Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:47 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times

Advertisements

Like someone else above, I never used parchment paper until a couple of years ago when making some truffles. I now pull it out when roasting or oven "frying" certain things. It works very well. I've found it at Aldi's since it can be pricey at a regular grocery store.

I keep waxed paper around for various uses like those mentioned above. It's handy to cover a baking sheet when I'm freezing layers of vegetables or fruits to be packaged later in ziplocs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 10:11 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Like someone else above, I never used parchment paper until a couple of years ago when making some truffles. I now pull it out when roasting or oven "frying" certain things. It works very well. I've found it at Aldi's since it can be pricey at a regular grocery store.

I keep waxed paper around for various uses like those mentioned above. It's handy to cover a baking sheet when I'm freezing layers of vegetables or fruits to be packaged later in ziplocs.
YES! THIS!!!!

I also buy my Parchment Paper at Aldi because it's cheaper there.

I'd rep you but I have to spread it around again.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:58 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
Parchment is great when making En Papillote dishes. I use wax paper for grating cheese. It makes an excellent wrapper for any leftover cheese.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:33 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I use wax paper all the time. I use it to form and lay out sticky things during preparation like meatballs/patties, pastry or other doughs. I also use it to wrap portions for freezing. If you wrap individual chicken parts in wax paper you can put them together in a single freezer bag and they won't freeze together.

Now can these things be done with parchment paper as well? Yes, but wax paper is much cheaper, and wraps finer and holds shape when wrapping much better than the thicker parchment so I save the parchment for baking purposes.
I guess I could do that, but I use plastic wrap.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:53 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess I could do that, but I use plastic wrap.
Same here. I've never really used waxed paper for anything. The last time I moved, I threw out a roll that was probably 20+ years old.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:00 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
I like non-stick Reynold's Wrap foil best of all: Non-Stick Foil | Reynolds Kitchens

Old 03-29-2019, 08:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Really, can anyone think of a reason to buy wax paper anymore? I’d go with parchment. You could still wrap a sandwich in it if you wanted.

Nostalgia? The fond memories of going fishing with my Dad when lunch would be wax paper wrapped sandwiches my Mom packed for us.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:12 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I am a latecomer to the appreciation of parchment paper too but use it quite a bit now.

There is one thing I like waxed paper for - when I am stacking bars or cookies to bring somewhere it makes a good, easy-to-manage layer separator.

Yes, burdell, I remember those lunch sandwiches from Mom. The ends had to be placed underneath or the sandwich had the tendency to unwrap itself!

Wonder if anyone ever used rubber bands or tape to keep the sandwich shut. Hah. No wonder so many of our moms washed plastic bags.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I will never buy wax paper again. If you can' t find parchment paper in your store, it' s available from Amazon.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I am a latecomer to the appreciation of parchment paper too but use it quite a bit now.

There is one thing I like waxed paper for - when I am stacking bars or cookies to bring somewhere it makes a good, easy-to-manage layer separator.

Yes, burdell, I remember those lunch sandwiches from Mom. The ends had to be placed underneath or the sandwich had the tendency to unwrap itself!

Wonder if anyone ever used rubber bands or tape to keep the sandwich shut. Hah. No wonder so many of our moms washed plastic bags.
No plastic bands here but I made 120 little wax paper bags for oversized cookies for SO to take to a what I call play date. And yes, the layers in the cookie jar especially around Christmas.

Do you remember the baggie drying racks which were sold everywhere? Ziplock bags were a favorite present for friends and family in Europe:>)

Back to OP - instructions are on the side of the box. Wax melts. It will be a one time mistake. Whenever in doubt - place a scrap in a frying pan. It stinks - wax paper!

Silly me consolidated a year's supply for a move and wrapped everything onto one big roll. Please do not do that.

Dollar Tree occasionally has parchment paper. Personally I find it a bit flimsy and per square inch pricey compared to brand names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes