Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Take care not to overcook the shrimp and I'm sure it will be delicious!
Don't forget dessert! There are lots of lovely ready made options out there. Sara Lee cheesecake comes to mind.

Let us know how it all turns out and how he liked it!
Glad he was happy with your results, OP!

Thinking of the Sara Lee products reminded me of a birthday dessert I once got in a restaurant. It's very easy to replicate at home'

Slice cake once or twice lengthwise. Spread with lemon curd. Frost with whipped cream mixed with a little lemon curd and garnish with berries.

It's a nice, light and refreshing dessert for Spring or after a heavy meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Glad he was happy with your results, OP!

Thinking of the Sara Lee products reminded me of a birthday dessert I once got in a restaurant. It's very easy to replicate at home'

Slice cake once or twice lengthwise. Spread with lemon curd. Frost with whipped cream mixed with a little lemon curd and garnish with berries.

It's a nice, light and refreshing dessert for Spring or after a heavy meal.
I'm sorry, but this is the kind of advice that scares a newbie cook off!

Just for example, 25 years ago, when I bought my beautifully landscaped house, a friend came over, looked around and said "Wow, this is gorgeous, don't forget to mulch!". To which I had the following questions:

What is mulch?

Where do I get it?

When, where, how and how much do I put on?

Do you see what I mean?

When you describe your cake, I pretend I'm a newbie and I'd be overwhelmed. Here are the questions I would have.

What kind of cake?

Where do I get it?

What is Lemon Curd and where do I get it?

What does garnish with berries mean?

What kind of berries and how much do I use?

How do I make whipped cream and how much do I put on and where?

How do I cut the cake and where do I put the pieces and what do I do with all these crumbs?

What does this have to do with Sara Lee cheesecake?

Do you see what I mean? Don't scare her off with the kind of thing experienced cooks don't think twice about. Pretend you are an absolute newbie and proceed accordingly. When I was in my 20's, I thought Schilling spaghetti sauce flavoring packets were the height of sophistication and an iceberg lettuce wedge with French dressing was a really special touch. Forty-five years later, I have learned so much and know how to cook a meal that will impress anybody.

OP, be proud of yourself and build from here. It takes time and practice, but your heart is in the right place!

Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
The go-to easiest meal that generally impresses are a simple roast chicken...lots of tips with a simple web search, but seriously, it's beyond simply to roast a chicken...I tend to stuff the cavity with some peeled garlic cloves, a quartered lemon, a quartered onion, and a sprig of rosemary, season the chicken with a little butter, salt, pepper, and squeeze a lemon over it, and call it good.

Paired with simple mashed potatoes (or oven roasted, even eaiser), and pan juices, it's great and easy.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm sorry, but this is the kind of advice that scares a newbie cook off!

Just for example, 25 years ago, when I bought my beautifully landscaped house, a friend came over, looked around and said "Wow, this is gorgeous, don't forget to mulch!". To which I had the following questions:

What is mulch?

Where do I get it?

When, where, how and how much do I put on?

Do you see what I mean?

When you describe your cake, I pretend I'm a newbie and I'd be overwhelmed. Here are the questions I would have.

What kind of cake?

Where do I get it?

What is Lemon Curd and where do I get it?

What does garnish with berries mean?

What kind of berries and how much do I use?

How do I make whipped cream and how much do I put on and where?

How do I cut the cake and where do I put the pieces and what do I do with all these crumbs?

What does this have to do with Sara Lee cheesecake?

Do you see what I mean? Don't scare her off with the kind of thing experienced cooks don't think twice about. Pretend you are an absolute newbie and proceed accordingly. When I was in my 20's, I thought Schilling spaghetti sauce flavoring packets were the height of sophistication and an iceberg lettuce wedge with French dressing was a really special touch. Forty-five years later, I have learned so much and know how to cook a meal that will impress anybody.

OP, be proud of yourself and build from here. It takes time and practice, but your heart is in the right place!
Oops!

Eat the crumbs, sayulita, of course!

Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Get a box of Tuna Helper, Use fresh Shrimp rather then tuna
add a small can of mushrooms then sprinkle some Parmesan cheese
over the top just before serving.

Get a French bread roll, splash on some olive oil, garlic powder
cover with mozzarella cheese & toss into the oven until cheese melts.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Oops!

Eat the crumbs, sayulita, of course!
Absolutely! And try to figure out how to "glue" together the sliced off layer that broke apart!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:20 AM

Somehow in my haste to post I forgot to add the cake was a SaraLee pound cake found in most supermarket freezer sections. Cool Whip can be substituted for whipped cream if no one knows that. Or my recipient could look some of these things, like lemon curd, up on a computer. It's usually in the jams and jelly section.

I'd be afraid of insulting someone by telling them how to cut a pound cake. And truly, if a newcomer to cooking isn't able to resource some of these questions on her own I think her safety would be compromised by even attempting to use a kitchen. LOL

I will confess to not being able to give enough information one time I remember, though.

I was at the Farmer's Market picking up a cucumber order to make pickles. A middle-aged Hmong woman approached me and asked, "You make pickle?" I said that's what I was going to do.

"You show me?" she asked.

"Yes. What kind of pickle do you want to make, sweet or dill?

She answered, "Yes, sweet or dill."

I saw we were going to have a communication problem and feeling pressured to get those fresh cukes into their ice bath changed my mind about helping her.

Wish I'd had more time in those days. I think about it now and would love to help newcomers or beginners cook. In fact I've been entertaining thoughts about contacting community ed or just going solo - I help you learn how to bake a pie from scratch for a small fee and you get to take home the pie.

Good idea?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Somehow in my haste to post I forgot to add the cake was a SaraLee pound cake found in most supermarket freezer sections. Cool Whip can be substituted for whipped cream if no one knows that. Or my recipient could look some of these things, like lemon curd, up on a computer. It's usually in the jams and jelly section.

I'd be afraid of insulting someone by telling them how to cut a pound cake. And truly, if a newcomer to cooking isn't able to resource some of these questions on her own I think her safety would be compromised by even attempting to use a kitchen. LOL

I will confess to not being able to give enough information one time I remember, though.

I was at the Farmer's Market picking up a cucumber order to make pickles. A middle-aged Hmong woman approached me and asked, "You make pickle?" I said that's what I was going to do.

"You show me?" she asked.

"Yes. What kind of pickle do you want to make, sweet or dill?

She answered, "Yes, sweet or dill."

I saw we were going to have a communication problem and feeling pressured to get those fresh cukes into their ice bath changed my mind about helping her.

Wish I'd had more time in those days. I think about it now and would love to help newcomers or beginners cook. In fact I've been entertaining thoughts about contacting community ed or just going solo - I help you learn how to bake a pie from scratch for a small fee and you get to take home the pie.

Good idea?

That's a great idea! And agreed that it is far easier in this computer age to research something. In our day, we had to ask mom or (Arghhh) go to the library!

Thanks for clarifying the Sara Lee cake issue. Never intended to sound like I was scolding you! Sounds like you are more experienced and could teach me a thing or two!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Chicken fajitas. Chicken, onions, peppers (green, red, yellow) fajitas seasoning and flour tortillas. Very simple any great. Chicken is simpler rather than beef unless you make sure you get proper tender enough beef. And

Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Get a box of Tuna Helper, Use fresh Shrimp rather then tuna
add a small can of mushrooms then sprinkle some Parmesan cheese
over the top just before serving.

Sorry but, EEEK! Canned mushrooms?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes