U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 10:33 AM

1,493 posts, read 563,520 times

Advertisements

There is a recipe that seems very good and low-cal (I think) for riced cauliflower pudding. It asks for coconut cream, but I'm wondering if there is a substitute for it. Here are the ingredients:

2 cups riced cauliflower (about 1/2 medium head)
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 packets stevia, or a few drops of liquid stevia

So I'm just wondering if something else might substitute for the coconut cream.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 11:16 AM

66,922 posts, read 5,191,711 times
You could use Greek yogurt, but will miss the coconut flavor. Sometimes, if you have an old can of coconut milk, cream will have formed, & sits in the can & you can use that.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You could use Greek yogurt, but will miss the coconut flavor. Sometimes, if you have an old can of coconut milk, cream will have formed, & sits in the can & you can use that.
Thank you. Do you think the consistency of coconut cream is like that of Greek yogurt? It's a matter of calorie count, so I'll check to see if there is a difference. The coconut flavor is not essential as far as I'm concerned. But, since there is such a large difference of calories between rice and riced cauliflower, I'm inclined to try the recipe, but wondered about the coconut cream.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:31 AM

OK, I checked. And there are about 141 calories per cup in non-fat Greek yogurt. And 240 per cup in the coconut cream. So I'll try the Greek yogurt and add some flavoring, maybe vanilla. :-) Thanks again. (Then I can eat the whole batch of riced cauliflower pudding if I'm that hungry!!)

Old 08-25-2019, 11:43 AM

16,753 posts, read 21,722,364 times
I use coconut milk and coconut cream quite often when I make Thai food. The only substitute for coconut cream is full fat coconut milk. If you need to, you can thicken the milk to a creamy consistency using corn starch, potato starch, rice powder or some starchy pasta water.

Note also that full fat coconut milk has about 1 inch of coconut cream on the top, which you can skim off. That is why you should shake the can unless you want to skim off the cream.

I cannot imagine using Greek yogurt instead of coconut anything. ENTIRELY different flavor.

Sometimes, changing up ingredients to reduce calories produces results that are so bad that I wouldn't waste calories eating it. I'd. rather have a smaller amount of the real thing. Example: Halo ice cream versus Hagendaz.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-25-2019 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-25-2019, 11:51 AM

How did the pudding run out? I have a bag of riced cauliflower in the freezer, this might work

Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
How did the pudding run out? I have a bag of riced cauliflower in the freezer, this might work
I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know when I do. Here's a link to the recipe: https://www.cheaprecipeblog.com/2015...-rice-pudding/
If you try it first, let me know.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the link. I will probably make it this week, once I get a tub of yogurt, I will go with full fat yogurt.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I will probably make it this week, once I get a tub of yogurt, I will go with full fat yogurt.
You're welcome. I'm glad you're reminding me, I hope I make it today, I've been looking for recipes for banana/oatmeal/peanut butter cookies. I made it before and they were pretty good. So I think I found the recipe again, but I'll make those after the cauliflower pudding recipe. The reason is because I've been trying to lose weight, and the other night for some reason, I had a break-out and ate cookies in the house until I did not want to eat any more. So now I'm looking for something that will fill me but is not so many calories. Yesterday I had a better day, did not overeat. :-)

Old 08-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I use coconut milk and coconut cream quite often when I make Thai food. The only substitute for coconut cream is full fat coconut milk. If you need to, you can thicken the milk to a creamy consistency using corn starch, potato starch, rice powder or some starchy pasta water.

Note also that full fat coconut milk has about 1 inch of coconut cream on the top, which you can skim off. That is why you should shake the can unless you want to skim off the cream.

I cannot imagine using Greek yogurt instead of coconut anything. ENTIRELY different flavor.

Sometimes, changing up ingredients to reduce calories produces results that are so bad that I wouldn't waste calories eating it. I'd. rather have a smaller amount of the real thing. Example: Halo ice cream versus Hagendaz.

I would agree that the flavor is not the same, but I think the viscosity ( of yogurt) would work well in the pudding. Plus adding flavors to the pudding, means the coconut cream is not really for flavor, just for a creamy texture (IMO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes