Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

I just got a Dutch Oven set for Christmas. Please share your favorite recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:57 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times
I use ours mostly for braised dishes like beef short ribs, stews like sauerbraten or gumbo, jambalaya and pot roasts. Usually started on the stove top and transferred to the oven, but sometimes done completely on the stove top. Our go to gumbo and jambalaya recipes are from Paul Prudomme (RIP), short ribs from Tyler Florence, sauerbraten from the Frug, Jeff Smith (since my Oma's recipe was lost when my brother's home was destroyed during hurricane Charlie) and pot roasts are our own creations, especially the Cuban style pork one.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Spaghetti sauce with and without meat, stew, soups, and no-knead bread.

If you want to make the bread, you may have to purchase a stainless steel replacement knob for the kid that can withstand high heat.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I use ours mostly for braised dishes like beef short ribs, stews like sauerbraten or gumbo, jambalaya and pot roasts. Usually started on the stove top and transferred to the oven, but sometimes done completely on the stove top. Our go to gumbo and jambalaya recipes are from Paul Prudomme (RIP), short ribs from Tyler Florence, sauerbraten from the Frug, Jeff Smith (since my Oma's recipe was lost when my brother's home was destroyed during hurricane Charlie) and pot roasts are our own creations, especially the Cuban style pork one.
TY...wow so sorry about your brother's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Spaghetti sauce with and without meat, stew, soups, and no-knead bread.

If you want to make the bread, you may have to purchase a stainless steel replacement knob for the kid that can withstand high heat.
Thanks...I can't wait to try that bread. I think it already has a stainless steel lid. This is mine"
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pk-dutch-oven-4-7-qt-cast-iron/prod21280180.ip?&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=73001030000 2048656&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_1013571811&wl0=&wl1=g& wl2=c&wl3=295607093748&wl4=aud-522882023199la-587614131037&wl5=1015134&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=pla&wl10=12 47713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=6197 4473920&wl17=1o2&veh=sem&kclid=432ac6be-cdf4-4fc1-a3b9-4ea98c5ce429&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6ozhBRC8ARIsAIh_VC3PW6e 8YB1siV2oDkbHlhma7OYRnj1U2WVbjnZMNUVHy_XvkXhxcJUaA kwnEALw_wcB

Old 12-26-2018, 09:12 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Yup, looks good! The bread is amazing, like bakery bread. The dough will be very wet and sticky, but you should end up with an impressive beautiful round crusty loaf.

I use the method from the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, which means you mix up enough dough for 4 loaves and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, but I use the Dutch oven to bake it in rather than their suggestion to “slide” it onto a baking stone - never worked for me, too sticky.
I bought a large square plastic container (4 or 5 qt I believe) at the restaurant supply store to make the dough in, cost me about $6.

Don’t forget to preheat the Dutch oven, you are making an oven inside your oven basically.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:

And you'll be posting that recipe?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yup, looks good! The bread is amazing, like bakery bread. The dough will be very wet and sticky, but you should end up with an impressive beautiful round crusty loaf.

I use the method from the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, which means you mix up enough dough for 4 loaves and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, but I use the Dutch oven to bake it in rather than their suggestion to “slide” it onto a baking stone - never worked for me, too sticky.
I bought a large square plastic container (4 or 5 qt I believe) at the restaurant supply store to make the dough in, cost me about $6.

Don’t forget to preheat the Dutch oven, you are making an oven inside your oven basically.

That's a good point I think more people should take advantage of. Restaurant supply stores are usually open to the public and are a great source of kitchen things, many which you won't see in 'civilian' stores and generally well priced for the quality.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And you'll be posting that recipe?
Don't have a recipe, just Kirby Mojo Criollo 1/2 and 1/2 with either pork stock or chicken stock for the braising liquid. I use boneless pork butt, trimmed of fat cap, seasoned generously with S&P, browned on all sides in the Dutch oven then removed, add some of the braising liquid to deglaze the pot. Return roast to pot and add more braising liquid to bring 3/4 way up the roast. Simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the roast, then start adding vegetables in order of cooking time required. I use carrots, whole fresh pearl onions or chipollini's and potatoes. You can sub yuca for the potatoes. We always have black beans, rice and pan Cubano to go with. You will have to skim the fat during cooking. I usually do it completely on the stove top.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Don't have a recipe, just Kirby Mojo Criollo 1/2 and 1/2 with either pork stock or chicken stock for the braising liquid. I use boneless pork butt, trimmed of fat cap, seasoned generously with S&P, browned on all sides in the Dutch oven then removed, add some of the braising liquid to deglaze the pot. Return roast to pot and add more braising liquid to bring 3/4 way up the roast. Simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the roast, then start adding vegetables in order of cooking time required. I use carrots, whole fresh pearl onions or chipollini's and potatoes. You can sub yuca for the potatoes. We always have black beans, rice and pan Cubano to go with. You will have to skim the fat during cooking. I usually do it completely on the stove top.

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find the Kirby Mojo Criollo locally. Interesting that when I searched I got a hit for PUBLIX online saying delivery is free for your first order. I may have to search their site and make my first order worthwhile.

Do you marinate it at all first or just go for it?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find the Kirby Mojo Criollo locally. Interesting that when I searched I got a hit for PUBLIX online saying delivery is free for your first order. I may have to search their site and make my first order worthwhile.

Do you marinate it at all first or just go for it?
Not the pot roast, but I do make a Cuban style pork roast on the BGE which I marinate over night in homemade sour orange mojo (I use fresh sour oranges, which are available locally year round). I wrap it in banana leaves which I get from the freezer section of a local Latino market.

If you can't find the Kirby, Badia is alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes