Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should stuffing include eggs or nuts?
Stuffing should include eggs. 17 37.78%
Stuffing should not include eggs. 19 42.22%
Stuffing should include nuts. 2 4.44%
Stuffing should not include nuts. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 PM

44,955 posts, read 59,942,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Eggs??!!! Nuts!!??!!
What's happening?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My thought exactly.
Well, Texans.

A lot of it is regional. Oysters in Maryland and Tidewater Virginia. Sauerkraut in Baltimore. Cornbread in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:09 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,240,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't understand the "eggs as a binder" comments. When did stuffing have to be "bound"?

I know it's a matter of taste so if you like it, great! I guess I just like plain jane stuffing, cooked in the bird, so I'm not understanding the binder stuff.
You can't taste one or two beaten eggs in a few pounds of stuffing. In my family we can't put the stuffing in the bird because a couple of people have Celiac's Disease. Putting the stuffing in the bird would make them very sick. Additionally some of us with large families need to cook more stuffing than will fit in a large turkey.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,999,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It just gives it a softer, more held together texture than stuffing made without a binder, which tends to be more crumbly.

I haven't stuffed a bird in many years. I don't find it worth the trouble and the fact that it makes the bird take longer to cook and be more likely to be overcooked.
I don't like it stuffed in the bird, either. I think it tends to dry the bird out, too.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,020,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Eggs??!!! Nuts!!??!!
What's happening?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My thought exactly.
Someone must’ve hated their stuffing for Thanksgiving... .

Anyway stuffing/dressing, for me, “stuffing†(for the Turkey) is whole peeled onions. “Dressing†(that isn’t for salad) is bread crumbs/cubes with chicken broth/stock, gizzards, onion and sausage. Works for me!

Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 PM

48,305 posts, read 34,442,387 times
All of my recipes used have had eggs as a binder - no complaints yet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well, Texans.

A lot of it is regional. Oysters in Maryland and Tidewater Virginia. Sauerkraut in Baltimore. Cornbread in the South.
Tarnation!

I chop up and saute onions and celery for added flavor and a little crunch, but I've seen all sorts of craziness like dried fruit and proteins...plumb loco if you ask me.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,023,267 times
I never use eggs, as a binder i find the butter i fry the onions in serves that purpose.
Ingredients for my stuffing goes something like this \=
Loaf of bread usually rye cubed.
Couple of carrots and celery stalks shredded.
a goodly amount of sage
usually a handfull of dried cranberries, \
in a frying pan heat up onions and turkey liver and fry in lots of butter,
then add the butter onions and liver to bread mixture and when cool enough knead into a ball and put the whole thing in a bread pan cover with bacon strips and cook for 45 minutes or until the bacon is crispy,
at some point i'll add salt and pepper.
every one loves it.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 AM

14,659 posts, read 14,758,609 times
I've never used eggs in stuffing but sometimes I've included pine nuts.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,387,325 times
I give up on stuffing, I cant make it!!! I have no clue what I did to only make it partially edible this year.
I've used eggs like granny, no eggs this year and it's still this glob of a mess.

I've found two food arch enemies in my life.. Stuffing and Pie crust. For now on I'll order my stuffing or use stove top..

Old 12-01-2018, 06:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,965,127 times
my sister in law puts spiced apples and sausage , chicken broth , lots of butter real butter ,no celery , no eggs , no nuts but lots of sage , paprika , brown sugar and chives and believe it or not it is delicious . Her husband my youngest brother loves it that way . My s.i.l. is polish and she said in Poland this is the normal for a poultry item . I have tried it and although not my thing it is good . My husband of course who is one of the pickiest eaters I have ever known does not like it . His mother only cooked with salt and pepper they were real country hillbillies and she saw me put sage and cilantro on a dish one time and she was shocked that I would use "high cost spices " like that .l kid you not .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes