Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 02:48 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,033,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How do you get out the acidity/tartness/sharpness/sourness from liquids like wines, and citruc juices like lemon?

I try to make those pan sauce that requires wine or lemon juice. I like these because you can use same pan you cook meat in. There is less cleaning afterwards.

I try to use non alcoholic wine. Is it just about reducing it further? If I reduce too much, wont there be less juices for the sauce. I also like to use lemon juice from bottle instead of a fresh lemon fruit.
Don't use non alcohol cooking wine, its all salt and cannot be reduced without consequences.
You can make a reduction using heavy cream and lemon juice if you want a lemony sauce.
try half a cup of cream and a couple spoonfull lemon, adjust with more lemon to taste, less is more here because it will concentrate as it reduces.

Lets say you made a steak and want a pan sauce, remove the steak ( or chicken etc) throw some diced shallot in the pan, deglaze the pan with red or dry white wine (chablis) or dry vermouth.
Bring it to the boil and swirl a blob of unsalted butter into it, it will thicken as you reduce it.
Don't add salt to a reducing sauce, its too easy to oversalt and ruin it.

The same can be made with diced shallot and wine vinegar, swirl a big blob of butter to finish after the vinegar reduces by half volume, keep boiling until it thickens.
Thats would be a pan version of marchand du vin sauce without flour.

I'm a retired french trained chef. Getting hungry again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 02:51 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,033,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
In case I add too much salt, how do I neutralize saltiness?

Salt and Pepper often accompany one another. Do the two neutralize each other?
Throw it away and start again. Don't salt a reduction.
Wait until its done.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:51 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
Two ways to reduce acidity: add sugar or else add a small amount of baking soda.

If you don't want to use real wine, use a good broth. With some recipes, you can use apple juice. Apple juice works well with pork recipes.

It won't be the same as the recipe made with wine, but it will be good.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:17 PM

11,904 posts, read 8,224,453 times
I know some people frown but I often use a pinch of sugar to reduce tartness. Or like gentlearts suggests, balsamic vinegar.

If you have a large quantity of something that is too salty cook a potato or two in it. (Such as soups or stews.) If the potato is unwanted just take it out.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:26 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,994,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t know anything about non alcohol wine, but if you cook down regular wine properly, the alcohol cooks off. I would definitely switch to regular wine. If you aren’t a wine drinker, i think you can buy small bottles so you don’t waste a big bottle. In general, though, if I need to take the bite out of something too sour I add a bit of honey, or balsamic vinegar.

In something like a chicken piccata, where you don’t want a sweet taste, you could cook the wine way down, then add some broth and butter to make more sauce. I just had this in a restaurant where they did not cook down the sauce enough and it was way too watery and sour.

You can also keep a bottle of dry vermouth in the fridge, lasts a long time.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:10 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I know some people frown but I often use a pinch of sugar to reduce tartness. Or like gentlearts suggests, balsamic vinegar.

If you have a large quantity of something that is too salty cook a potato or two in it. (Such as soups or stews.) If the potato is unwanted just take it out.
I do the same or I use a tiny bit of honey. either will work and will not change the basic flavor of the sauce. I have never heard of or thought of using baking soda.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:49 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
.......never heard of or thought of using baking soda.

Lemon and vinegar are acid. Baking soda is base, so it nuetralizes the acid.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:56 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,403 times
If you don't like the tartness of a liquid, just deglaze with water or stock. It lifts fond from the pan just as well, for less scrubbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes