Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 11:38 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

When I make General Tsao's chicken, I always double or tripled the sauce recipe, to ensure we have a generous amount of sauce.

Last night I used the leftover to grill pork chops. Nice loin chops cut from a whole loin roast. Grill until almost done and then brush with the General Tsao's sauce and finish cooking, Very tasty.

General Tsao's sauce, as written:

2T vegetable oil
3 T chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced
6 dried whole red chilies
1 strip orange zest

1/2 C white sugar
1/4 t ground ginger
3 T chicken broth
1 T rice vinegar
1/4 C soy sauce
2 t sesame oil
2 t peanut oil

2 t cornstarch
1/4 C cold water

1. heat 2 T oil and saute the onion, chilies, and orange zest.

2. Add sugar, ginger, broth, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut oil

3. bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes

4. dissolve cornstarch into cold water and stir into boiling sauce. cook until thickened.

Cooks notes: I don't add the green onion until the end. I like it fresh

I use Korean pepper paste, Rooster sauce, or cayenne instead of the dried red chilies. A sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes look good in the sauce.

I use fresh ginger root instead of ginger powder and saute it with the chilies.

I've used tangerine instead of orange and that is excellent. I've also added a squeeze of tangerine juice to the sauce and that was a success.

I use white vinegar instead if rice vinegar which I don't normally keep on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes