Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times

Advertisements

Mine was 'chipped beef'. It just had no attractive taste to it and there was nothing I could add or do to it to make it better. Nothing that I know of that is. I tore up and threw away the recipe so I can't note it now. I hate to throw away food so I tried it as a chip dip and that didn't do it either so I threw it away. It wasn't my first disaster and I am sure it won't be my last because that's the way things go when a person is partly experimenting with recipes. Anyway, no guilt here since I am sure we have all had disasters in the past.

In one recipe not long ago I put in way too much turmeric and it ruined it. I have found with spices and add on stuff that the least is the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I don't have very many disasters. My only issue is under or over seasoning with certain dishes because I like certain foods with more of a certain flavor than my husband does.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I tried making hermits (a type of soft cookie) from an online recipe. Lordy, that dough could be used as flypaper or to trap mice. It stuck to everything near it and even the finished cookies got tossed out.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Easter dinner. Chef Daughter was laughing so hard she nearly blew a gasket.

Everyone was seated, the food was all on the table and the last minute task was to bring the Hollandaise for the asparagus to the table piping hot. I must have forgotten that I already had melted the butter and punched up the microwave for thirty seconds.

Boom! My butter exploded totally emptying the cup, leaving the microwave a mess and scaring everyone in the house including the cat.

Daughter rushed in to help and we wiped out as much as we could to reheat more butter. The egg yolks, lemon juice and seasonings awaited in the blender.

All went well with the second stick of butter other than hearing the spilt butter sizzling away all over the inside surface of the microwave. I poured it in a steady stream into the blender and watched a lovely sauce develop.

When I lifted it to pour into the pitcher the glass top came up but not the bottom which had not been screwed on. Beautiful Hollandaise sauce ran all over the counter, into the sink and onto my new clothes.

Daughter scraped what little she could catch into a sauce dish and the spoiled "baby of the family" was the only one who got a taste.

Smarty-pants Chef Daughter was beside herself in a snot-producing laugh session. (Of course she had offered to make the sauce by hand.) Next time I'll accept her offer. I'm getting too old to do this stuff. LOL

Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Easter dinner. Chef Daughter was laughing so hard she nearly blew a gasket.

Everyone was seated, the food was all on the table and the last minute task was to bring the Hollandaise for the asparagus to the table piping hot. I must have forgotten that I already had melted the butter and punched up the microwave for thirty seconds.

Boom! My butter exploded totally emptying the cup, leaving the microwave a mess and scaring everyone in the house including the cat.

Daughter rushed in to help and we wiped out as much as we could to reheat more butter. The egg yolks, lemon juice and seasonings awaited in the blender.

All went well with the second stick of butter other than hearing the spilt butter sizzling away all over the inside surface of the microwave. I poured it in a steady stream into the blender and watched a lovely sauce develop.

When I lifted it to pour into the pitcher the glass top came up but not the bottom which had not been screwed on. Beautiful Hollandaise sauce ran all over the counter, into the sink and onto my new clothes.

Daughter scraped what little she could catch into a sauce dish and the spoiled "baby of the family" was the only one who got a taste.

Smarty-pants Chef Daughter was beside herself in a snot-producing laugh session. (Of course she had offered to make the sauce by hand.) Next time I'll accept her offer. I'm getting too old to do this stuff. LOL

Too funny, Lodestar!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Thought I'd be freewheeling and added some things to manicotti filling....Harissa, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil.

For some reason it was terrible! I thought it sounded tasty but yuk....I just ate around the filling...

Old 05-10-2019, 12:43 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thought I'd be freewheeling and added some things to manicotti filling....Harissa, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil.

For some reason it was terrible! I thought it sounded tasty but yuk....I just ate around the filling...

It probably would have been fine without the harissa.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It probably would have been fine without the harissa.
Yes, I think so too....

Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
This was a colossal disaster albeit years ago. We were living in base housing at the time and our best man lived in the same complex about a 1/4 mile away.
Thanksgiving dinner: put the Turkey in the oven and dressing. Sitting at the breakfast bar about 25 minutes into it, I notice that through the glass window I had a flame on the electric element. I immediately shut the oven down, knowing that flames in electric ovens was not a standard feature. It was too early to wake the best man who was single up, so I put the broiler on to broil the dressing and I waited. I was worried that the eggs in the dressing once warmed, would go bad waiting for him to get up so I put it on low. I finally called him waking him up, put the food in the car and drove to his house only to find out that his oven didn't work at all! He was a bachelor at the time and never cooked, he ate with friends to at the officers club. Total Disaster.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:08 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
I just had another disaster. I was making yellow rice and put in one tablespoon of turmeric when it called for one teaspoon. Big difference. It ruined the pot of rice. That same thing happened about 6 months ago with turmeric. I was making making chicken rice soup and thinking that turmeric was only for coloring purposes and didn't have any taste to it I dumped a whole bunch of the turmeric in the soup pot. Of course it ruined it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes