Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 PM

1,752 posts, read 754,475 times

Advertisements

So I went to my friend's house...she has a real kitchen...and we baked apple pies...in an apple pie bake off!

My pie....

Apple Crumble Pie

My alterations to the recipe in the link...

(1) I used 90% Honeycrisp apples and 10% Golden Delicious both sliced thin not blocks. (Northern Spy apples work well too, but didn't have any at the grocery store when her dad took us shopping for the ingredients)

(2) I added 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the pastry crust. (up from zero!)

(3) Served with Breyers' Natural Vanilla Ice Cream!

People who preferred the taste of my pie: Her dad, both of her brothers, my brother (I know where he sleeps he had to vote for mine, jk I am a pacifist) and of course me! 5 votes for mine!

My buddies' pie....

Apple Caramel Pecan Pie

Her alterations to the recipe in the link...

(1) 3/4ths-ish cup pecans (down from 1 cup)

(2) bit more than half cup of brown sugar (up from 1/2 cup)

(3) Did use Granny Smith Apples FYI.

(4) 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (up from 1)

(5) Served with Reddi Whip Cream!

P.S. She once a couple of months ago tried to make this pie half pecan and half not with a tin barrier down the middle....it did NOT work...avoid!!!!

People who preferred the taste of her pie: her mom, her sister, her boyfriend, her boyfriend's friend, both of her elderly neighbor couples, our buddy, and of course her. 8 votes for her!

....I got creamed 8 to 5....not surprised....she kicks butt!

What are your favorite apple pie recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
They both sound delicious and how lucky you are to have a friend who likes to bake with you! How much fun is that?

My apple pie is the basic Better Homes and Garden one from their 1960's cook book. I never vary it. The trick is in getting the best apples and in a carefully handled lard/butter crust.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:13 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Forgot to say I like a sweet/tart apple in my pies. Honeycrisp are good.

I used to love the Granny Smiths but they don't seem as good as they used to be. Maybe it's my imagination but I remember them as less bitter.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:19 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I don't like apple pie never have , never will . I don't eat apples either .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes