Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times

Advertisements

I found that if you just follow a recipe I often times would end up with near food. Not exactly what I was aiming for, but close. So I had many duty meals -since I put the time in cooking the glop- I felt I had eat it. Anyways, poor me, you get it. So I substituted trial and error to modify the recipes.

The ingredients. Actually just clean your fridge and panty out, and shabam! you made soup. So I use cabbage, carrots, potatoes, raw onions, celery, whatever.

A secret is to use actual veggies. So not instant potatoes, but potatoes. Why? You ask. There is loads of water in veggies so if you put just an inch of water into the pot, heat it with the veggies, you will find when you lift the soup pot lid, veggie water up to near the top. Veggie flavor is there (Yoda would say).

On to the proteins.

If you are making bean soup with ham, there is a "15 types of beans with seasoning packet" bean product available everywhere which is good or you can just use one kind of bean. These are dry beans. So pour water on them and set aside overnight to hydrate. Next day pour into a colander and run under water to wash debris away.

Bean soup secret. Put the beans, with seasonings (could be onions, salt, pepper), and ham bone or cubed ham into a skillet and cook until it smells good, then into the soup pot.

I prefer to cook the soup at a low temperature for hours and at the end of this process, season the soup to taste. Remember the ham is salty already. Freeze what you do not eat.

Cabbage soup secret. Actually there isn't any. The cabbage cooks as a veggie. I have just put the ham into the soup pot in one go instead of precooking it in a skillet. There is a lot of water in the cabbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:17 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
"Near food" is a concept I can user on a daily basis!

I have never even thought of using instant potatoes in soup. That is shudderific.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,971 times
Sounds like a good recipe, OP. (except for the "clean your panty out" part.. lol I know you meant pantry..)

And I like the "near food" concept also.. Been there and done that. Never waste food

Celery seed adds good flavor to cabbage soup, imho.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I can't do that with beans for soup, because I have always use dried.

Welcome to the world of soup! I made my first batch in the 1970s, and it's still my favorite thing to cook. I can never just let it simmer; I have to keep tasting and adding things to it. It's not done until it's on the table. Maybe not then, either.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
All my soups start with a large base of fried onion, carrots & celery & add a bay leaf. If I do not have a ham bone, I use ham base ( a ham bouillon paste in a jar), "better than bouillon" makes one. I always use whatever needs to be used up in the fridge, & any kind of fresh raw veg will work well in a soup. I do cook my beans from scratch too.
If I am making a chicken based soup, I will throw in the leg quarter to cook with the soup, instead of chicken broth, this way you get the real chicken broth. Then I take it out, remove the skin, chop up the chicken & return to pot.
We love home made soups, but do not really make them this time of year, it is too hot. Maybe I need to make a chilled soup soon

Old 07-11-2019, 01:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
I make soup from dried beans often. It is one of those "crock pot meals" that cooks while I do other things.

I recommend that you experiment with "smaller batches" to try variations in your recipes until you get closer to what you think is a winning recipe - there is no substitute for ITERATIONS to make better technique and outcome. I recommend Youtube videos for inspiration, or browsing cookbooks with pictures at Barnes n Noble.

Try different meat proteins: beef neck bones, chicken breast, strips of bacon, cut up sausage. Or go the other direction - go totally vegan and challenge yourself to make something delicious without a scrap of animals - and then give up and put a dollop of sour creme on it.

You can... make something perfectly delicious for about $7.97 in ingredients that feeds you for days.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Necessary but not sufficient for great bean soup:

Degas the beans before cooking them. Soak them in cold water for hours, and change the water at least once during the soak period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes