Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times

Advertisements

I like adding thin pork chops to scalloped potatoes, don't see why seasoned ground beef wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 04:46 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You’re right on about moisture. I’m trying to figure out what held this thing together since I don’t recall cheese or a gravy-like consistency. I recall perfectly tender and moist potatoes with a sort of crisped layer on top, and well-seasoned beef. I think there must have definitely been some broth involved.

I’ll have to start making small trial versions of this as soon as it stops being 100 freaking degrees out.

Do you think the onion would be browned with the beef or put in as a layer of raw slices?

Mom doesn’t even remember making this dish, so she’s no help at all.
I’d layer thinly sliced onion with the potatoes. You could try making the “sauce” with butter, flour, half broth and half milk and see how close you get.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:45 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
we call it 'skillet dinner':

brown 1 lb 80/20 ground beef (ground chuck) in a cast iron skillet. You can season with just S&P or season salt as you prefer.
Push browned meat to sides (leave ALL the pan drippings -- they will be absorbed by potatoes), add sliced russet potatoes (I use one large or 2 small ones) and coarsely chopped onion (about a half of a sweet onion) and cover them with the beef.
Place lid over it and leave on medium-low heat until potatoes are fork tender. About a half hour.
I usually top it with shredded cheddar just before serving.
I like mine with lots of ketchup.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:17 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
https://thehowtoguru.org/homemade-hamburger-helper/

Found this one.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
we call it 'skillet dinner':

brown 1 lb 80/20 ground beef (ground chuck) in a cast iron skillet. You can season with just S&P or season salt as you prefer.
Push browned meat to sides (leave ALL the pan drippings -- they will be absorbed by potatoes), add sliced russet potatoes (I use one large or 2 small ones) and coarsely chopped onion (about a half of a sweet onion) and cover them with the beef.
Place lid over it and leave on medium-low heat until potatoes are fork tender. About a half hour.
I usually top it with shredded cheddar just before serving.
I like mine with lots of ketchup.
Ok I'm making this today!!!
Thx grampa

Old 09-08-2019, 10:06 AM

https://youtu.be/zgDnUcDQgm8

Or this one.
This one uses cream of mushroom soup.
The other one uses milk.
I'm not a fan of mixing meat and milk though.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Good point! I remember those packets from girls scout camp outs. They were made as a hamburger patty on the veg though, correct?
I remember making it with nonpattied ground beef, but that was in adulthood, not Girl Scouts. In GS, we made something called Campfire Stew. The latter was a cookpot concoction of browned hamburger and a few chopped veggies and diced potatoes, with canned minestrone or other vegetable soup added and simmered on the coals.

BTW, during the quasi-blizzard of March 2003 (CO Front Range), my house had no power for about four days. Without the main heat source (propane-fueled but electrically controlled hot air), I burned wood in our tiny wood stove that normally was just for auxiliary heat. I buried food perishables in the snow, figured the ice cream was history, but the frozen Mexican taquitos and minitacos all got eaten. I wrapped them in foil and placed the packets on TOP of the wood stove. The smell was incredibly good! They turned out just like they would have if grilled, but not dried out. Way better than nuking or baking or any regular method of heating them up.

I might try cooking in foil on our propane parlor stove this winter. Kills two birds with one stone, heating and cooking on the same source.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:06 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Parboil potatoes and slice fairly thin. Layer potatoes, thinly sliced onions and browned hamburger in a baking pan. Cover with foil and bake.

I like to put cheese in mine, but OP says no cheese.

No liquids added. Season with salt and pepper.

If you want "gravy" with it, OP, sprinkle the layers with a bit of flour and pour in about 3/4 c of milk before baking.

Those quick and easy recipes to make after work were always really simple.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 PM

I made it today!
Was hoping for leftovers for the next day.
No such luck.
It was delicious!

Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes, but the potato is mashed in a shepherds pie. Plus some veg ( normally peas & carrots) should be added to the meat mix., for a shepherds pie
I had it done with sliced many time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes