Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

I'm making sourdough starter. I have not followed the strict regimen, such as equal amount of flour and water, or 24 hours refeeding (dumping half...), etc.. I just add whatever amount of flour and water that make the mixture a good paste texture (I have actually more flour than water to reach that texture), and refeeding every day, but the time varies greatly, by hours, definitely not 24 hours. Now it's about 3-5 days (I don't even remember the exact date I started), and it's looking good.

I find that not being too worried about the accuracy is making this process much easier and convenient.

So my question is, is it OK to not follow the strict amount and timing of feeding? What's the consequence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I have used it for many years and only measured the initial preparation of the first starter. Close to equal parts is good enough, and feeding is not required every day. When I have no need to use it for 3 or more days, I’ll put it in the refrigerator, and not feed again until I use some. After 5 days it should be good to start using.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
I kind of guess too. But, I did the exact amounts when I first started the starter. Mine is now a few weeks old and very alive and sour.

Good luck to you

Old 01-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanks. Some of the tips I read say to start with whole wheat flour, why?

Old 01-22-2019, 05:27 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
I think whole wheat flour has more "natural" yeasts in it.

Re: getting your starter going, I do about the same as you describe for the care and feeding of my approx. 12 month old starter. It's tasty and it has a strong ability to raise up loaves I feed it every 7-10 days (after bringing it to room temperature) and I tend to use the "discard" in something, even pancakes if I'm not needing bread.. can't bring myself to throw it away.. Good luck, it's been fun for me, hope it is for you also.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I think whole wheat flour has more "natural" yeasts in it.

Re: getting your starter going, I do about the same as you describe for the care and feeding of my approx. 12 month old starter. It's tasty and it has a strong ability to raise up loaves I feed it every 7-10 days (after bringing it to room temperature) and I tend to use the "discard" in something, even pancakes if I'm not needing bread.. can't bring myself to throw it away.. Good luck, it's been fun for me, hope it is for you also.

Thanks. I, too, don't feel like discard any of the starter. I also haven't always discarded whenever I feed it. Sometimes I simply add some flour, without adding water or discard the old starter. Now it seems to be going. I put it into 3 bottles. They have doubled the size within few hours. Interesting to see the bubbles come and go.

Why is there no mold developing?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:44 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
I made up a new recipe today in order to use my extra starter. It came out pretty tasty, so I'd like to share it.

Sourdough Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 t baking powder, 1/2 t baking soda, 1/4 t salt, 1 t cinnamon. Whisk these dry ingredients together.
1 and 1/4 c sourdough starter, 1 c yogurt, 2 t vanilla extract. Whisk all these wet ingredients together (there is no egg in this recipe)

Then mix wet and dry together until just blended. Lastly, mix in 1 T apple cider vinegar. Put batter into greased muffin pan. (makes about 10 muffins) Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

They are very hearty and have a nice sourdough tang. Quick and easy way to use the discard.

Hope your starter is doing well, snowmountains. You should not be seeing mold, just small bubbles that increase the volume of your starter for several hours each time you feed it.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 01-27-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 03:09 PM

Thank you for sharing LilyMae.

I finally made a reasonably good sourdough bread. The problems I still have are: not enough big holes, and the outer layer is not brown enough, the bottom is very soft. I guess 450F is not high enough temperature?

The good thing about sourdough bread is, in future I don't need to by instant yeast any more.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I haven't done this in quite a while.

Thanks for the recipe, LilyMae. They sound delicious.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thank you for sharing LilyMae.

I finally made a reasonably good sourdough bread. The problems I still have are: not enough big holes, and the outer layer is not brown enough, the bottom is very soft. I guess 450F is not high enough temperature?

The good thing about sourdough bread is, in future I don't need to by instant yeast any more.
Try baking it on a pizza stone, or if you're using a cookie sheet, put it near the top of the oven, and it will brown more. You can also do an egg wash if you want it dark brown and shiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes