Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should stuffing include eggs or nuts?
Stuffing should include eggs. 17 37.78%
Stuffing should not include eggs. 19 42.22%
Stuffing should include nuts. 2 4.44%
Stuffing should not include nuts. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,870,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I give up on stuffing, I cant make it!!! I have no clue what I did to only make it partially edible this year.
I've used eggs like granny, no eggs this year and it's still this glob of a mess.

I've found two food arch enemies in my life.. Stuffing and Pie crust. For now on I'll order my stuffing or use stove top..
My ex-MIL used to make the most horrid stuffing. Every year it was terrible. She put too much sage and it was always dry as dust. Most of us lied and said it was good. One of her sons told her diplomatically that he preferred her other dishes and that the stuffing needed improvement. She told him tough, she made it just like her mother used to make it and we were stuck with the recipe as it was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 08:49 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,031,869 times
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipe...-stuffing.html

Another vote FOR EGGS in stuffing. Definitely improves the texture IMO.

If you are having issues with making a dependable stuffing try the link above. Made a double batch of this for Thanksgiving this year and though I'm no great cook it was fantastic, IIDSSM! All 11 guests commented on how good it was. The fresh herbs and "UNSEASONED" bread I feel were the key. Only deviated from the recipe by making a quick broth with the turkey's giblets and some aromatics and I substituted 1/3 of the chicken stock with the homemade broth. I also had some dried apples that I diced and added to the mix. All was cooked separately outside of the bird.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:51 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,388,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My ex-MIL used to make the most horrid stuffing. Every year it was terrible. She put too much sage and it was always dry as dust. Most of us lied and said it was good. One of her sons told her diplomatically that he preferred her other dishes and that the stuffing needed improvement. She told him tough, she made it just like her mother used to make it and we were stuck with the recipe as it was
It's not bad tasting, it's just not that good either
It's an ugly glob also.. Come to think of it really maybe my Granny's wasn't the best either, just what we were used to.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,301,023 times
I do a southern sage and cornbread dressing. The cakes of cornbread that are crumbled for the base contain egg.

I hate stuff made with bread cubes. Too gummy and gluey.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,475,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What about oysters?
Dressing for turkey dinner at our house always has oysters.

Other dressings like for pork might have walnuts & apples.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:13 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipe...-stuffing.html

Another vote FOR EGGS in stuffing. Definitely improves the texture IMO.

If you are having issues with making a dependable stuffing try the link above. Made a double batch of this for Thanksgiving this year and though I'm no great cook it was fantastic, IIDSSM! All 11 guests commented on how good it was. The fresh herbs and "UNSEASONED" bread I feel were the key. Only deviated from the recipe by making a quick broth with the turkey's giblets and some aromatics and I substituted 1/3 of the chicken stock with the homemade broth. I also had some dried apples that I diced and added to the mix. All was cooked separately outside of the bird.
That's an excellent basic stuffing recipe, and would be good even without the sausage.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I do a southern sage and cornbread dressing. The cakes of cornbread that are crumbled for the base contain egg.

I hate stuff made with bread cubes. Too gummy and gluey.
Years ago, Pepperidge Farm sandwich white and whole wheat didn't become gummy when used for stuffing. That's changed.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,297,132 times
I have never put eggs in stuffing. Many years ago, my signature stuffing included coarsely chopped roasted chestnuts, and everyone raved about it. Then I had a life changing experience a few years ago involving chestnuts and I can't bear the sight of them or the the thought of eating them, so no more nuts. Sometimes, if we skip the cranberry sauce, I'll throw in some dried cranberries.

We season with both sage and onion, and I use my own homemade chicken stock to bind. We bake it out of the bird, in a casserole dish, with no lid on.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 AM

50,038 posts, read 63,384,408 times
I guess it could make sense in a casserole of stuffing to bind it together.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,031,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess it could make sense in a casserole of stuffing to bind it together.
You make a good point. Putting eggs in the stuffing and cooking it inside the bird means it will be cooking for hours. Ever overcook scrambled eggs? At a certain point the water separates from the protein. I would think you would need to decrease the amount of liquid when adding eggs as they will separate and the extra moisture cannot fully evaporate as it can in a casserole which generally cooks in less than 1 hour. Inside the bird the collagen from the broth and what comes out of the bird itself is probably all the binder required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes