Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Why the hell would you waste money on slow cooker liners? Seems like they all do is to aid in cleanup. As in, take out the liner and throw in the trash. You're going to want to clean the slow cooker insert, anyway, so what's the point? There's always a sucker born every minute.

And you want to incorporate heated vinyl into your food? That's like poison, man. Not to mention the environment.
Sorry you're having a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Thanks to all of you!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 AM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Sorry you're having a bad day.
What are you even talking about?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:10 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Personally, I wouldn't bother with them. I'm on the side of its easy to clean. At worst, it sits in hot soapy water until we've finished eating. No dishwasher.

That said, I don't think I've used the thing since I bought my instant pot.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:35 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
I just spray my crockpot with Pam or the generic equivalent and I've never had a problem cleaning it up. As soon as it's cool enough I put it in the sink with a squirt of Dawn and fill it with hot water to soak. Washes out just fine. I really don't want the liner leaching who-knows-what into my food.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
A solution in search of a problem. It looks, however, as though the marketeering worked.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I remember when liners were suggested for older crock pots which might have leached lead into the food.

I've never used them, but they're obviously popular enough that there are numerous brands available. I can see, too, where they might be a big help to the elderly or those with dexterity issues, because some of the stoneware inserts can be heavy/cumbersome to remove for cleaning.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:05 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I just spray my crockpot with Pam or the generic equivalent and I've never had a problem cleaning it up. As soon as it's cool enough I put it in the sink with a squirt of Dawn and fill it with hot water to soak. Washes out just fine. I really don't want the liner leaching who-knows-what into my food.
And I worry about whatever might be in a can of spray on, and am always reluctant to use them. Now I'm going to wonder which would kill me quicker

Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
I've never used the liners although I've seen a few cooking videos where it was used. I've never had much issue in clean up. Like a couple people mentioned, fill with hot soapy water, soak for a bit and clean up isn't too bad.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:39 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
I've been doing crockpot only cooking for months now... glad I didn't give them away before moving, cuz at first I just didn't like them as the food tastes different & not as tasty to me as slow cooking in cast iron, which I prefer... I have a large & small size crocks.

I thought about the liners, but do agree with the crusty poster who said they'd just leach plastic into my food, which I don't want. I never use tin foil for the same reason of not wanting aluminum itself or the flavor in my food... & I have a sensitive palate, so do taste it.

For cleanup, as others have said, the slippery surface of the crock allows for fairly easy cleanup & I do like to leave food for 12-hrs in the crock, so always have baked on food to remove. I immediately soak in hot water & soap & usually need to scrub just a touch with cheap salt (my go to natural cleaner) on a sponge. I have limited time & never find it to be a lengthy process... 30-seconds longer than washing out any dish or bowl.

Then again, I drain bacon on newspaper so I don't need to waste paper towels & use supermarket plastic bags only for trash, penny pincher that I am. I don't think you need to use bags, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes