Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 12:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

I add soy sauce to the org brown rice when I cook it.
Basmati for Indian food- sometimes butter and rose water.
Been doing this since the 1972. Comes out perfect.

Might as well add - I wash, rinse - one inch of water on top -
high, turn down to low, never stir- cover.
Bingo.

That's the rice I cook. Old habits die hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 12:10 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I don't add salt to rice, but sometimes I'll break up a cube of Knorr Chicken Soup bouillon and add it to my rice cooker.
The bouillon cube has salt in it.

It gives the rice a nice flavour.

I love rice. I can happily eat it with just a bit of salt and butter

Old 10-24-2019, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
I came to the states many snows and moons ago
On one occasion, my American friend, Greg invited me over for dinner and he started to cook rice, then, I noticed he added an iota bit of salt to the rice in the pot. I was surprised for where I grew up, yes, we eat rice, we never add salt when cooking rice, so, I asked him, "Any particular reason to add salt to rice?", as I recall, he said something like habit something...

But to this day, I still figure there might be a better reason.
Say, you're born American, not necessarily Asian American, and you eat rice from time to time, do you add salt to rice when cooking rice? I'm just very curious about this.

Thanks.
Cookbook directions, especially in older cookbooks, usually say to add salt. I have no idea why since they never say to add enough salt to change the flavor of the finished product. I have never bothered.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
When making plain rice, I never add salt. A pilaf-type thing with other ingredients, a small bit (unless I am using chicken stock, which already has salt in it).
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-24-2019, 01:46 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I have a vague memory of an explanation for adding salt to water for boiling foods; salted water has a slightly higher boiling point than unsalted water. That higher boiling point allows the solution reach a higher temp (which supplies more energy to actually transform the raw food) without agitating it. The water doesn't release as much energy as when it is actually boiling so it evaporates a bit less. The food doesn't scorch or burn as easily.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:22 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
I came to the states many snows and moons ago
On one occasion, my American friend, Greg invited me over for dinner and he started to cook rice, then, I noticed he added an iota bit of salt to the rice in the pot. I was surprised for where I grew up, yes, we eat rice, we never add salt when cooking rice, so, I asked him, "Any particular reason to add salt to rice?", as I recall, he said something like habit something...

But to this day, I still figure there might be a better reason.
Say, you're born American, not necessarily Asian American, and you eat rice from time to time, do you add salt to rice when cooking rice? I'm just very curious about this.

Thanks.
I have added salt and butter. But now I only cook the rice and add salt as I eat it.

I remember some directions say "Add salt to taste"...

Old 10-24-2019, 03:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Stopped reading posts after page 4, but here is the reason why salt, sugar or whatever is added to water when making pasta, rice, potatoes, or whatever.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/di...lt-pasta-water

Unless one adds huge amounts of salt when making pasta at least nearly all of it is drained away with water. Rice and other grains are different depending upon how they are being prepared.

Directions for making all sorts of grain cereals such as porridge, oatmeal, buckwheat, etc... call for adding a "pinch" of salt to water (or milk). I don't, but many do follow said advice.

For rice adding a bit of vinegar will give a fluffier result.

Adding any type of oil to water for making rice or pasta helps prevent sticking/clumping so you get fluffier rice or pasta that won't stick to itself when water is drained.

Too much oil in water when making pasta can result in poor adhesion of sauce, so don't go overboard.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is there a reason? I never have so don't understand the "of course".

https://www.finecooking.com/article/...g-taste-better

But no, I don't use it when cooking rice.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:41 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ha! When I think about - I never add salt when I cook rice or other grains. I never add salt when I cook Asian noodle either (already salted). But I add little salt when I cook any other noodle/pasta and of course - potatoes.
Americans add salt to everything, even a cake. Most salt stuff without even tasting.

I avoid sodium like the poison it is. There is so much that occurs naturally in foods we eat, that there is no need to make things worse, by adding it. Dairy foods are high in sodium and so are some vegetables, such as celery. Take a look at a can of no-salt-added tomatoes, that may have about 55 mg. of sodium and then at one with added salt, that has about 350 mg. or more. If you avoid all added sodium for about one week, your taste for it will change and you will no longer miss it. And you will be better able to appreciate the true flavors of your food, that are no longer overwhelmed by the added sodium.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:31 PM

764 posts, read 508,754 times
"I add soy sauce to the org brown rice when I cook it.",
interesting, first time to hear cooking rice this way, I guess we have to be creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes