat it. I imagine, his choice will be eating it plain.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:21 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This guy sounds exhausting to cook for. I want to wish you luck.

I like the idea of giving him a plain taco and letting him decide how he wants to eat it. I imagine, his choice will be eating it plain.

He's actually pretty simple, but I get bored. A plain piece of chicken/pork/turkey/fish, a pile of vegetables, and a salad with no dressing. Back when he did the cooking he also cooked rice every night.

When i first took over the cooking he didn't want me to use olive oil, butter, onions, salt, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, pasta, anything spicy, dairy (except in quiche), . . . . Now I make a lot of different things that he'll eat, and most of those ingredients are frequently present (not the tomatoes, pasta, or very spicy stuff, and only rarely salt). I'm not sure how much he's aware of. It's more of a "Don't ask, don't tell" situation.

No vinegar, no radishes. No sour cream. (He will eat yogurt, but only the strawberry kind.) He says he's fine with just fish and lettuce in his taco. The black beans are a good idea, and he will eat those, so I'll try that next time. (I should have asked earlier.) He eats carrots, too, and carrots are good with black beans.

Thank you, brave posters, for coming up with suggestions.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:40 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
He's actually pretty simple, but I get bored. A plain piece of chicken/pork/turkey/fish, a pile of vegetables, and a salad with no dressing. Back when he did the cooking he also cooked rice every night.

When i first took over the cooking he didn't want me to use olive oil, butter, onions, salt, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, pasta, anything spicy, dairy (except in quiche), . . . . Now I make a lot of different things that he'll eat, and most of those ingredients are frequently present (not the tomatoes, pasta, or very spicy stuff, and only rarely salt). I'm not sure how much he's aware of. It's more of a "Don't ask, don't tell" situation.

No vinegar, no radishes. No sour cream. (He will eat yogurt, but only the strawberry kind.) He says he's fine with just fish and lettuce in his taco. The black beans are a good idea, and he will eat those, so I'll try that next time. (I should have asked earlier.) He eats carrots, too, and carrots are good with black beans.

Thank you, brave posters, for coming up with suggestions.
I take it he doesn't have tomatoes in salad? Make a tomatillo sauce using green bell pepper instead of poblano. Re-fried black beans would make a good base in the taco. You can serve plain cabbage for tacos. Cumin rice would be a good side.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:49 AM

603 posts, read 445,015 times
Mix half mayo with half plain yogurt and add lots of lime or lemon juice to thin it out.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I gotta say that I wouldn't have gotten past the second date with this guy.

I would suggest just putting his fish in a plate with a side of black beans and a bowl of lettuce and carrots. You have the taco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes