Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

How do you get a nice crust/browning on your pork chops? Is that how they are suppose to look like?

I did some pork chops last night. I did not season it though. I brined it for about a day, so I did not think I need to season with salt or pepper anymore. I just pan fried in olive oil/butter. It turned white. Now pork is suppose to turn white when cooked, but when at restaurant, I notice they are "browner" on the outside.

Is high heat pertinent? Or do I need to cover in some flour/cornstarch?

Actually whenever I do order pork chops from restaurant, they never taste good (except from chinese restaurants). Always dry and tough on inside. I found that brining really helps with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Cast iron sear.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
High heat is pertinent. I don't think dredging in flour or cornstarch will help.
Perhaps the brining is making it more difficult to get a nice brown on your chops. I'm thinking they may be so full of moisture after the brining that no matter how hot you get the pan, they are mostly just going to boil.

Maybe if, after you take them out of the brine, you dry them off, oil them and then put them under a high broiler till brown, flip, brown and then bake -covered with foil- until cooked through.

These days, I've given up on getting a nice chop unless I stew them. Sometimes I stew them in browned onion, garlic and orange juice (mixed with water) Serve with rice. But I tend to stew them for a couple of hours so they are nice and tender. Otherwise, they are good for a game of Frisbee. :-)

Hope this helps.. My husband was apprenticed to a French chef in his youth and I checked with him before posting. And as he frequently reminds me, he should know. ;-)

Last edited by LilyMae521; 05-07-2019 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 06:07 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
2 ways, one is the breaded and fried method which I don't think you're talking about.

The second is a pan sear. The 2 most important aspects of this are very high heat and very dry protein (be that steak, pork, chicken, ham, etc...). The heat need not come from cast iron, I do mine in stainless all the time (though absolutely avoid teflon/coated pans). A couple tricks for cooking this way, let the protein come to room temp for about an hour before cooking ~ this helps the inside come to temp without completely obliterating the outside. And once you put it in the pan, don't mess with it. That browning happens while the protein is stationary. It'll also probably stick at first, don't worry it Will release when it's ready to turn (so you can nudge it slightly from time to time).

Good luck

Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This is what I do, and they come out browned and tender...

I only buy 1” thick, bone in chops, with a good layer of fat on the outside. I think the bone and fat are essential for good results and flavor.

I coat both sides with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder, and place them in a ceramic casserole dish, side by side.

Bake at 400, and turn once during baking....45 to 60 minutes. The chops will release a lot of moisture at first, but it will cook off and then they will brown nicely, and there will be some nice fond in the baking dish. Add a small amount of water to this (1-2T), stir in the brown bits and pour over chops.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
All it takes is a thin layer of oil, high(er) heat and do not overturn . In fact, turn just once when you have the desired level of sear. I just did some nice loin chops the other day like this. A cast iron pan would make it all a bit easier but it's not required. I would not use a non-stick for this, they are not supposed to be used with high heat.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Do a dry brine. Sear in a hot pan or broil in oven.

I coat raw chops with oil and rub a mix of coarse salt, raw sugar, and pepper and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for at least one hour, but preferably for three or more. Then I hand them to DH, who grills them on the grill. But for years, I broiled them and they always turned out delicious and browned.

I’ve moved to dry brining chops, steaks, and whole chickens and turkeys. You get so much flavor for so little effort.

I use twice as much sugar as salt, add peppercorns and grind in small grinder. I use a different rub for poultry.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
High heat is pertinent. I don't think dredging in flour or cornstarch will help.
Perhaps the brining is making it more difficult to get a nice brown on your chops. I'm thinking they may be so full of moisture after the brining that no matter how hot you get the pan, they are mostly just going to boil.

Maybe if, after you take them out of the brine, you dry them off, oil them and then put them under a high broiler till brown, flip, brown and then bake -covered with foil- until cooked through.

These days, I've given up on getting a nice chop unless I stew them. Sometimes I stew them in browned onion, garlic and orange juice (mixed with water) Serve with rice. But I tend to stew them for a couple of hours so they are nice and tender. Otherwise, they are good for a game of Frisbee. :-)

Hope this helps.. My husband was apprenticed to a French chef in his youth and I checked with him before posting. And as he frequently reminds me, he should know. ;-)
The acid OJ makes a lot of sense , I had a recipe years ago something along this line , I’m sure it called for vinegar also , can’t remember , but your recipe has come close to it .

Old 05-07-2019, 08:36 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Good pork chops are hard to find. I only buy the non-saline-injected chops and try to get ones that have a decent amount of fat, and not just on the edges. I agree with the poster who said that bone-in is better; the meat has more flavor and tends to be more tender.

If you can buy Mangalica pork, that is the tastiest, fattiest kind.

Let all meats sit a while at room temperature after taking them out of the fridge. I let them sit about 15-20 minutes, but we keep our house cooler than most Americans do.

Rolling the meat with a light coating of cornstarch works well for me. Also, contrary to the usual advice, I put the cooking oil in a pan right at the start of heating, turn it up only to medium or even medium-low, and then put the chops in. The idea is to let the meat cook without causing it to shrink upon contacting high heat. After a few minutes (depending on thickness), I get the brown surface by briefly cooking on high. Briefly. Then remove to a platter and let sit for a couple of minutes before eating it.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
A couple tricks for cooking this way, let the protein come to room temp for about an hour before cooking ~ this helps the inside come to temp without completely obliterating the outside. And once you put it in the pan, don't mess with it. That browning happens while the protein is stationary. It'll also probably stick at first, don't worry it Will release when it's ready to turn (so you can nudge it slightly from time to time).

Good luck
These points are key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes