Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:29 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times

Advertisements

Accurate measuring is critical when it comes to any sort of baking. I remember being told to "measure exactly as a chemist" when it comes to baking. As others have said, weight is a better way to measure than volume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 01:53 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
That's a pretty cake, but a very plain recipe. Why not look for a recipe with "moist" in the title? Or fresh fruit in the batter?
yes...i should keep looking until I am happy with one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Try a chiffon cake recipe, they are airy but moist. Similarly, try a recipe for Japanese jelly roll cake, their sponge is so soft.

An alternative is imbibing the cake - I learned this from Julia Child. You soak the layers of your cake with something like apricot jam thinned with Grand Marnier. Delicious and super moist.

For the moistest cake experience - tres leches.
the kids like frosting...I am not sure if the delicate versions will be suitable for this. I could try though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
things that thru investigating affected the batter and final results:

: Flour- how its stored and the age of its freshness.
:calibrating the oven. Who knew that despite the knob stating its set to 350 degrees it was technically at 317 degrees.
:Age of the eggs. Fresher the better.
: placement of pan in oven- Mid section - having other items as well in the oven at time of baking.
: type of pan used.

and yes anytime you are in the mist of a earthquake or typhoon. Leave the cake - take the cannolis! (sorry just some Godfather humor )
lol....noted
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
From the recipe you are using, there is not enough fat in the cake. --And don't use margarine. The most moist cakes usually contain vegetable oil, which is even better than butter at making a moist cake.
thank you, i will try with the oil again and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Dry cake is over-baking or not enough fat in the recipe.

You don't like that recipe, keep trying recipes until you find one you like.

Your cake looks spectacular, by the way.
its probably the fat because its only for 30 mins...

Old 09-05-2019, 08:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Is your butter at room temp? Room temp is when you leave a dent when pressing gently on the butter. Too cold or too warm means the butter and sugar won’t get light and fluffy when creamed together.

It’s also possible the recipe you’re using is meant to yield a dryer crumb. Maybe try one with sour cream or buttermilk in the batter. In my experience, those result in moister cake.
My least dry and crumbly cake uses a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt, beaten with two eggs, in the batter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes