Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

HI have a question about the proper way to cook different cuts of beef. For example I just took a package of meat out of the freezer labeled "eye of sirloin". Does that mean it is just a smaller piece of sirloin? Should it be cooked like any other sirloin? I looked up eye of sirloin and didn't get much back. I have had mixed results with sirloin in the past, what would be the best way to get a nice tender sirloin?

I noticed I had some outside round steaks in there also. Any advice on that cut?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Calling mainebrokerman ...

Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Yep.

But OP can google the cut and find info on cooking it.

Different cuts of meat have varying names in different areas of the country.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
HI have a question about the proper way to cook different cuts of beef. For example I just took a package of meat out of the freezer labeled "eye of sirloin". Does that mean it is just a smaller piece of sirloin? Should it be cooked like any other sirloin? I looked up eye of sirloin and didn't get much back. I have had mixed results with sirloin in the past, what would be the best way to get a nice tender sirloin?

I noticed I had some outside round steaks in there also. Any advice on that cut?

Thanks
if you are in the u.s eye of sirloin is not an official cut but can be a peripheral cut..

sirloin can be 4 different cuts...
the sirloin strip steak (connects to a rib eye... sometimes called the new York or Kansas city strip)

the top butt sirloin ... on the rear side of the short-loin its a fairly large diameter steak....has a cap muscle -that's called a Coulotte steak or picanha

bottom sirloin flap meat …..this is a tender piece (3-5lbs) on the bottom sirloin......steak tips/sirloin tips and marinated beef tips

tri-tip also from the bottom sirloin area ...looks like a boomerang...muscle and can be very good

in the past 10 yrs more places are trying new ways in presenting a steak...

an eye of sirloin (which ive never heard) but my best guess is from a top butt......with cap removed and slice the top butt muscle it can also be called a baseball steak....a petite sirloin ..a chef's cut sirloin...

note if you see a description "sirloin tip steak" and its a very lean steak...its from a primal called a knuckle...from the round (hind leg) it connects to the sirloin but more of a round/lean /tough steak..

if I had an eye of sirloin steak and it is from the top butt..... i'd broil it or even pan sear it ...medium rare and slice thin against the grain …..

Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"...best way to get a nice tender sirloin?"
from a "tough" cut, this is what i do:

1. cover cut in "big" salt for 20 minutes.
not table salt, but the bigger crystal kind.
Kosher, Sea, etc.
2. thoroughly wash off all the salt.
3. cook the way you like.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Thanks
What are you looking to do with this cut? Steak? Roast?

Learn the animal. The bones. There are online charts; one of my local stores was selling chuck as strip steak at steak prices. I knew the bones. I knew it wasn't strip. (Some cuts of the chuck can be as tender as strip, but the price should be less than half.)

Old 09-13-2019, 01:32 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You've got meat in the freezer that you don't know what it is? Did you buy a side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes