Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,694 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite dishes. I'm going to make a Oaxacan Mole Negro recipe, this coming weekend, I found in a Chile Pepper magazine. There are 27 ingredients:

1 Whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I'll be using chicken thighs)
6 Cups chicken stock/broth
5 Ancho Chilis, seeds removed and reserved
5 Guajillo chilis, seeds removed and reserved
4 Pasilla chilis, seeds removed and reserved
4 Mulatto chilis, seeds removed and reserved
2 Chipotle (dried) chilis, seeds removed and reserved
1 Medium white onion, peeled and quartered
6 Garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp almonds
2 Tbsp peanuts
2-4 Tbsp lard
2 tsp raisins
1 slice bread, preferably Challah or egg bread preferably
1 small ripe plantain or banana
1/2 Cup sesame seeds
2 Pecan halves
1 inch cinnamon stick, Mexican preferred
2 Pepper corns
2 Cloves
2 Medium tomatoes, chopped
5 Fresh tomatillos, chopped
1/2 tsp Dried oregano, Mexican preferred
1/2 tsp dried thyme
! Avocado leaf or bay leaf
1 Bar Mexican chocolate (Ibarra preferred) or to taste
Salt to taste

We had to order the mulato chilis, but have the rest. I'll also be making tortillas using blue masa. Mexican red or green rice for a side. This is the second time I'll have made mole negro. My wife didn't like the first recipe I made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
You're a lot more ambitious than I am! Good luck!

Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
It looks wonderful, but I can't deal with that many ingredients. I would cheat & use a jar of mole lol maybe add some extra peppers

Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Yikes! That's a really long, complicated recipe to commit to, considering your wife may dislike it as much as your first attempt. I love mole, but it's one thing I only get at restaurants and don't try to make.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Not Mexican, but the dish of that ilk we've had the most luck with at home are pupusas. Mainly bean and cheese.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:57 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Yeah,
I'd do the mole sauce in the glass...
Then save that glass to drink out of it!
Just too much work for me.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:49 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Seriously people? You'd rather some bland, tasteless, neutered sauce from a jar than putting something together from scratch yourself? Well, I guess it takes all kinds, but the OP's recipe is quite a long way from my idea of "too much work". Heck, I have the majority of those ingredients on hand currently, but I like chilies and the many varieties of mexican food.

OP, not sure I really have a Favorite, too many years curating my recipe collection means that all of them are "favorites" with new things either making the grade or not. I think the newest to be added was a Chicken, green chili (Anaheim), and cornmeal dumpling..er, chili. It gets some added punch from dried/powdered green chilies, both heat and flavor.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:27 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Seriously people? You'd rather some bland, tasteless, neutered sauce from a jar than putting something together from scratch yourself? Well, I guess it takes all kinds, but the OP's recipe is quite a long way from my idea of "too much work". Heck, I have the majority of those ingredients on hand currently, but I like chilies and the many varieties of mexican food.

OP, not sure I really have a Favorite, too many years curating my recipe collection means that all of them are "favorites" with new things either making the grade or not. I think the newest to be added was a Chicken, green chili (Anaheim), and cornmeal dumpling..er, chili. It gets some added punch from dried/powdered green chilies, both heat and flavor.
I like Cochinita Pibil done in banana leaves, cooked on my BGE. Have you ever made Xni Pec salsa (shnee peck)?

Old 08-22-2019, 06:11 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
What are your favorite dishes. I'm going to make a Oaxacan Mole Negro recipe, this coming weekend, I found in a Chile Pepper magazine. There are 27 ingredients:

1 Whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I'll be using chicken thighs)
6 Cups chicken stock/broth
5 Ancho Chilis, seeds removed and reserved
5 Guajillo chilis, seeds removed and reserved
4 Pasilla chilis, seeds removed and reserved
4 Mulatto chilis, seeds removed and reserved
2 Chipotle (dried) chilis, seeds removed and reserved
1 Medium white onion, peeled and quartered
6 Garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp almonds
2 Tbsp peanuts
2-4 Tbsp lard
2 tsp raisins
1 slice bread, preferably Challah or egg bread preferably
1 small ripe plantain or banana
1/2 Cup sesame seeds
2 Pecan halves
1 inch cinnamon stick, Mexican preferred
2 Pepper corns
2 Cloves
2 Medium tomatoes, chopped
5 Fresh tomatillos, chopped
1/2 tsp Dried oregano, Mexican preferred
1/2 tsp dried thyme
! Avocado leaf or bay leaf
1 Bar Mexican chocolate (Ibarra preferred) or to taste
Salt to taste

We had to order the mulato chilis, but have the rest. I'll also be making tortillas using blue masa. Mexican red or green rice for a side. This is the second time I'll have made mole negro. My wife didn't like the first recipe I made.
The cost factor alone in buying about 25 ingredients makes it a no go for me but I love Mole. I'm sure it will be delicious.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:24 AM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
I love to cook and have attempted many complex dishes including mole. It's a labor of love for sure. However, I'm lucky enough to have 2 great family owned Mexican restaurants in my neighborhood and I'd much rather go out to eat mole than cook it. I make a few simple Mexican meals at home, but all in all I'd much rather eat Mexican in a restaurant than at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes