Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

When cooking pork medallions, what size/shape and dimensions to you first cut the pieces into?

I have having cooking pork medallions. I cannot cook the inside properly without causing the outside to dry up from over cooking. I usually cut them into decent size chunks 1-1.5 inches high and wide. I try and watch as the meat changes color on outside, and then flip it. But just right when the inside is a perfect pinkish, the outer layers are dry.

Should I cut them thinner before places on the pan? Will a quick initial sear on both sides be just enough? Or do I need to use lower heat? Or is it just the shape and size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You are cutting up the tenderloin? Low heat, put some butter into the pan, don't over cook.

Don't try to get a nice crust on the outside. You can't do that without drying out the meat.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:51 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If you like nice caramelized pork, (and who doesn't?), use pork shoulder, low heat, cover, don't turn them until the meat caramelizes, then turn and finish cooking through. Don't try to caramelize both sides.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are cutting up the tenderloin? Low heat, put some butter into the pan, don't over cook.

Don't try to get a nice crust on the outside. You can't do that without drying out the meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you like nice caramelized pork, (and who doesn't?), use pork shoulder, low heat, cover, don't turn them until the meat caramelizes, then turn and finish cooking through. Don't try to caramelize both sides.
So Pork should be cooked on low heat? And I am talking about the pan not the oven.

Yes, I cut up the tenderloin. I justing following recipes online, and they all call for tenderloin to be cut into big chunks, or some kind of pork cut into big chunks.

Now I buy the pork from the supermarket. Sometimes I buy the prepackaged/marinated Hormel pork loin, and sometimes I grab the store wrapped Pork Roast, or Pork Loin, and they are big pieces of meat. I really dont know what part of the animal it comes from though. I could be shoulder perhaps.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Also what about the pan I am using? The last time, I used a copper pan. It is suppose to be none stick, but yeh, thats not true.

Also, on the bottom there is this circle they said will distribute heat better, but all it has done is pop up. So now there is like a circular plateau in the middle of the pan. When I put oil in, it all runs off to the side. And I am using a square pan.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 PM

802 posts, read 642,576 times
I cut them into about 1.5 inch medallions, pound out to about 3 inch diameter, shake in seasoned flour, fry in a preheated cast iron skillet for about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a plate, make my sauce, add the medallions back into the pan right before serving.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
I cut them into about 1.5 inch medallions, pound out to about 3 inch diameter, shake in seasoned flour, fry in a preheated cast iron skillet for about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a plate, make my sauce, add the medallions back into the pan right before serving.
using high heat?

Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So Pork should be cooked on low heat? And I am talking about the pan not the oven.

Yes, I cut up the tenderloin. I justing following recipes online, and they all call for tenderloin to be cut into big chunks, or some kind of pork cut into big chunks.

Now I buy the pork from the supermarket. Sometimes I buy the prepackaged/marinated Hormel pork loin, and sometimes I grab the store wrapped Pork Roast, or Pork Loin, and they are big pieces of meat. I really dont know what part of the animal it comes from though. I could be shoulder perhaps.
pork medallions do come from the pork tenderloin....

there's only one muscle for pork tenderloin...same as beef..

tenderloin runs along the inside of the backbone along the shortloin (think porterhouse or t bone steak- the tenderloin is on one side of that bone (and the sirloin strip is on the other side)

pork butt comes from the pork shoulder...and its well marbled pork medallions do not should not come from a pork butt..

the boneless pork loin....which many confuse or call the tenderloin......it is not it is 7-9 lbs..and is essentially the pork back straps along the backbone... you get boneless pork chops from this

pork medallions are usually sliced 1/2 inch and pan seared.... although lean...this should be tender because its tenderloin..

many times you can find these for 2.49-2.99lb on sale
and pigs are graded too ...so if you see well marbled pork....and its marked prime...then this should be very good..
I sell a chairmans prime pork ...which is awesome...

if you see pork stir fry..pork tips...pork stew …… pork kabobs.. these can come from many parts of the pig..
but same as beef fat is flavor don't be afraid of it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes