Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,702 times

Advertisements

I'd like to make a thick hearty Bolognese using my leftover Rib Roast.
On hand I have:

2 large cans of crushed tomato's
1 large can of whole peeled tomato's
1 large can of tomato sauce.
Yellow onion, fresh garlic, carrots and assorted dried spices. Basil, Oregano, Marjoram..

It doesn't need to be a book perfect recipe, I'm not going and buying red wine or anything else, this is it.

My old Boss at the Italian restaurant would do this every year with his leftovers.
I just never got to see him do it because sauce was one thing he did before anyone arrived to work for the day.

So basically, after all of that my real question is..

If I combine all of those above ingredients (I'll add the dried spices last)
Sweat the carrot, onion and garlic all that.. And simmer it for many hours over low heat, Will the already cooked meat break up and "shred" sort of into the sauce. I will remove the bones after simmering..

The slices are about 1/4 inch thick and I still have a pretty decent 3 inch unsliced chunk left and the bones..

Thank you foodies for any help or advice you can offer..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 PM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
It couldn’t be bad. My philosophy is, if everything that goes in is good, how could it be bad? I’d add a generous bit of olive oil, since the meat is lean.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
I would rough cut up the slices to help it along, they will break down but smaller pieces will be easier.

It will freeze well if you don't use it all. I like to keep small portion sizes of good sauce in the freezer for a quick meal.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:22 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
If that leftover prime rib is rare, why use it in a red sauce? Seems such a waste of prime rib. . .

Old 12-28-2018, 12:32 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If that leftover prime rib is rare, why use it in a red sauce? Seems such a waste of prime rib. . .
Yes. Slice it cold and make sandwiches with good bread. Use one of the horseradish sauces we described in another recent thread.

Also, when you make Bolognese—or anything else, for that matter—leave out the dried basil, which has no reason to live.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Yes. Slice it cold and make sandwiches with good bread. Use one of the horseradish sauces we described in another recent thread.

Also, when you make Bolognese—or anything else, for that matter—leave out the dried basil, which has no reason to live.
Neither one of us much cares for cold roast beef sandwiches or horseradish for that matter.

I just took the sauce off the stove after simmering since 6 am and I'm quite happy with it, dried basil and all..
It will make an excellent dinner and I have plenty left over to freeze..

Old 12-28-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It served it purpose on Christmas night.
One persons waste is another persons sauce

Old 12-28-2018, 12:07 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
That's some expensive meat to use in a recipe that is most suitable for cheap cuts. However, you've already got the roast and if that is how you want to use it, cut the roast into cubes before you add it to the tomato sauce. If you want the meat to fall apart, you just need to cook it for a long time.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
It served it purpose on Christmas night.
One persons waste is another persons sauce
Thanks for posting.

How did you cut up the roast before cooking?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Thanks for posting.

How did you cut up the roast before cooking?
I just diced it into decent sized chunks. The simmering and stirring did the rest..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes