Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:28 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times

Advertisements

ditto to old cold re adding water to pork chops.

I have trouble baking things, l have no problems with breakfast, lunch & dinner foods, but cakes never turn out the way I want them to, or cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We had the same problem for years until we discovered the magic of the sous vide technique. Now I pop them in a 139-degree bath for a couple of hours and then finish by browning all the fatty parts on the stove in a saucepan of oil or butter. They are moist and flavorful like the ones Mom used to make.

I used to fret about uneven layers. Then I saw a Martha Stewart segment where she was making a multilayer cake and one of the layers was lopsided. She said if this happens, simply even it up with the icing. From then on I figured if she gets uneven layers then I shouldn't be so hard on myself!
Good point.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
French macarons are always a challenge for me. Of course, they are one of the most finicky cookies to bake and so many things can easily go wrong. I’ve had a few batches turn out perfectly but I can never consistently nail them. My biggest problem is a slightly hollow shell but I know my meringue is correctly beaten to stiff peaks. I think it’s just the macronage that I need to work on.

However, they are my absolute favorite cookies in the world so I will keep practicing until I master them.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:05 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
May we have a video, please? Duck!

I have discovered the grill for thick chops. SO has gotten pretty good about getting them done just right. I feel your pain about meat loaf. Could it be household size versus restaurant?

I t might be seasoning, i was watching a cooking show one time and they made the point that if you saw a steak going under the broiler in a high end steakhouse you'd think it's been through a snow storm due to being very well salted, very possibly more than most would tend to use at home.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I found the following at the back of a J A Jance novel. Have made it several times and liked it, sauteeing the onion first and substituting panko for the oats and soaking it in the milk before combining.

2.15 lbs. Ground Chuck
1 Cup Oats
1/2 Cup Milk
1 4 1/2 oz. Can Chopped Green Chilis
1/2 Cup Minced Onion
2 Eggs Beaten
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Chili Powder
Combine all ingredients, bake in 350F oven for ~ 1 1/2 hours until it's 160 deg in the center.
So...I made this, and it was good. I put a chili/ketchup/brown sugar/vinegar coating on top of it before putting it in the oven. I used oats, because they're what I had. I will try the panko next time, or else bread. And I will use two cans of hot chiles. I thought they added such a nice flavor, I want more of it.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:08 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
So...I made this, and it was good. I put a chili/ketchup/brown sugar/vinegar coating on top of it before putting it in the oven. I used oats, because they're what I had. I will try the panko next time, or else bread. And I will use two cans of hot chiles. I thought they added such a nice flavor, I want more of it.

Thanks.

Exactly why I used panko!

Glad you liked it.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We had the same problem for years until we discovered the magic of the sous vide technique. Now I pop them in a 139-degree bath for a couple of hours and then finish by browning all the fatty parts on the stove in a saucepan of oil or butter. They are moist and flavorful like the ones Mom used to make.

Yes! We did the same thing and they were delicious!!

Old 03-04-2019, 04:39 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
I always have trouble with boneless chicken breast. I can cook them the same way, one time will come out fine, the next time rubbery. I stick to tenders now.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I always have trouble with boneless chicken breast. I can cook them the same way, one time will come out fine, the next time rubbery. I stick to tenders now.
It could be the chicken itself. We buy large packs of chicken thighs and breasts, portion and freeze. Every once in a while we'll get a batch that is tough no matter how we cook it.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:45 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I will try the piecrust suggestions. Have never been able to make one that doesn't fall apart.

For those who can't make pancakes: the first pancake is usually a flop. That one's for the cook.

After the first one, you'll know whether to add more milk or more flour. Stir the batter again (not too much, you want pancake batter to be lumpy) and then use a small measuring cup to scoop up batter and make pancakes. The pan should be about medium heat, have to get that exactly right or they will burn.

Let the pancakes cook until they get holes in the top. The holes are the signal that it's time to turn them over. Flip them and finish cooking. You can use the spatula to partially tip one up to see if it's done but never flip them over more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes